Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » :::Tiger Stadium: Memories, Demolition & Saving Part of It::: » Photos of the Tiger Stadium Demolition » Archive through July 22, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 235
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The week of July 13, 2008

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3397
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sigh.

Used to be 440 feet to dead center field. Guess it's a lot further, now.

Great photos as always, Don. Thank you for posting them.

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 237
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ray. Good to see all is well with you

KQA414

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2931
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Don. These photos provide a unique perspective!!

Dave and I went down to the stadium yesterday and walked the perimeter and took a few photos. I expect we'll be back periodically to document the progress.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2456
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Dead center," indeed...

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 639
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More like the "gap" in left-center.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 271
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that I think about it, the Bud sign would make a great garage door. Can someone save it for me?

Kcjacoby
Username: Kcjacoby

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey everyone... I just wanted to share some of the lucky timing I had this previous weekend. All I'm going to say is that the gates were open :-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kcjacoby/sets/72157606177858038/

I have some more pictures coming up... But I need do some editing.

Check out my other stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/k cjacoby/

(Message edited by kcjacoby on July 15, 2008)

(Message edited by kcjacoby on July 15, 2008)

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good stuff, Ken. Book's progressing nicely....

BTW, was the flag still flying on the pole?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2933
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When we were at the Stadium on Saturday afternoon around 4pm or so, the flag was being raised and waving in the breeze. A nice touch!!

Richard_bak

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The flag should have been flying all the time the stadium was closed, but of course that would have required a little effort on the part of somebody "guarding" or "maintaining" the stadium. Hard hats off to the contractors who are probably responsible for hoisting it one last time. It adds a poignant touch to a distressing scene.

Kcjacoby

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great to hear that Richard! And yes, even as Kathleen said.. the flag is waving tall. Sue had gotten some pictures from Sunday. Ted said you might be interested in some of these pictures... want me to send them your way?

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 211
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My understanding is that the flag will remain flying through the entire demolition. Beyond that, Im not sure.

Richard_bak

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ken...please send them. I'm looking forward to seeing everybody's pix. Paul shot some, as well as Sue and Allen Kirk?

Richard_bak

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I'm a little mixed up...I meant Kirk Allen, not Allen Kirk. Or was it Allan Machielse? Jeezus, dementia is slowly setting in......Soon I'll be calling both of them Allen Park.

Kcjacoby

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Myself, Paul and Kirk from the original group were there. Mike was someone that wasn't from the original group, but he was in there with us too. I'll tell them to send them your way.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1313
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BuildingsofDetroit.com has added a slew of historic photos, demolition photos and photos from inside the park last fall before they started destroying it.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3399
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Don. All is well. Wife and I are heading back for MI in August to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary, but we'll only be in Detroit a couple of days. Heading for the Grand Traverse Bay area for two weeks after that.

Going into Detroit just breaks my heart any more, so I cut it short.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2970
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heres some from yesterday.
http://www.detroitfunk.com/200 8/07/the_corner.html

I had the odd experience of going from the demo site to standing at home plate at Comerica just a few minutes later. Surreal.

I started the day shaking hands with L. Brooks Patterson, and then was at Tiger Stadium, then ended at Comerica, shaking hands with Bob Ficano.

Talk about ironic days.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How'd you get those shows through the fence? They seemed to have patched all the holes and tightened the seams with zip ties.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 467
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Took a look yesterday on my way to Slows. They sure are making quick work of her.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2974
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"How'd you get those shows through the fence?"

I didnt shoot through the fence

Flyby - you are the GOD of dphotography !

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is absolutely absurd that they have a security guard to yell at people for taking pictures through holes in the fence. Yesterday I watched as a 10 year old was harshly yelled at for touching the fence while peeking through a seam. When his father asked what the problem was, the security guard said "this fence is private property. If you touch it you are trespassing."

Mauser765

Post Number: 2978
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sux. Guards get bored and start to behave poorly.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1329
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just have someone go over and "touch the fence" and have a friend let the air out of the guard's tires when he goes over to confront.

I also got yelled at for crossing the sidewalk to take a photo at the corner of the Fisher and Trumbull. Apparently, there was an imaginary line there I was supposed to know about. They've since put up yellow tape.
I couldn't care less that this buffoon yelled at me, but I'm not a 10-year-old kid. That's inexcusable.

(Message edited by rhymeswithrawk on July 19, 2008)

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Took some pictures that I thought you guys might like. I can't figure out how to paste pix to the post, so here's my photobucket link:

http://photobucket.com/riptige rstadium

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 248
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Viva, awesome shots. Did you get on the other side of the fence?

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Viva - thanks for sharing. Means alot to see the sad 'progress' of the old beauty.

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chalu,
unfortunately, no I couldnt get on the other side of the fence. I tried bribing the guard and he wouldn't have it.

There was a hole in the green tarp they've hung all over the fence. there's a few holes in the tarp, which they covered with duct tape. I tore the tape away and stuck my lens in the hole! glad you guys liked them. I will be down again & posting more.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ho-lee schitt, guys, driving home from work tonight and noticed one of the light towers was missing. So I headed over there, and HALF THE LEFT FIELD UPPER DECK HAS BEEN COLLAPSED ONTO ITSELF. Not sure if it was intentional or if it collapsed after being structurally weakened. Incredibly jarring. Biggest jolt since demo started in earnest. Photos will be up on www.buildingsofdetroit.com.