Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Black owned » Archive through August 13, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just looking on Google Streetview I saw a store that said it was black owned.
I have no problem with that, but what does it matter if it's black owned? Do black owned businesses usually say so?
It just kind of surprised me. If they want blacks to come in and support their business because it is black owned I understand, I've just never seen that before.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I'm certainly not trying to. I'm just curious.

Here's the sign.
http://tinyurl.com/6bf7xv

It's at the corner of Erwin and Traverse.

(Message edited by leannam1989 on August 13, 2008)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8161
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if there is a "Black Owned" lawnmower somewhere for that grass.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2940
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Detroit is a vibrant place for that kind of bloc marketing. (And, back in 1967, in the heat of the looting, it was a way to try to ward off crime for the hottest nights.)

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In many urban communities, there is some serious animosity between Chaldean/Arab and Black Folk...

The idea of "Black Owned" or "BO&O" you'll sometimes see especially on cleaners and liquor stores is to signify to the neighborhood that it's one of them who own the place and if you shop there you're supporting a black business owner, and many times, that owner lives in the neighborhood.

The roots of this are that there are only a few businesses and sources of jobs, and it's frustrating to some that those jobs and that money leaves the city and black community. On the flip side, the Chaldeans and Arab descent folks are many times the only people who will invest in those areas. As with most conflicts, nobody's 100% right or wrong.

I would say black-arab animosity is way higher than black-white animosity in my experience.

Black-owned and minority owned is commonly mentioned - Works very well in getting government contracts - can have bad effects if you're going for corporate work unless the corporation you're selling to needs to fill a quota.

A VERY large number of Detroit-based businesses rely almost entirely on quotas and government work.

This is anecdotal, but 4 of 5 private companies I run into in the city have government work as their cornerstone client, whether it be the national, city, state, or the schools. And usually, the 1 that's not is white-owned.

Interpret that as you will.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge - go down Erwin a little bit and you'll find what looks like a black-owned lawnmower working hard to take care of some grass :-)

http://tinyurl.com/5qovsk

(Trying to accentuate the positive)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 259
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol @ JL.

This isn't that unusual.

Personally, I have mixed feelings about this sort of thing. I understand that blacks are trying to "rise up" and whatnot and I can see why, all other things being equal, some black people might want to support a black business over a white or arab business since its harder for blacks to get access to capital to open a business with and because black businesses are relatively rare as a result.

On the other hand, it's similar to the whole "Buy American" thing that tries to guilt people into buying cars that they'd have no problem buying in the first place if the quality was there...if you make a quality product or provide a quality service, then people will buy it regardless of whether it's American made or black owned or whatever.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3398
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That store looks pretty abandoned to me. Can anyone verify that it's still open?

I think that the practice of painting "black owned" on a building came about to discourage vandals from destroying the property.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8163
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice catch, DV!

Fmstack
Username: Fmstack

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm white, but I'm completely for black businessowners who choose to identify their stores as black-owned. In Detroit, a sign like that indicates that money spent there will most likely stay in the community, in one sense or another.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8164
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about "Detroiter-Owned". Then you really know money spent there will stay in the community.

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"black owned" is usually code word for "I got crappy stuff and crappy service so I'm gonna rely on some sort of emotioanl response to run my business". That's why you typically see it written on abandoned buildings or businesses that are no longer in business, because they got crappy stuff and crappy service. Just avoid it, it'll most likely be out of business in a little bit anyway.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 344
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed that some time ago driving on Grand Boulevard. I wasn't sure if I welcome in the store.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2943
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about black-owned, but I've been seeing more and more bank-owned properties lately.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8166
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

laugh/cry

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 775
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't know about black-owned, but I've been seeing more and more bank-owned properties lately.

Speaking of which, anyone notice that this store is a block away from the $1 house in the other thread?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2555
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it would be very humorous if a white guy opened a party store, painted "Black Owned" on the storefront, and hired a local black guy to sit up in the little office area and sell money orders. Then, if anybody asks him why the rest of the staff is white, he can smirk and say, "'Cuz they show up on time."

If you are thinking about ripping me for my comments, don't bother, because A)I'm just playing, and B)I don't care.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll reply first, Ravine: That was funny. Purely funny.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 298
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 'Black owned' and operated sub-system is an antiquated philosophy within the Black experience__to be sure 'we' have a more refined and multifaceted plan for conveying Black power...which includes the larger society...and perhaps, a good thing is...'basic whites people' don't have a clue to what it is about__go figure!

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised_atcha!

blksoul_atcha!
Founding member of the BJL
Obama' 08!

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...'basic whites people'

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 209
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a strong opinion about this, being i am Chaldean and not Arab. The reason why we just work our stores in the city and "take your money and run to them burbs" is because why in the world would we do otherwise when liquor stores and supermarkets have continuous problems with theft, racism, and all of the above. I assume there are a lot of people on this forum who do have issues with Chaldeans, but if anything the city government should be doing more to look out for us because were the only people who will invest anywhere in this city, and not just downtown.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 896
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a party store near the Fraser Roseville border with an 'American owned' sign. That is code for American of European decent owned.

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, also it is cheap to set up a business in detroit and a liquor store in detroit is almost a sure bet as long as you charge enuff to cover theft and security systems. too bad liquor sales only degrades the community more by adding to violence and apathy. It would be nice if the investment was in something more community benefitting.... Im just sayin......

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 259
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you know that in Harlem, even pre -Clinton, a dollar exchanged hands up to 80 times before leaving the community? In Detroit, that same dollar exchanges hands 4 times before leaving.

N7hn

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well at that its already stayed longer than some residents..............

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 184
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what???

N7hn

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

me?
"Did you know that in Harlem, even pre -Clinton, a dollar exchanged hands up to 80 times before leaving the community? In Detroit, that same dollar exchanges hands 4 times before leaving"
I was clowning that the 4 times it took to leave outlasted some residents.....sorry, shoulda been more clear, and funnier. I apologize

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 210
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umbound, I love my Chaldean friends!

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"black owned" sounds to me like "we don't need or want white people around." that's a tough business proposition in a community which is predominantly black, and is obviously not self-sufficient. it's a business that risks deterring a diverse customer base, while pandering to a clientele that has a high rate of illiteracy and unemployment.

Fmstack
Username: Fmstack

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtragedy: That's an awesome statistic. Where did you see it?

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 210
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

N7hn, we dont degrade the community, were doing a service to the community because nobody else will go into the nieghborhoods and serve it. whilst we risk our lives going down there everyday, were still getting racial remarks said to us all the time like, "go back to your country".
and Alley nice post Blksoul is full of sh!t.