Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Fast Food Chains in Metro Detroit » Archive through August 08, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the vein of the "When is the Sonic going to open thread" and the "We need a Cheesecake Factory" thread, I present the top 50 Quick Service Restaurants(i.e. fast food chains as reported in QSR magazine) that are either not in Metro Detroit or have only a few scattered branches (so you can go try them is you wish).

Were in Detroit, but left-

Jack in the Box Burgers (closest St. Louis)

Captain D's Seafood (closest Defiance and Lima OH)

Only a few around-

Sonic Drive In- Downriver only with more to come

Chick-fil-a- Oakland University Food Court and Toledo

Hardee's/Carls Jr.- Hazel Park and Sterling Heights

Panda Express- Great Lakes Crossing

Culver's Butterburger and Ice Cream- Westland

CiCi's Pizza Buffet- Garden City and Madison Heights

Del Taco- Eastpoint, Dearborn Heights, and Clawson

Papa Murphy's Take and Bake Pizza- Canton

Not in Detroit Area-

Whataburger- Brunswick GA

Bojangles Chicken and Biscuits- TN

Zaxby's Chicken- Columbus OH

El Pollo Loco-CA

Jamba Juice- IL

Krystal Burgers- Lexington KY

Jason's Deli- Chicago

In-N-Out Burger- CA

All the others are well represented in Detroit.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I refuse to frequent chain restaurants and I encourage everyone to do the same.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8076
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the looks of Southeast Michigan, we are not in need of any more greasy fat food.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 930
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Culver's opened a new location in Lake Orion (Lapeer & Brown roads) last week.

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Norwalk,

Why?

Zephyrmec
Username: Zephyrmec

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I avoid fast food like the plague, but seeing this thread has made me think about driving to Pollo Tropical (HQ-Miami) for lunch. It's very tasty and healthy food, I wish that they would let out some more franchise licenses. The grilled chicken is incredible, and the rest of the menu is head and shoulders above any other take-out.
The closest one to me is about 25 miles, I need to go that direction anyway this afternoon.

Jazzfan
Username: Jazzfan

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do we need ANY fast food chains? They all suck. If I'm going to dine out, I'd much rather support a locally-owned restaurant.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3318
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fatburger has a location in Southfield & a new one is poised to open in Wayne State sometime soon.

Anyway, we have...

-McDonalds
-Burger King
-KFC
-Taco Bell
-Pizza Hut
-White Castle
-Dunkin Donuts
-Krispy Kreme
-Hardees
-Tim Hortons
-Arbys
-Baskin-Robbins
-Ben & Jerry's
-Church's Chicken
-Popeyes Chicken & Biscuits (our version of Bojangles)
-Coney Islands
-Tubby's
-Charley's Steakery
-Subway
-Chester's Fried Chicken
-Flaming Wok
-Little Caesars
-Dominoes
-Jet's Pizza
-Hungry Howies
-Happy's Pizza
-Pizzapapalis
-Buddy's Pizza
-Checkers
-Dairy Queen
-Long John Silvers
-Louie's Ham & Corned Beef

I could go on & on. So we're fine in the fast food department. The reason we don't have some chains is because they're mainly regional (like Big Boys & The Coney Island is to us).

(Message edited by DetroitRise on August 08, 2008)

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 567
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Culvers and Del Taco both have locations in Roseville. A Sonic is going in the new Meijer complex on Grosebeck in Clinton Twp.

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Chicago study found that spending $100 at an independent businesses creates $68 in additional local economic activity, while spending $100 at a chain generates only $43 worth of local impact.

I try to explain this to the "buy American" fanatics around this area, but they're usually too busy driving their American SUVs to some chain restaurant or store to pay attention.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1045
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Pita is healthy, and it's a Michigan company.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3319
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wood, Johnlodge, Norwalk, Zephyrmec & Jazzfan, people can eat whatever, whenever & whereever they want, so I don't see the issue.

It's like the health/fitness nuts telling us everything is unhealthy & only making skinni/buff look good.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on August 08, 2008)

Detmi7mile

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise,

I agree. I eat at both chains and local. Sometimes I feel like getting a nice meal at Jacoby's, then another day I might want White Castle because I don't necessarily have the time to sit down and eat or wait.

