Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Black owned » Archive through August 15, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1957
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"On the other hand, it's similar to the whole "Buy American" thing that tries to guilt people into buying cars that they'd have no problem buying in the first place if the quality was there..."

Hate to go off on a tangent, but the FUD really has to stop.

Ford is tied in quality with Toyota and Honda and has faster rising quality improvement year over year. So, the quality is already there.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umbound. I didnt say you are a bad person or mean harm, nor did i mean U personally degrade the community like making them feel bad or standing on their face. I meant as a general rule drunk people arent very productive or purposeful and that helps run neghboorhoods down. I know you arent forcing anyone to drink. Why not open a daycare, coffee shop or alcohol free carry out? something else the community needs that is less apt to lead to unemployment, domestic abuse and violence. why it gotta be a liquor store. Maybe w a business that dealt less w drunks your life wouldnt be so endangered.........
but i do understand why a liquor store, low set up costs and a captive , easy to sell to customer base. Easy as selling drugs to a junkie......as thats really what it is. Im just saying easy liquor isnt such a selfless, valuable service. Some people could benefit by alcohol being a lil less easy to get.

(Message edited by n7hn on August 13, 2008)

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 299
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Thecarl' stated...
quote:

"black owned" sounds to me like "we don't need or want white people around." that's a tough business proposition in a community which is predominantly black, and is obviously not self-sufficient. it's a business that risks deterring a diverse customer base, while pandering to a clientele that has a high rate of illiteracy and unemployment.

When one speaks of the 'Black business experience' within the history of this 'kkkountry'__racial monopolies, ie;monopolies established in the constitution, population monopolies, wealth monopolies, media monopolies, political monopolies, judicial monopolies, etc. pre-determine success and failure of Black businesses and are essentially a fundamental part of amerikkkas' politico-ecomomic system.

Through these racial monopolies the dominant society (and 'their' european counterparts), unfortunately, maintains a lock on the essential elements of the Black experience. So then, the Black experience is relegated to spectatorship within the amerikkkan' democratic process.

To be sure, 'Thecarl's' observation is off-base (but yet interesting)__ all one has to do is look at the excessive amount of money the Black community spends outside the villages.

However, CHANGE IS COMING!

blksoul_atcha!
Founding member of the BJL
Obama 08'

Ljbad89
Username: Ljbad89

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Blksoul_x. Why so serious?

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all one has to do is look at the excessive amount of money spent at HOT WHEEL CITY on 8mi and schoenner

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 300
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'whittier70' sarcastically stated...

quote:

...all one has to do is look at the excessive amount of money spent at HOT WHEEL CITY on 8mi and schoenner....

There is no doubt the Black community is suffering from a manifestation of Black on Black 'inappropriate behavior'...which is predicated upon internal impediments lefted-over by the extravagant appetite of supremacy by external dispiser'ers (all-be-it not totally intentional.)

These 'inappropriate behaviors' range from the lowest form of 'sambol-ism', (selling out the people to get ahead), (see Mildred Gaddis, Hue Perkins etc), 'distorted visionist', all the way to the more sophisticated form of the 'integrationist' or the 'avoider' of Blackness...

...and perhaps, the most detrimental part of the entire process of Black on Black 'inappropriate behavior' is these individual(s) teach 'Basic white people' and their counter-parts how to treat Black people.

If the Black community want to change how we are treated in this society, we must change the what we are teaching the dispiser'ers!__go figure!

blksoul_atcha!
Founder of the BJL
Obama 08'

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't remember a time when I patronized a business based on the race of the owner (or not patronized a business based on that, either.) Many times, my contact is with a worker and I have no idea who owns the business anyway. I like to look for reasonable prices, good services or merchandise, clerks without attitude, etc. I just think that honesty and courtesy cross the "color lines." Personally, I think the sign could be a business tactic aimed at a customer who would patronize a black business owner, but not a white one.

So I was thinking about a "white-owned" sign. If a business in a black neighborhood put up this sign, do you think the owner would get hassled? Would they get less business than with a "black-owned" sign?" If a business in a white neighborhood put up the sign, what does that mean? Some code for Supremacists meeting in the back room, or what? Also, what would a "black-owned" sign mean in a white neighborhood? If I were younger, like back in my student days, I think it might make an interesting social experiment or some kind.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 260
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 4:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before Malcom X, a Jamaican, Marcus Garvey (thought by many to be a prophet) came to the US. Seeing and mostly experiencing the injustices of racism in the 1910s, such as not being served at restaurants, shoe stores, the cleaners, not given room at hotels, pretty much everwhere separate but unequal was the norm, he decided to form what called the Negro Improvement Association.

