Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » The Start of an Urban Garden and Neighbourhood Gathering Place » Archive through August 17, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 703
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as I know they don't. Went to a soil amending class Saturday, they said get a lot of grass clippings and leaves. till some in and lay the rest on top. Manure wouldn't hurt either. I will be busy this fall. If your going to have any bagged leaves I will be happy to pick them up for Django and myself.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2711
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django - I seem to remember someone telling me a couple of years ago that if you added some Epsom Salts around the tomato plants that would give it some extra boost. Maybe look around on the Internet gardening sites to confirm this. It wouldn't hurt to try it on a few of your plants just to see what happens.

The soil out here is full of clay too. We tried growing veggies in it years ago and it was not good. But check on the Epsom salts thingy. You could always get some Miracle Grow - that's what my dad uses. Good luck!

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What breaks up the clay is sawdust and manure. My grandfather's property was clay streaked. Dumped first a layer of sawdust, rototilled that in. Next came the manure. Wear boots for this step. Leave over winter, should be good after that.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2714
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't it matter what kind of wood the sawdust came from? I don't think you should use sawdust from treated wood, should you? Or would it matter if its in such small particles and then mixed with manure into the clay soil? Just a thought.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13737
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely a concern, you don't want to load up any more chemicals in his soil!

Great thoughts, both of y'all.

Cheers

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 845
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lime works to break down clay, and so does ash from a fire pit.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 453
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, sorry I missed you the other day when I came by with Kathleen. Your garden looks great, and am I really glad to see you making a difference.

Cub

Post Number: 706
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Cman!

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd think that the treated wood sawdust would NOT be a good idea.

Most sawdust one could get would not be of the treated variety. Of course I would ask. we got 5 trucks full of sawdust, and I spent a month roto-tilling that into the 3+ lots that my grandfather owned. Then the manure, which went much easier.

After all this, you can really tell the difference in cultivation, even growing just grass. My grandfathers' neighbor. Mr. Rose, fell in the mud/manure field that November. He didn't come up smelling like his name, that's for sure.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 208
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The GP Hunt Club gives away free horse manure mixed with straw.

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 355
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you back up behind City Hall on any given day you can probably pick up 10 tons of bullshit.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 779
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cub-do you want me to pick up some manure?im closer to the Hunt Club ,than you .it would sure get your plants going!

Cub

Post Number: 709
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Pgn. That would be Great! Thank You!

Cub

Post Number: 710
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From an e-mail sent out for DetroitSynergy:

Join me at Georgia Street Community Garden this Saturday!!Tuesday, August 12, 2008 6:56 PM

Good Afternoon DSG Shares Volunteers, Thank you for your involvement and commitment to past DSG Shares projects. Because of your commitment to responding to hunger and homelessness issues across the city of Detroit, in the past 6 months we have: Provided hundreds of snacks to hungry families across the city of Detroit: Gleaners Community Food Bank 3/15/08Assisted families in need of affordable appliances and home utilities: Habitat ReStore: 4/12/08Impacted the lives of homeless individuals in our region by providing lunches for those who are hungry: Cass Community Social Services: 5/31/08Provided healthy, nutritious options for those in our community through urban farming: Earthworks Garden: 6/14/08Improved the surrounding streets of a community organization through clean-up efforts: Salvation Army: 7/26/08

Now this month: Make an impact with a grass-roots community neighborhood garden! Join DSG Shares at the Georgia Street Community Garden this Saturday, August 16 from 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. The Georgia Street Community Garden was founded on April 8, 2008 as an opportunity to provide residents with a garden and a neighborhood gathering place. The community garden also serves as a community center where residents can bring their children for a book reading every Saturday night. Volunteers will be assisting with a lot clean-up for the formation of an orchard across the street from the existing garden. The Georgia Street Community Garden is located at 9344 Georgia Street between Gratiot and Van Dyke near the Better Made Potato Chip Factory. For more information or to volunteer, contact me at dsgshares@detroitsynergy.org. I hope to see you all this weekend!

