Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Fast Food Chains in Metro Detroit « Previous Next »
Archive through August 08, 2008Detroitrise30 08-08-08  2:20 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 194
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In many cases the 'chain restaurants' are franchised, and owned by local businesspeople. So while some of the money does flow out of the state via franchise fees, there is still support for local ownership.

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 176
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Waffle House offers a great breakfast for the money. Great for travelers.
The waffles are great.

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indiana (where I grew up) had it's own Waffle House chain (Still 24 Hours, but white exteriors, not yellow and black). Now all but one of them is called Sunshine Cafe. The lack of naming rights in Indiana may have slowed Waffle House's progression into Michigan.

http://wilstar.com/OverCoffee/ blog/2007/05/waffle-house-memo ries.html

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 714
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing the U.S. has over Canada is family restaurant chains - Dennys, Friendlys, Cracker Barrel, Bob Evans, etc.
Even in Toronto, there are virtually none. As I joined the 45+ crowd recently I really appreciate not having to go to a rest/bar. for every meal. Some chain homecookin (meatloaf, pie) is great. Big Boy started heading down the 401 from Windsor-London-Cambridge about 15 yrs. ago by they closed after a few yrs. The few Denny's we have are like $8.95 for the same Grand Slam breakfast that you guys pay 3.95.

Mrnittany
Username: Mrnittany

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Skyline Chili in Metro Detroit. One location in Michigan (Lansing).

They're very hit or miss: people who don't grow up with it love it or (mostly) hate it. I'm in the latter group.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 376
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been to the Culver's on Sashabaw Road. Terrible, would not eat there again. The burger was flat as a pancake with no flavor whatsoever. The only good thing was the frozen custard but I could go to Erma's in Utica for that.

The Hardee's in Hazel Park was a disaster. Probably should not have eaten there after viewing the carnage in the bathroom.

When's the last time you saw a Rax?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1939
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wood, welcome to Detroit.

No reason to generalize.

Some of us "Buy American fanatics" detest SUVs and shop locally.
Good for the economy, better service, better feeling of community.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For really good healthy food, I like Fazoli's Italian, also liked Burger Chef. Hot N Now is good but, the closest I know of is in Coldwater. Rally's can be good. I live in Houston and we have Whataburger, Jack In The Box, Sonic, Captain D's, Chic Fil A, Panda Express(Greaty Asian Quick), CiCi's, and Jamba Juice. I like Taco Bell once in awhile, Long John Silvers, A&W, Burger King and even McDonalds. I like Fuddruckers, too. I like both Waffle House and Huddle House. I like Coney Island, too. My brother in law works at the one up on Van Dyke and Hall Road. He's been with them over 30 years.

Oh, and Wood: Skip the politics. It's just a burger.

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't mean to insinuate that EVERY "buy american fanatic" fails to otherwise shop locally, but in this case I don't think there's anything wrong with the generalization. the culture of chain restaurants and chain shopping in the suburbs seems pretty undeniable, as does the culture of keeping an American car in the garage.

in the short time I've been here I have enjoyed discovering all kinds of wonderful independent and locally-owned businesses in the suburbs and I sometimes make special trips out of the city to support them. but as I drive there I can't help but feel perplexed at why a region so singularly focused on buying american (in this case, buying local) automobiles largely fails to apply those lessons on a larger economic and commercial scale.

I have tried to have this discussion with friends who are "buy american fanatics" but the second their beloved theory starts to threaten their cheap made-in-china Target purchases or their delicious-but-fattening national-chain fast food choices they cover up their ears. so sad because one thing I really love about this area is all the delicious-but-fattening non-national-chain fast food restaurants (that practically sit empty while the chains thrive)!

And Diane, the next time someone yells at me for "driving foreign" I'll just use your excuse. it's just a car.

