Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Anyone near southfield and joy? (brace street) » Archive through August 14, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im in cali and a house I used to live in is on the market as a foreclosure. I was wondering if anyone here lives near it, Im curious about its condition. Its been vacant for about a year now and it breaks my heart to think of it stripped. Anyone in that area willing to take a peek at it? Its a cool old house w a great history and Ive always had a connection to that house and have no family still there to ask. Id love to come back and save it....... Let me know if anyone is in the hood and willing. Thanks all. I love this site to monitor detroit from afar. I still love detroit and regret leaving.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 270
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a horrific area, but the Fire Station looks good still (that is on Joy, yes? and not Warren?). The 'hood is over-run by crackheads, homeless people on the freeway exits, and prostitutes stumbling around. But still... there are nice homes, and still some semblance of what you might remember as a nice neighborhood. Metro Music still stands, and there is a lot of gang activity about that area, what with the Joy Boys and what not. It's actually still quite nice, just do not walk alone, especially after sundown. This house you mention, yep, there are too many in foreclosure or in some other dilapidated state to even make it stand out. These are high-maintenance dwellings that require new roofs from time to time, new gutters, new winders, maybe a new garage every so many years... but THAT is exactly what has not been going on. And the place crumbles like the ancient pyramids. It's beautiful, really.

{edit: Oh, ha ha, sorry, you asked a question and were not answered. Heh, sure, give an address and I'll even get some snapshots of it and post 'em. TAint no thang.}

(Message edited by ggores on August 13, 2008)

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

N7hn, what's the address on brace?

N7hn

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

8687 brace....... big old brick ....note to Ggores....nice to see the area has stayed stable = ) I left (unwillingly) in 1994

Ggores

Post Number: 273
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nah nah nah nah nah nah... I'm on the case. "-)

Whittier70

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you checked google maps havn't you, i didn't see a brick house near that address on brace.

N7hn

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i know it sold in 2006 for 150,000, the owners before that bought it for 60,000 put on a new roof, new garage doors, forced air heat instead of the old radient heat, Im sure they did more but I know that suff has been done for sure. Ive always kept my eye on that home..... Ive seen it on google street view and although sad It still looks pretty good as of whenever that photo was. Although you have to look up and down the street, its the only brick for blocks that side of joy...google seems to think its 8742. u have to go north and then look west , first house off joy, brick tudor...... sniffle snort....

(Message edited by n7hn on August 13, 2008)

Ggores

Post Number: 274
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Screw Google! I gonna check it out anyways, find the real dirt on this case of the disappeared home. Mac 10 in tow as well. Gimme 2 days. Heh heh.

N7hn

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats fantastic....At your leisure of course, no hurry. Thats really nice. Thank you. Take some clumps of baking soda In case of confrontation tossing them about always keeps the crackies buzy and confused.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 962
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very fond memories of Brace, but closer to Warren.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6096
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Google Earth pointed to this house:

8687 Brace

It's about 5 mouseclicks north of the location given by Google Maps on the west side of Brace.

(Message edited by Jimaz on August 13, 2008)

N7hn

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yup, thats the place jimaz. I saw that pic too but not sure if that reflects its state lately. My present house on google is shown at least a year back.... and we all know what a year can do, thank you for lookin and posting that pic. I didnt know how to snapshot it from google. I love that house......

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

150,000.00 for that house in 2006 ? I think there was some funny stuff going on with that particular sale .Some bank or mortgage company must of taken it on the chin big time.

Whittier70

Post Number: 183
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was also questioning 150,000 for that house on that street

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6098
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's pretty big. Here's what it looks like from above:

8687 Brace

N7hn

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it is alot larger than it looks and (was) really really cool inside. also has the lot and a half on brace and the lot and a half from the street behind it. I do admit I was shocked by the price too, but it is documented..... http://www.zillow.com/HomeDetails.htm?zprop=62490400

(Message edited by n7hn on August 13, 2008)

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 251
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That neighborhood doesn't seem too bad, but hey I'm a white kid so that could be dangerous for me if your correct, Gjores. My view of residential Detroit has changed by Google streetview because I get to see the neighborhoods and alot of them I've seen are not what my mind pictured. Many of them kept up and nice looking, but of course I have seen the worse by streetview too!