Sincerely, ReginaDSG Shares Project Lead

(Message edited by cub on August 12, 2008)

Cub

Post Number: 723
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Synergy Workday Pics:
www.georgiastreetgarden.blogsp ot.com

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive never heard of using sawdust. Theres a wood mill on St Aubin one block north of Mack that I believe deals in mainly untreated wood. Ill try and stop by and ask a few questions about getting free sawdust from them.

My garden looks like hell this year as I haven't had the resources knowledge or cash to put into it. If I get the sawdust and manure tilled in this year maybe next years garden will be a bit more giving.

My sunflowers and cucs are doing well. My corn seems to have stopped growing though. Tomatoes are not ripening, just kind of hanging there.

Pgn421

Post Number: 791
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django- Im going to get a horse manure/sawdust mix this week for Cub. Do you want me to drop off a load for you?

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be awesome Pgn. Can I give you a hand? I dont have much in the way of gardening tools but I do have a couple of shovels and a two wheeled cart similar to a wheel barrow. I might be able to con Gannon into helping also.

My phone just broke so I cant be called for a few more days. Youve got me e mail and I check it at least a few times a day.

Let me know.

Oh yeah, do they have a lot of manure mix? If I told someone else about this would they be able to pick some up as well? Ive got some friends on Farnsworth who might like some as theyve got a nice garden going.

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 113
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I transformed enemic soil to dark and rich soil by burying fish heads about 6 inches deep ( or more). The kitties really liked that garden that summer :-) I also composted and that created finger-width earthworms/nightcrawlers within a short period of time. I just thought I'd interject here because I recall getting those fish heads from a fish shop on Woodward in Detroit for no cost. In fact, they were happy to get rid of them.

(Message edited by Lnfant on August 16, 2008)

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2768
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good interject Lnfant! I forgot all about fish heads and such. My mother-in-law mentioned burying fish heads or fish you catch but don't want to eat, into the hole you dig before you plant a rose bush. So one year when we bought a bunch of rose bushes that is what we did. When those roses bloomed, their petals were so strikingly colorful and silky looking everyone thought they were artificial. Yeah, might sound fishy - but it works!

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 158
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, could you use a Weber grill?

Pgn421

Post Number: 792
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we can get as much as you want,

Cub

Post Number: 724
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mschievous,
Yes we could.

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 166
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll bring it over Monday or Tuesday. If your not there where shall I leave it?

Cub

Post Number: 725
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Behind o of the piles of soil. Thank you!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 530
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you want a gas grill too? i can get one minus the tank.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 216
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We loved seeing your garden. We enjoyed the reading portion. I am a hugh Harry Potter fan. Sorry we had to miss the movie. My Mom is 88yrs old. We were gone all day. We were at the Eastern Market, then to visit our friend on Field. He took us to his friend on VanDyke who has rehabed a house on VanDyke. It was fantastic. Then on to Georgia Gardens. We left because we worried about leaving Mom so long. It turns out that we could have stayed since my sister took mom out for dinner and was visiting when we got home. This is rare.

Cub, would you consider attending an EEV garden party? I think it would be fantastic for you to make an informal presentation about your garden. The garden group has been mostly social in nature but we want to start doing mini informative lectures at our meetings. I imagine you could bennefit your garden efforts with an outreach program. EEV has no open spaces for community gardening so I would hope some of our members would be inspired to help in a variety of ways. The next meeting is at our house on Sunday, August 8th from 3 to 6. If you can come feel free to bring some friends/supporters of the Georgia street gardens. Let me know if you are available. If you can come, I will also try to get our minister to attend. Our church is low on membership but has deep pockets due to endowments. The books we gave came from the church Sunday School program which sadly is no more. As mentioned, our pastor loved the concept of what you are doing. We can take any kids books donated to the thrift shop and bring them to you. Let me know if you are available and I will put it on the EEV website.

Cub

Post Number: 726
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I would love to attend Sumas. Thank you so much for the books and coming out. I am putting it on my schedule right now. Thats September 8 right?

Reddog, Yes, we can take that also. I have some garden recipes that I cant cook on a charcoal grill so that will be perfect. Thank you!

Pgn421

Post Number: 793
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub- Thanks again. It was a good nite last nite. and the garden is looking great. Lilly and i had a good time. And, it was good to see everyone.

Cub

Post Number: 728
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was good to see you and the wife as always. Thanks for coming out.