With several Harlem business leaders the NIA was the earliest form of "black enterprises for black folk." Hell, no one else would serve them. Black grocers, black tailors, black hotels, didn't necessarily pop up, as many were already there, but the message was loud and clear, and that was basically to spend your hard earned dollars in the local community with other black owned businesses. The NIA went so far as to have its own cruise-ship, the Black-Star Line, which made round trips from New York to Africa.

In the 30s, Malcom X and the rise of the Nation of Islam helped to spread the concept of Black Self Sufficiency. This pride reached Detroit. City-Cab, across from Tiger Stadium (the nicest cabs in town, by the way, the black cars with the red and gold writing), was, and is still, "Detroit's Oldest Black Owned and Operated Taxi." and is a shining example. The practice, a shell of its former self in Detroit, continues.

Unfortunately, as the freeways came thru, and Jim Crow laws began to "fall," the necessity of spending money in ones own community hit the freeways as well. In cities like Harlem, where transportation is not the car, you can get pretty much most of your services without having to hop on the train, which keeps money in the community.

I drove by "Detroit's Only Black Owned Coney Island" just today. It's on Seven Mile near Dequindre. I wound up eating at Marcus Burger, instead, on E. McNichols and Mt. Elliot. I do not know if it's black owned.

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 211
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah N7hn my family decided to buy a gas station (the only non arab owned ones on the Southfield freeway) and we don't sell alcohol and its still just as dangerous also. I know your not saying i am a bad person or Chaldean's, but its still to dangerous.

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul,

What about the black people in Detroit who are uneducated by choice, unwilling to work, who steal, sell drugs, bear-then neglect children?

Welfare pays for the food, medical care and housing for a lot of these people. Something seems wrong with their lifestyle choices. How do you get them to turn around and be productive?

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've seen stuff like that also,plus I at one time went to a black college. the reason black owned is important is because other people don't put money into the black neighborhoods, blacks shop at arab and white stores, but those people take the money they get from us back to their own cities and areas and spend it there.also some stores have had a problem in treating blacks bad, which angers blacks because they make all their money off of the black community,because 98% of the people shopping in local stores are black,if they treat blacks bad and we stop shopping then they lose most of their profits.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 8549
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x - Your man Obama doesn't give a shit about you or your cause any more than Clinton or anyone else. He will ask for your vote and you will never seem him in Detroit again. Maybe if some prominent black leader has a funeral there he would do a photo-op but he will bail as soon as his speech is done just like Clinton, Granholm and all of the other losers did at Rosa Park's funeral.

His man on the ground here, Kwame, has just been dis-invited to the convention in Denver. It has gone from "get on the bus," to being thrown under Obama's bus.

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on August 14, 2008)

Ladia

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dianeinaustin, what you mentioned about blacks who have welfare pay for food and medical care, is not a problem just in the black community,all groups of people have that issue.there are more people on welfare than anyone else,there are also alot of white people out of work,everyone,including people who work don't have healthcare,or if they do they have inadequate healthcare,in which they can't afford all their medical bills,and a person doesn't have to be black to neglect a child, alot of white people and others have neglected children also.i once had a neighbor who was taking care of his biracial son, with the help of his black family because the white mother and relatives neglected him,and abandoned him.i know alot of black people with biracial foster kids who were neglected abandoned by their white familes.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 680
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There is no doubt the Black community is suffering from a manifestation of Black on Black 'inappropriate behavior'...which is predicated upon internal impediments lefted-over by the extravagant appetite of supremacy

Why do you try so hard to sound intelligent and then use the phrase LEFTED-OVER???

Talk about an anachronism. Blksoul_x, you are so funny.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1798
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If the Black community want to change how we are treated in this society, we must change the what we are teaching the dispiser'ers!__go figure!

You can also stop with the "basic white people" bull shit and kill the victim mentality as well, because that sure ain't helping any.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 963
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the reason black owned is important is because other people don't put money into the black neighborhoods, blacks shop at arab and white stores, but those people take the money they get from us back to their own cities and areas and spend it there

I think that you've just reminded us that the City is uninhabitable for many. The lore of my old neighborhood held that merchants lived among us but then split when safety & quality of life grew questionable. It surprised me to learn that shop owners had lived "there," but as they had the means to leave they were among the first to go.

