Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » The Start of an Urban Garden and Neighbourhood Gathering Place » Archive through August 11, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 768
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will try to make it after the World's-Totally-Most-Awesomest -Garage-Sale.

Can't wait to see the garden again!

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 733
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rel-where is the garage sale at?

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 781
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zimm-

I'm at work now so I will have to get you the info tonight when I get home(usually after 6:00pm). I will send you Jams info as well so we can hook you up!

As always, your welcome to come out to the workday at the Fort, too (Saturday, 9 to 5)!

Take care and try to make it out to the Garden if possible tomorrow night to check out what is sure to be the start of something new there, and to see all of Cub's hard work come to "fruition"(sorry, I just couldn't help it!):-)

Cookin64
Username: Cookin64

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub you are doing great things for the neighborhood! And i see that the older people around here appreciate that very much.Just repeating what I was told!
By the way!!
Hello;
Eriedearie...
Next door 2 Cub.....I made it!

Plymouthres

Post Number: 800
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cookin-

Welcome to the forum!! Glad you could make it!

Will I get the chance to meet you on Saturday? I would really appreciate the opportunity!

Cubs work reaches many people, all the way to Europe! We are graced to have a man of his character amongst us!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2453
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Cookin64! A BIG hearty WELCOME to the forum! Glad you decided to stop *lurkin*!

It was such a pleasure to meet you this past Wednesday. I enjoyed sharing stories about the long ago hood with you. BTW I've jotted off an email to my friend that used to live around the corner from you. I've asked him about that store you questioned me about. I'll let you know once he answers.

I'm looking forward to hearing your views on the wide array of subjects we come up with on here. :-)

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 655
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cook, Its about time. Who has been talking about me now? LOL! Welcome to the forum.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reading this thread again today, my optimism is renewed. The good-will of "regular" people is priceless. Kudos to everyone involved. Altruism in full bloom!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 475
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where ya been Vet?

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 93
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you in need of more seating? Probably not what you are looking for but I have a large wood futon that is still in the box, needs to be put together. Might be a hassle to store it when not in use but I thought I would throw the offer out there - it's a nice futon (have a cushion for it too) and I'd love for somebody to take it off my hands. :-)

Plymouthres

Post Number: 814
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tk-

I have read what you said in the Reading thread and here. Yes, you can come out and I believe that you have much more to give than you think. Come down to the Garden on a Saturday night and see for yourself what there is to do, and then become a fixture in the taking back of the city.

Thanks to you for your enthusiasm and I look forward to meeting you!

Cub

Post Number: 664
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tk, we will take it off your hands. I am in the process of getting or building a small shed or storage box. If that falls through I can always put it in the garage. Please come on down to the garden. The more the merrier (Sean and Kally). Yes its my turn to call you out. :-)

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still here Reddog289. Perusing DYes less, and more selectively, as of late.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 770
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn,

Sorry I didn't see your post in time. I had an awesome garage sale and sold 95% of everything. Made enough money to post bond if I ever assault a Wayne County Sheriff's Deputy trying to serve me a subpoena!

Cub, reading/movie night was awesome!!

Pgn421

Post Number: 751
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub- hows the garden doing?i havent been by for awhile

Cub

Post Number: 680
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Pgn,
It's doing good. Got four more beds up and will be putting some fall crops in.

Reddog289

Post Number: 514
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, what are you planting for fall? i should drive over to the garden so it rains.

Cub

Post Number: 681
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Collards, Brussel Sprouts, Broccoli, Kale, and Cabbage.

Reddog289

Post Number: 518
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My collards are still getting hit by something, need to plant some more beans and some sprouts for the misses.

Cub

Post Number: 685
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Garden is featured in an article on a blog.
www.redwhiteandgrewblog.com

Don't forget reading and movie night in the garden Saturday August 9,2008 7:00pm

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2584
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice write-up! Linda, Cub and all helpers - you guys are doing great things!

Pgn421

Post Number: 764
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub- It was nice talking to you today,as usual. The garden is looking excellent!

Cub

Post Number: 690
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Pgn. Same here.
I just returned from volunteering at the 11th annual Detroit Agriculture Network Tour of Urban Gardens and Farms. There had to be 500 to 600 people in buses and on bikes. I saw plates from Ontario and Ohio.

(Message edited by cub on August 06, 2008)

Reddog289

Post Number: 519
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew there was something else besides starting another project that will get done whenever , that was to see the gardens.

Cub

Post Number: 691
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL!

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, I didn't want to clog up the other garden topic, so I posted it here (So the announcement wouldn't get pushed to a former page).

I won't be there this Saturday. I have a family reunion. However, if it's okay, I really would love to stop by with Kally and see the garden. That is, if and when your not busy. I also may have some children's books I'd like to donate. I also can't seem to find the school supply thread. What do you guys still need?

Cub

Post Number: 695
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem Sean.
We still need everything.
Come by anytime.
cub 5578 at yahoo

(Message edited by cub on August 09, 2008)

Cub

Post Number: 702
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A van stuck in the fruit orchard. Can anyone tell me what city service vehicle this is:

The driver said he was trying to make a U-turn in the lot and went into the hole. LOL! he was not intoxicated by the way and a very nice guy.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2695
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's gotta have something to do with Kwame - that's my best guess!

BTW - the tomato plants are lookin' good!

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1610
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, have you been able to pick any maters yet? Mine still seem so damn small. and VERY light green, almost white. I need a big truckload of manure. Can I get a load through Greening or any other place you know of. My soil has too much clay in it. Id like to start prepping it for next year. If I had some manure I might be able to salvage some of the plans I have going this year.