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 305
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a very tough area.

Considering the median price of a Detroit home is currently around $17,000, and considering that this is definitely a below-average hood, I would say that $150,000 sounds like an insane price, no matter the size of the house.

Maybe it's built on top of oil reserves??

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 254
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So a "tough" area is...what?

Hypothetical example: I, a white, move in with my fictional wife and fictional two kids (so we are a white family, if that matters) into this neighborhood. How is this neighborhood tough 'n rough?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7634
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually that ghettohood is still well kept up despite the crack heads and ignorant black kids yelling like zoo animals. Even the Arab Muslims and Hispanics like the ghettohood so much that buying up some homes there.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 542
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Such a cute house, I'd want to stay too. I think brick beats everything. I can't wait to see the recent pictures of it

(Message edited by alley on August 14, 2008)

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 173
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd venture to say somebody put way over 100,000.00 in their pocket and walked away smiling after that sale.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

im in and out of that hood everyday for work, yeah its got some rough spots, and south of joy is definitely better as you enter warrendale. But that hood isnt THAT bad. I can think of 5 other hoods on the west side that are 5 time worse than that.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3506
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The pre-WW II homes in Detroit all had a beauty of their own, and were constructed to last. Over the years, additions to electrical service (properly done) were a desirable feature, but other than that, they are solid.

The post-WW II cracker boxes, usually with asbestos siding, alas, were junk. I know, I had one. But that was a supply and demand thing back then as the GI's returned and needed housing badly.

Nuclearxwinter
Username: Nuclearxwinter

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not all that bad. I don't know much about that particular block but some of the areas between Warren and Joy are alright. I have a friend that lives over that way about 6 blocks from your house on Brace. I might get them to drive me by it and check it out if I am down that way this weekend.

Exit_9
Username: Exit_9

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live 2 blocks over on Artesian. Yeah the area isn't the best but Im also part of the "younger" generation and have relationships with most of the dudes some people would try to steer clear of as I've seen alot of them grow up.

I wouldn't walk the hood at night by myself if I didnt know anyone or was a newcomer but thats just like I wouldnt walk over on Mack or East Van Dyke at night because I'm not from over there...

Detroitfats
Username: Detroitfats

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a few blocks south, closer to Warren Ave. The neighborhood is not terrible, but it has really gone south in the last 10 years. Prostitution, always present, has become much more flagrant. Car to car drug deals are common, even south of Warren. In the last year, gunshots have become commonplace. On my block, a common greeting is, "Did you hear that shooting last night?" Very depressing.

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, this topic is closer to my old neighborhood than anything I've ever seen here. I grew up two miles east on Joy from Brace.

8588 Terry (8602 on Google Maps). Does anyone know when these homes were built? What is the neighborhood like now? How would a stranger do walking down Joy Road at noon between Greenfield & Schaefer?

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 207
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine lives near Southfield and Warren . . . I don't think that area is bad at all compared to some areas. I always see kids playing on his street, and there are also a few cops who live on his street. He seems to know all his neighbors too. I've met a few of them, they aren't the gang banger type. I've walked to and from his house and a bar on Warren at 2am a few times and never had a problem. I wasn't walking alone though and maybe I was always too tipsy to be scared.

N7hn

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when I moved there i got alot of flack for it, although mose people understood when they saw the house I got for my dollar, but they still wouldnt live there. I went over several times before I bought it and walked the streets with my target on and no one took me up on it so I figured It would be ok to live there. I was there for about 5 years and walked the area alot, never had a bit of trouble. I always related that to everyone knowing the white boy was respectful to all and many people would stop and praise me for keeping the yard up as it had been neglected before i got there. Im not saying there werent issues, but none directed my way. Yes there was gunfire, and a body or two....... but hey..... I wouldnt have been able to afford the place had it been in royal oak. I counted by blessings.....