I wonder: how long would succesful black entrepreneurs (mainstream - not the lone whackjob) live and spend in the 'hoods hosting their shops? My guess is that people are people, and the guy/gal who works hard and finally has something will eventually hit a point (as did those former neighbors) where they decide a nice place in the 'burbs is where they want to spend their evenings. The exodus of middleclass blacks to Southfield and beyond tells me that presumptions of racial solidarity fall short.

quote:

Why not open a daycare, coffee shop or alcohol free carry out? something else the community needs that is less apt to lead to unemployment, domestic abuse and violence. why it gotta be a liquor store.

Yes, open up next to one of the many thriving slide-rule outlets (ha). The market dictates what will be on the corners. Black_soul's paranoia notwithstanding, there is no plot to keep "quality", "fresh", "wholesome", etc. out of the 'hood. My old shitty little neighborhood had two fruit/vegetable stands, but they eventually just faded away; I cannot say that I ever saw patrons lined up out the door at those, or wild protests when they shut down.

Is Dick Gregory still around shilling that Bahamian juice?

Ladia

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

other people make alot of money off the black community, we put clothes on their back and food on their tables.when they make money they take it to where they live to spend it,so they can at least have respect for the community of people where they make their living.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 450
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naw Craig there is a plot to keep quality out of the hood. African Americans shop everywhere outside of Detroit so Big box stores don't feel they need to put any type of quality shopping inside of the City. Not until recently. After the quality shops open up and are successful then it is said that quality can only survive in certain parts of the City, i.e. Downtown.

There are many available places to shop for quality in the City, but the problem is that for so long the plot has been that anything in Detroit is not of high quality so don't shop there. It is sad that people won't even support Paradise Valley because they think it will be African Town. So it goes to show the perseption people have. It is pure ignorance. The reason Detroit looks the way it looks is because of abandonment.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 966
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladia - if you're saying that merchants shouldn't be pricks then we agree. But repatriation of profit is another matter. In a perfect world the profit stays local, but what do you say to the shopkeep who works hard and does not want to settle for what the 'hood offers? Force the shopkeep to live in the slum? There's such a lack of respect for the privacy of others and for property that this City cannot accomodate many. To that end I say that UMB's family should be free to take the sweat of their brow where they like.

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 186
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

clothing stores and beauty supply shops in detroit , asian owned. why not black owned?
liquer stores and pizzerias arabic owned, why not black owned? gas stations... well you know.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3424
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the history of America, the preponderance of the Black existance has lived under rules that have disenfranchised African American human rights of dignity.

From 1619 to 1965 the full rights of African decendants have been marginalized with in the social construct and within the law.

The microcosom of Black America that sought to embrace the capitalist expression either had to operate within the Black Community or be appropriated by a white business that didnt want the competition.

While many may not know this, there are well documented efforts where Black business owners were ruined due to white Americans actively seeking to disenfranchise their enterprises.

The Tulsa race riot of 1921 saw the burning of the Black Wall Street, an area of prosperous Black Business owners, over the unproven allegation of a black boy touching a white girl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T ulsa_Race_Riot

In Durham, in Detroit, in Milwalkee, Atlanta, Little Rock, and other places...public policy and "urban planning" dismantled black business districts.

This regular and deliberate disenfranchisement was an undercurrent in the various rebellions that occurred in the late sixities.

Lynch us, destroy our business, treat us as inferiors, and kill our leaders? It was too much to bear.

Moving forward to the modern era, the normal progressions of an integated group would be the formation of enclaves with their own economies.
But intergration transmuted the normal pathways; allowing and encouraging economic integration. So the former white owner, who under Jim Crow, didnt serve coloreds, now finds a new customer base. With more capital and better financing, white business successfully took busness from black merchants.

Many black cultural conservatives, those who belived that tthe black community should support itself, began "Buy Black" campaigns to encourage support for black merchants.

For those who suppose that the Buy Black is anti-white, you are sorely misguided and not rooted in the proper histories of various communities of color.

Little_mike
Username: Little_mike

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zulu_warrior, dude, I thank you for your quick history on the "Black Owned/Buy Black" lineage. But in all seriousness, I'm sorry. "Buy Black and "Black Owned" is anti-white, and I am not supporting it. My money goes elsewhere.

Furthermore, when I see "American Owned" in motel windows when I am traveling on the road, to me it means, "Don't support Indian owned". That turns me off just as well. Once again, my money goes elsewhere.

