Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » :::Tiger Stadium: Memories, Demolition & Saving Part of It::: » They're changing the deadline again! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jazzfan
Username: Jazzfan

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George Jackson & the DEGC is now giving the OTSC until November 1st to come up with the funds. They had agreed last week on a March 1st deadline. They really want them to fail and raise the entire stadium, don't they? Talking about changing the rules!

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you read?

March 1 is now the date the conservancy must show it can meet fundraising goals, or the entire stadium will be razed. But the Nov. 1 deadline is just as important because the conservancy and the foundation must show they have a solid financial plan.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20080807/BIZ/8 08070392

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 716
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they can't save the entire field, which granted is massive, I would like them to save at least the infield portion and maybe turn it into a kids' diamond. That would leave lots of room for development on the remainder of the block.
If you've ever been to Cooperstown you know there is something special about a diamond atttached to a museum, even when not in use. With just a few seats, the dugouts and a small ball diamond it would really add to the setting regardless of what else is built.

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 276
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed. A cozier, more compact setting seems more appealing. Less maintenance, as well. Then again, I've always been a big fan of old wooden parks like Rickwood in Birmingham, Ala., and some of the more intimately scaled minor league ball yards.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2745
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 4:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I was a Corktown resident, I would want a playground/ballfield within walking distance. Currently, I can't think of one south of the Fisher Freeway. Saving a portion of the stadium is nice(I don't think you need to save 3000 seats however), but a good portion of the land should be saved for a real playground.

Save most of the field and where some of the stands used to be, put some swings and your typical modern playscape/jungle gym. A nice walking track and a full court basketball court would be nice additions too. The Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy, not Detroit Recreation, would be responsible for maintaining the property.

Any future residential development in Corktown, especially around the old stadium should market the playground/ballfield as an important community asset. Any of the land west of Tiger Stadium, instead of the actual Tiger Stadium land, could be used for future commercial development, like using it for a supermarket and small shops. Again, if I was a Corktown resident, this is what I would like to see done to the Tiger Stadium site.