(Message edited by wood on August 09, 2008)

(Message edited by wood on August 09, 2008)

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 67
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Utah and we have just seen our first (maybe only) Five Guys Burgers and Fries. Similar to In-n-Out in that make their own fries from big potatoes. I think they started in the east....nothing in Michigan I presume.

Designerguy24
Username: Designerguy24

Post Number: 149
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need a Halo Burger in the Detroit area closest one is at Burch Run!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3327
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I'm hearing is "we need!".

How about the ones that keep saying "we need!" buy a franchise & open themselves one in Detroit?

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 132
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We broke!

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1417
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nah!

Why buy a well known name to compete if there is nobody to compete against?

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 274
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow we have a chic fil a at oakland? Is it too early for chicken biscuits? I've been complaining about not having a chic fil a for years.

www.DetroitArmy.com

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 283
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sonic is on Fort St. near Penn. I have wanted to go many times, but every time I want to, its wayyy to busy.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 935
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re: Halo Burger... Closer to Detroit than Birch Run: try Grand Blanc. 75 north to 475 north to exit 2 (Hill Road). East about a mile.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 286
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deandub11, re-read my post...Chick fil A's on campus @ Oakland University in Rochester...Pioneer Food Court @ Oakland Center 2200 N. Squirrel Road Rochester, MI 48309-4401
http://www.chick-fil-a.com/loc alsite.aspx?storeid=80391
http://www4.oakland.edu/?id=24 &sid=28

Flyingj

Post Number: 287
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rooms222, a friend's aunt dated Rich Snyder...so they got to cruise around Newport Harbor in his yacht. Another friend's dad was an exec with the company for years. He had a rather ugly falling out, a good thing too or he would've been in a fiery heap alongside the 55 for sure. Snyder's mother died a couple years ago, the main arguments are taking the company public & national expansion. Both would hinder the care the family has taken in terms of quality, they really do inspire their employees to do their personal best-it's a regimen, really. Family squabbles in big business are nothing new to this town, it's a shame none of the Big 3 are run the Snyder's way, frankly;
http://www.dochemp.com/0inout. html
http://daily.stanford.edu/arti cle/2006/9/25/rumorsSwirlAroun dInnout
http://www.ocregister.com/ocre gister/news/local/obituaries/a rticle_1234643.php

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5488
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone ever had Hot N Now on Gratiot? What is it like? Any good?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3333
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Patrick, I've been there. Hot 'N Now isn't all that.

It's something like an A&W. They have 59 cent hambugers.

Flyingj

Post Number: 288
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, Hot n Now's alright-as far as Michigan Cuisine History goes they're out of Grand Rapids, Pepsi bought a huge chunk of them years ago with the idea of taking it national like Taco Bell, KFC, Pizza Hut-since none of their Tri-Con brands serve burgers, but the deal fell apart(more lawsuits) & most of them closed in the aftermath;
http://www.ahajokes.com/cartoo n/373.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H ot_'n_Now
For driving 90 minutes, then acting a little too excited over .99 cheeseburgers these guys are suspect;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =AXXPXyrorpI

Lferg
Username: Lferg

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The two I miss (I now live out of State) are Tubby's and White Castle. We do have a Krystal Burger about 20 miles away, but it's not the same.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 243
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if you can call them a chain but there are a few Scalawags scattered across Michigan.

The one I miss is White Tower which had the best cheese sliders of any burger joint.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is that place near one of the East side Mile roads? They used to advertise "real big" sandwiches on late night TV. Seriously, they would show "Dagwood" style sandwiches. Ridiculous amounts of meat piled in between two pieces of bread and condiments.

Are they still around? I always wanted to go there once, but never have.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd settle for a trip to Dog 'N' Suds....

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 275
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I called Oakland University out of sheer excitement over Chick Fil A and they said it doesn't open until Sept. 2nd. This could be the start of something great.

www.DetroitArmy.com

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 4:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tarkus, what is your source about the Sonic in Mount Clemens?

There used to be a Hot Dog on a Stick inside of Lakeside. I always thought they had good food and their employees wore those cool uniforms.

Cabezon
Username: Cabezon

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 5:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's not forget about fast mexican food. Rubio's, La Salsa, and Baja Fresh are chains out here in CA. I know there are some Baja Fresh locations in MI. Frozen yogurt just got big out here too. The popular chains are Pinkberry and Red Mango. Pretty tasty.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3380
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Let's not forget about fast mexican food. Rubio's, La Salsa, and Baja Fresh are chains out here in CA. I know there are some Baja Fresh locations in MI. Frozen yogurt just got big out here too. The popular chains are Pinkberry and Red Mango. Pretty tasty."

Taco Bell? Del Taco?

Cabezon

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, Taco Bell and Del Taco dont really qualify as Mexican taquerias. But, if nasty beef and cheese concoctions are what you desire...bon apetit

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3382
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh, you don't have to be a smart-ass about it.

Even if their food isn't authentic or "good", it's still all Mexican themed.

Sort of like Olive Garden considers itself an Italian restaurant.

Thedeadofnight
Username: Thedeadofnight

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Tarkus, what is your source about the Sonic in Mount Clemens?"

Though I'm not "Tarkus", if this helps, my mother worked for Macomb County (she just retired this summer) and was telling me about the new Sonic going in at the Meijer complex on Groesbeck & Cass.

Cabezon

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise relax, I'm just presenting some facts. Go to Taco Bell and have some nachos with fake cheese squirted on them. Some real Metro-Detroit area "mexican"-american food.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"In addition to the Southgate drive-in, a Sonic in Canton Township is in the works.

As planned or proposed, communities that will be home to additional Sonic restaurants could include Flat Rock, Lincoln Park, Taylor, Woodhaven, Monroe, Livonia, Westland and Garden City."

http://www.thenewsherald.com/s tories/022008/loc_20080220001. shtml

Also there are tons of CiCi's Pizza's in Michigan - in Canton, Ypsilanti, Madison Heights, Utica, Lansing and Garden City

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The most wonderful place for Mexican although not a franchise is Mexican Fiesta on Ford and Telegraph. They have got real authentic going on and prices are great. You get tons and their salsa is yummy especially the hot one. You get complimentary hot chips and salsa right away, service is excellent and they refreshingly serve coleslaw with their meals. It is a nice contrast to the heaviness of cheese and spice. I recommend the chicken enchiladas. You get two generously stuffed with rice, beans and slaw. You may not have room for dessert but their flan and fried ice cream are terrific. They've got a full bar, too with lots of specials. Since service is so awesome there, I almost consider it fast food but, fast food with comfy booths.

For Italian fast food, I highly recommend Fazolis. Food is great, all the bread sticks you can down and the price is cheap.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3390
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cabezon, I'm just telling it like it is.

If you meant what Diane is describing, then say that (which is a sit-down restaurant). You said "Fast Mexican Food", and Taco Bell & Del Taco is Fast Mexican Food.

Really, there are no franchised mexican food restaurants that are authentic.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on August 13, 2008)

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 304
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, Cabezon, Baja Fresh and the like are hardly authentic Mexican. Sure, they taste MUCH better than Taco Bell, but they're nothing close to a real Mexican taqueria.

Mexicans do not eat soft flour tortillas or hard shells for tacos, taquitos, etc.; those are Tex Mex inventions. They only eat corn tortillas, always soft and fried.

Additionally, Mexicans generally do not eat things like burritos, fish tacos, chips & salsa, etc. These are American inventions, or, at the very least, they are MUCH more popular north of the border.

Typical Mexican food is stuff like huraraches, pozole, chilaquiles, etc. You will never see this stuff on a Baja Fresh menu.

How about all the "broasted" chicken places in metro Detroit? Most of them are delicious. Chicken Shack is the best of the bunch. The potatoes are especially good.

I have not seen such places anywhere else.