Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » :::Tiger Stadium: Memories, Demolition & Saving Part of It::: » Stay away from my house, stadium "fans" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately for me I am a stone's throw away from Tiger Stadium, in Briggs.
The noise I can stand. The hoards of suburban white people I cannot.
Mostly, it is the garbage. I don't know if these people are naturally dirty, or if they figure, hey, its Detroit, I can leave my garbage here. But these people are leaving an inordinate amount of garbage surrounding my home, which I take great pride in. Yes, the neighborhood is full of garbage as it is, but we really do try to do our part to keep it nice.
I'll keep the rest of my opinions to myself regarding people coming to see the demolition.
I ask any of you, if you're down here and you see any spectators litter, kindly chew them out.

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will do. It's amazing how some suburban Tiger fans feel like their in the stadium once they step foot in detroit. They feel they can just throw their trash anywhere they please. There is nothing that pisses me off more. If I wasn't such a passivist, I would beat the living shit out of them. I see it all the time walking to games.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What kind of garbage are they leaving?

Deteamster

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Random "inside the car" type garbage and fast food containers. The least they could do if their fatasses are going to dick around here is pick up their shit and get a burger at Nemo's.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6171
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deteamster,

I can feel your pain, but what does it matter if the people are white, black, purple, or blue? There didn't seem to be any reason for the reference to "hoards of suburban white people", asking whether they are "naturally dirty", or referencing "these people." You simply outdid yourself in that short post. I don't get it, and I'm black.

Then going on to say that "I'll keep the rest of my opinions to myself" kind of says to me that this is something much bigger than people coming down and leaving garbage. Am I right or wrong about that?

Deteamster

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just so you know Lmichigan, I'm white.

First, my reference wasn't just a racial stab- in the time this has been going on I've seen maybe two black folks gawking at the stadium and then hundreds of white folks.
It just bothers me because many, though not all, of these people are the same who wish death and destruction upon the city, and probably haven't come down here in decades- and then just take some pictures, leave some garbage, and head back to wherever, probably without spending a dime in the city.
Secondly, I admit, I just don't understand the white suburban mentality. Sure, a lot of my friends live in the suburbs, and so does my family, but many, many times talking to suburbanites makes my head spin. Racism, urban sprawl, driving everyplace, cheap Detroit jokes- just makes my head spin.
Finally, I think they're just dorks. If they loved the stadium so much, they should have donated some money to saving it 9 years ago. Taking pictures of a demolition strikes me as kind of sadistic, plus, I wonder if these people have jobs or lives, since they're here constantly(except when it gets dark out! So I also find them moronic in that respect.

So yeah, it's not just the garbage. I do think most people would be irritated by dozens of tourists surrounding your home daily though.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7913
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Secondly, I admit, I just don't understand the white suburban mentality.

Let me help you then:
Trying to lead a good life like everybody else wants to do. Trying to raise their family in a safe environment with good schools and low crime. Wanting what's best for their kids. Just trying to get through life like everybody else.

That help?

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good thing you aren't being unnecessarily judgemental or anything like that.

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 219
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How are they even by your house? All the demolition is taking place along the service drive by the freeway. Do you live at Brooks Lumber? Checker Cab?

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 164
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, he lives at Brooks Lumber. He sleeps two pallets over from Peter Riley.

Deteamster

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Let me help you then:
Trying to lead a good life like everybody else wants to do. Trying to raise their family in a safe environment with good schools and low crime. Wanting what's best for their kids. Just trying to get through life like everybody else.

That help?"
Wow. Guess I hit a little too close to home, eh JohnWhiteFlight?
I guess you conveniently ignored my frustration with racism and urban sprawl. I think they're missing you over at the Freep forums by the way.

"How are they even by your house? All the demolition is taking place along the service drive by the freeway. Do you live at Brooks Lumber? Checker Cab?"

Wow, your knowledge of Detroit astounds me, please rattle off more local businesses. I'm A LOT closer than you think. I'd tell you exactly where I live, but it's none of your damn business. They're in my backyard and frontyard, and that's as much as you need to know, okay?

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 6:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7923
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wow. Guess I hit a little too close to home, eh JohnWhiteFlight?

John WhiteFlight? I live in Ferndale, and was born in Novi. From where did I fly? Novi? Nice try. More proof you like to make assumptions about people with absolutely no knowledge. Take a look at this thread, people have had enough of the city vs. suburb B.S. If you want to play that card, perhaps you can get a position in the Kilpatrick administration. Barbara Rose Collins would be happy to have you.

You generalized and stereotyped millions of people in our region, then you think I'm the one who belongs at the freep forums? Those are your peeps, buddy. They love stereotyping there. They just usually do it the other way around. Either way, it's ignorant, and makes up a lot of the problems in this area.

Here's hoping you learn to be a solution instead of a problem.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2217
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i dunno man, every day when i drive past the stadium and see all the white suburbanites i just wonder where the hell they've been in 9 years since the place closed. i empathise deteamster

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it's not your responsibility,

But maybe you could put out a trash can and a sign or two? There are old style metal trash barrels littered on vacant lots all over the city.

At the least, I would recommend putting out a sign asking nicely for them to stop. I know it shouldn't be that way... :-(

I remember when they dredged Newburgh Lake. The bottom was littered with garbage and contaminants. They were so proud of themselves when it was refilled. However, they never installed trash cans on the docks and park surrounding the lake. The place was settled with pollutants and garbage in a matter of months.

Littering becomes a problem when there are no trash cans in easy reach. I notice that Cedar Point (Amusement Park) has no problems with littering. They have trash cans everywhere, and it goes a long way. Go over to a Six Flags Park... they have not a single trash can in their line areas. Garbage sits in giant piles surrounding the area, and you have to walk over some disgusting stuff in line. You'll notice that CBD streets with trash cans are always a little cleaner too. The area around The Tuller and Statler sites have been perfect examples. Walk just a block North, it's a whole different story. Adams has trash cans, Bagley does not.

It's all about trash cans.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 325
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must say this is the worst thread ever. Deteamster, have you driven down Chene lately? Lots of trash there and I did not see one white person. Ok maybe its been there since the "took Flight"

Wormbookie
Username: Wormbookie

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody should have to deal with people treating their home like a dumpster.