Likewise, if I went up to open a door of a restaurant and saw a sign that said, "White Owned" on it, I'd head down the street. Once again, the money goes elsewhere.

Remember, it's my money, and I'll do what I want with it. If you pull the race card, or the religious card, or the ethnic card, or even the American card, I'll take my money elsewhere and we just won't play. I'm the consumer, and I make the rules for supporting businesses. Sorry, but I only play on a level playing field. If someone wants to try and skew that field.... game over. After a few "Game Overs", it's "Business Over", and I'll still have my money.

Duke_sims
Username: Duke_sims

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if I should put "Libra-owned" on the front of my lemonade stand? After all, I was born in late September.

This whole debate cracks me up. People like this "X" idiot purport to want racial equality, but all they really want to do is bitch and whine. Makes 'em feel good to hate on whitey, I suppose.

Others who aren't as overt as "Moron_X" still choose to look at everything through race. They pretend to hold up MLK as a hero, but they forget the most important message he ever uttered: We should strive to judge people by who they are, not their skin color.

These morons don't even try. They want to make EVERYTHING about skin color. They make people who aren't racists think about becoming racists.

Listen, brother, I don't WANT to look at you as a "Black Man" - I want to see you as simply a FELLOW man who happens to have dark skin.

But if you constantly throw your "Blackness" in my face, how am I supposed to forget about your damned skin color and deal with you on the levels that are truly important?

When I interact with you, I care about how you conduct yourself; how polite you are; what level of intelligence you bring to the conversation; your morality.

I give a rat's ass about your fucking hue.

So please, please PLEASE stop harping on it.

And don't give me the old argument, "Well, you're white so you have the choice not to look at life through a racial prism."

No I don't. People like you constantly are trying to make me feel as though I've done something wrong because I happened to be lucky enough to be born white.

But just because I was lucky enough to have been born with beautiful white skin, it doesn't mean I automatically have a free pass in life. My gas bill is just as high as yours, pal. And the bank man will foreclose on my house and throw my white ass out on the street just as quickly as he'll throw your black ass out.

Can ya dig it? I knew thatcha could.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little_mike and Duke_sims,

Welcome to the board. How can anyone deny the importance of these two posts. They are simple, eloquent and, well, thank you for chiming in.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 276
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is a great read, thank you all for keeping this readable and not sinking into hate....

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 202
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Duke_Sims
So Detroit being 82% black with less than 100,000 white residents has nothing to do with white people?

Black businesses - there are so few of them and we black folks know it. If a business advertises that it's black-owned, we would be more likely to patronize it, because we know they are so rare, and we would be happy to help a black-owned business prosper, CONSIDERING THE HISTORY OF BLACK FOLKS IN THIS COUNTRY WHEN OPPORTUNITY WAS VERY LIMITED FOR US AND WE DIDN'T OWN ANYTHING (and still don't).

Now if the business sucks, then we are not going to come back, and it will eventually go under.

Little_mike
Username: Little_mike

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathi, thank you for your kind words. It just really tweaks me when I seem to get blamed for past suppression that I had nothing to do with. It spins me more to see the idiotic bigotry that still continues.

Hope all is well in the Ozarks.

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 806
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you do not like Black-owned stores, don't spend your money at them.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2759
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the black community is to improve in Detroit, then blacks, especially, have to shop at black-owned stores for that to happen. There is only one black-owned grocery store in Detroit and one black-owned gas station. They don't advertise their ownership. However, I do feel compelled to shop at them as much as I can because I am a black person. To not have a single grocery store or gas station in Detroit that is owned by a member of the majority race in the city is appalling, just like it would be appalling if all cars were made by foreign car makers. If I had my way I would clearly like to see more blacked-owned grocery stores and gas stations.

As a black person, I'm not offended by a store advertising that it is black-owned. Given the lack of basic stores that are black-owned in the city it is sometimes necessary to remind people of its ownership. If you're not black, I can understand why it is hard for you to understand this. However, if I was white, I wouldn't take the "black-owned" acknowledgement/sign to mean "whites stay out."

This weekend is the African World Festival at Hart Plaza. Should folks who are not African be offended and not attend the festival because its theme is about Africa? No, that wouldn't make sense. The same should hold true for businesses that market themselves as "black-owned."

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 4:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How black do you have to be to be considered black? Im considered whitest of white but happen to know I have black ancestors.

Blksoul, I need your help.