Craig

Post Number: 931
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I try to explain this to the "buy American" fanatics around this area, but they're usually too busy driving their American SUVs to some chain restaurant or store to pay attention.

So don't leave us hanging: what do you drive?

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 244
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Norwalk, I frequent chain restaurants, and you only give me more encouragement to do so. We also don't have Carls Jr. and Canada has Harvey's, both really good burger joints.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 525
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I request a Wienerschnitzel ASAP! I was in love with the Polish sandwich when I lived in Arizona
http://www.wienerschnitzel.com /
I would TOTALLY join the Wiener Lover's Club!

Detmi7mile

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh I forgot, we need a Cheddar's. It was THE spot for everyone to hang out when I was in school in Virginia. Cheap food, but tastes great. I could get chicken fingers with fries and broccoli, along with a shrimp basket with the same thing for about 18 dollars. And that's with the incredibly high food tax they have down there. Yeah I'm a fatty (but skinny as a stick...high metabolism).

Maryellen22471
Username: Maryellen22471

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there is a culvers in Taylor as well.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 247
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a Culver's on Sashabaw Rd. just north of I-75 in Clarkston. Also, I've seen several In-N-Out Burgers; I know there's one on M-24 in Lapeer, and I'm pretty sure there are ones closer to Metro Detroit than that.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 283
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtowncitylover You're not out in the cold on Carls Jr, they bought out Hardee's(that & "The Green Burrito" merger cost Carl Karcher is gig pretty muych the same thing in Hazel Park);
http://detroit.citysearch.com/ profile/map/44166845/hazel_par k_mi/hardee_s.html

Chick fil A @ the Pioneer Food Court @ Oakland U in Rochester, MI;
http://www4.oakland.edu/?id=25 7&sid=3

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

craig, I drive a VW that I bought when I lived in a state where I didn't have yahoos in SUVs accosting me at stoplights for killing the local economy.

I am happy acknowledge buying michigan-built cars helps the local economy. I am planning to buy a michigan-built car when I next need one. I'm just not going to sell the one I have right now, particularly because after 60,000 miles it hasn't needed any service aside from regular oil changes.

I do wish that the "buy american" fanatics in this area saw beyond their garages when it comes to putting their own money back into the local economy. one thing I like about living in the city of detroit is the LACK of chain stores and restaurants, and this is what dismays me the most about visiting the suburbs. I see a bustling economy in the strip malls of the detroit suburbs. unfortunately, most the money being spent is heading out-of-state.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 290
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is also a Culver's on Belleville Road just off I-94.

Rooms222

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carl's Jr. and Hardees now have a relationship like Rally's/Checkers in the early years. Their menu is about 80-90% the same and they coordinate their marketing and special menu items. Over time they seem to be becoming almost identical.

Craig

Post Number: 933
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fair enough, Wood. Mixing politics and consumerism takes work, and this entire country would be better off if we insisted that our cars were built here, socks were knitted in the Carolinas, our apples grown in Washington, TVs made in Indiana, etc.

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 103
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dustin, I think you must be seeing some other chain - there are no In-N-Out locations in Michigan, I am pretty certain about that. It's strictly a west coast chain.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3322
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Yes, and the owner himself says he plans to keep it that way (as long as he lives).

Rooms222

Post Number: 116
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The husaband and wife founders of In-N-Out as well as their children are all deceased....
See below for the infighting about the company...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L ynsi_Martinez

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 333
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just feel that you can have no experience but alot of $$ you can open a chain restaurant. But for someone to choose a location, design a decor and develop a menu all while finding the best suppliers and pull it off thats where I want to spend my $$. Wood touched on it as well about the impact on the local economy. But hey thats just me. I don't do Wal-mart either.

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 175
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I travel out of Michigan, I really like going to "Waffle House" for breakfast. The ones with the big yellow block letters.I don't understand why there are none in Michigan??

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3323
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Except for 1 or 2 in Toledo, there isn't a single Waffle House north of I-80.

I hear they want to expand northward, but they're having a hard time finding franchise owners.