Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Will all the real Northeast siders please stand up! « Previous Next »
Archive through August 26, 2008Alfie1a30 08-26-08  5:56 pm
Archive through August 28, 2008Pgn42130 08-28-08  8:25 pm
Archive through September 09, 2008Dday30 09-09-08  7:28 am
Archive through October 18, 2008Tarkus30 10-18-08  5:06 pm
Archive through October 22, 2008Gnome30 10-22-08  7:36 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 947
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The COW HEAD! I'm gonna kidnap my sisters and drive down there one day. It used to be black and white didn't it? Drove down there this summer and only went up to Manistique. My house has been gone about 2 years and there's only about 6 house left on the block.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2023
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs. Gnome again ... Isn't it amazing how much the COW HEAD means to everyone from the area? It sure has a special place in MY heart! I don't remember it being black and white ... but maybe we could only see the nostrils and horns from the sidewalk!

Gnome

Post Number: 2024
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Story by Mrs. Gnome: The day I became an orphan, a thief, and a liar; got one of biggest whoppins of my young life, and a budding friendship was terminated.

Linda Black and I were hanging out one fine summer day when Linda said "C'mon lets go to the carnival!" Linda convinced me that was it perfectly acceptable to walk to the carnival almost 3 miles away (not that far, Linda said), and do so without telling my mother (she won't mind, Linda said). So, off we went - two 5-year-olds to the carnival. We crossed over I-94, over the tracks and across Gratiot (Linda said it was OK if we crossed the street in the middle of traffic nowhere near a crosswalk). After making it to the carnival grounds in one piece, the next obstacle was that we didn't have any money, and therefore, couldn't enjoy any of the rides or food. Well, that was no problem at all. Linda simply explained to anyone who would listen that our parents had been killed in a car accident, we were orphans and we'd really really like to get some money to go on a ride and get some food. Pretty soon she had me nodding my head in fervent agreement. The story met with only dismal success. Only one person decided to give us a pass on the obvious lie and we were treated to a merry-go-round ride. With that success in our pockets we continued the con. Well, that was great until Linda, against my better judgement and despite my protestations, babbled the story to Mrs. Marcy from down the street. