Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » The Start of an Urban Garden and Neighbourhood Gathering Place » Archive through July 25, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1495
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I still have my unwashed Just Go t-shirt to prove it.

I'll try to make it on Saturday, what time?

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 753
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't yet coordinated with the Cubmiester yet, so when I do(tonight) I will post right away so you have some time to plan for it.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2411
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub - looks like we'll be cruisin' by around 11:30 and noon tomorrow. Is that time frame good for you? You're on the corner of Georgia and Vinton, right?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13542
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PlyRes,

You think 1984 is POLITICAL? Oh shit, you just don't understand me at all.

Help them to think outside the box, my friend.

Cheers

Gnome

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be reading text messages, maybe gannon can play Christine

Gannon

Post Number: 13546
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nah, I don't WANT people to know who the fuck I am.

Can I be an anonymous thug EPU crack shot instead?

Or is that crack POT?!

Oh the wonders of my synapses before caffeine...

Plymouthres

Post Number: 756
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i read that when I was about 14 and then started to really understand it when I was about 18 and actually cared.

For a bunch of little kids, too deep and definitely premature. For someone just coming of age, very appropriate!

I'll stick with "One Bear, One Wheel", thank you, for anyone under 10!

Actually, the Constitution, Bill of Rights, the Federalist Papers or "The Creature From Jekyll Island" would be a lot more eye opening than Orwell......and more my speed.

Don't do well with the conspiracy theory stuff, as you well know of me. Prefer something a bit more "grounded", if you will....

Gannon

Post Number: 13551
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

George Orwell's 1984 for the older ones.

Un-huh. Heh. As IF I'm going to load up young'uns with heavy heady stuff...again, you miss my point and assume I'm going to overspeak to a crowd.

Yeah, I know it happens here on a regular basis...but face-to-face I can at least SEE the ability of some to engage, sometimes I even notice when I've gone too far!

heh

As for that last line, EVERYONE needs a little conspiracy spice to their diet...makes the mind wander some, which can ONLY be a good thing.

Gannon

Post Number: 13552
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Un-huh. Heh. As IF I'm going to load up young'uns with heavy heady stuff...again, you miss my point and assume I'm going to overspeak to a crowd.

Yeah, I know it happens here on a regular basis...but face-to-face I can at least SEE the ability of some to engage, sometimes I even notice when I've gone too far!

heh

As for that last line, EVERYONE needs a little conspiracy spice to their diet...makes the mind wander some, which can ONLY be a good thing.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 637
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Eriedearie, yes that will be fine. I will be there. The garden is on Georgia and Vinton.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 757
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon-

You should know my sense of humor by now.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Cub

Post Number: 638
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Res, is six ok I am doing a flier now.

Gannon

Post Number: 13556
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

heh

Cub

Post Number: 639
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you fall asleep on the "post message" button? LOL!

Gnome

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ccc

Cub

Post Number: 640
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL! ^^^

Plymouthres

Post Number: 758
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I'm guilty! Six is fine! I'll call in a bit!

Gannon

Post Number: 13558
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The way this day has gone, I'm not sure I'll be sleeping for a while.

I'm on fire today...so much going on, but just had to go through some computer maintenance...so I was off-line for a while.

Dunno how it got to nine o'clock though.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2425
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub - Thanks for showing Mr. Erie and me around the garden today. We sure had a nice time chatting with you and your neighbor, as well as all the people that stopped by. Everyone is so interested your project.

Ohhh - and the cute 'lil watermelon you showed us. I'm glad we were there when you discovered that honey dew. I've never seen either kind of melon on the vine before.

You're doing a fantastic job there - Farmer Cub!

Cub

Post Number: 644
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Thank you! Anytime you want to come by, come you don't need me there. Pick what you want. I wish I could have heard your conversation with my neighbor. I still cant believe all the people that came by at the same time.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naively scanning through (only) the recent posts in this thread, I felt good about the co-operation described. This is kind-of-like the Detroit I (had) wished and wanted for. Various people working together to help each other. Maybe not popular, but real, and heart-felt. Considered corny, cult-ish, phony, or maybe un-realistic, by many.

(Message edited by vetalalumni on July 24, 2008)

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2434
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vetalalumni - "Various people working together to help each other." --- That describes the kind of Detroit I grew up in. What we witnessed yesterday at the Georgia Street Community Garden was EXACTLY how things were in that very same neighborhood when I was a kid. I lived there from 1955 till 1966. All the neighbors stopping by to exchange pleasantries when they saw you outside. Several cars drove by and the occupants waved - and we waved back. I don't know if they were Cub's friends or if they just felt neighborly seeing all of us gathered there! That is how it was in the 50s and 60s.

I wish everyone could have lived in the Detroit I used to know. I think this community spirit that Cub is fostering should spread and reach throughout all of the city till all of Detroit is on the same page as Cub's neighborhood. It does the spirit good to see this happening first hand.

Cub - your neighbor was asking me about the history of different buildings in the area and what they were when I lived there. And, I was telling him where my friends lived, and different anecdotes about their families and such. I had a great time filling him in. This is one time I felt good being the "old-timer" LOL. Tell him I said hi - and to give me some sort of a signal when he stops being a lurker! :-)

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 728
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub- I cruised by a little while ago. The garden looks fabulous! you are the man!

Cub

Post Number: 647
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Greening of Detroit called yesterday. They had extra plants. I couldn't let them go to waste. So I have to decide, do I expand Georgia St. Garden II or start Bessemore St. Garden?
This is amazing I had no idea it would get to this. Thank you DetroitYes for all of your support and I mean that from the bottom of my big ol' heart.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 776
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep it close this year, in my opinion, advertise for an expansion next year, over the winter publicize for someone to run the new one on Bessemore Street, and work someone else responsible into the equation.

Remember, as one who leads, you are ALWAYS trying to work yourself out of a job, and the older folks need you now. Keep up the good work.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2438
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good advice Res - a leader is willing to Delegate. Cub, you got the ball rolling and you want to keep it going...but you can't do it all yourself and have a life on the side. You'll work yourself to burnout. And Detroit NEEDS you for some larger horizons in the future. So do some delegating buddy :-) <she says from the heart>

(Message edited by eriedearie on July 24, 2008)

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 474
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey CUB, When you started the garden did you think that people would end up wanting you to run for mayor? Even with my tiny garden i myself get overwhelmed at times. But i see what you do and don,t complain.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 780
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub has to be the most sincere, honest man that I have met in many years, is worthy of the position as he serves people, and would at least give anyone I know a run for their money. One day he will run for office, and I believe his integrity and character will enable him to get there.

Of course, votes will help out,too!

Cub

Post Number: 651
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Reddog. No I didnt think people would think I should run for mayor. I do think I will be in a public office in the future though. The garden does keep me pretty busy. I like it that way. It keeps me on my toes. I have started to get a little help so now I can concentrate on other things.

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres-I would love some black raspberry bushes!

Jams-I'd love the red ones too. Thanks for your generosity. I have just the place for them...

Plymouthres-if you have my contact info, please drop me an email, and please send me Jams' contact info as well. Sounds like I'll have to get to his plants before he moves. And if you don't have it, let me know and i'll post it here.

thanks guys! maybe this will be a good reason to stop by Cub's little miracle. maybe i can find a way to contribute...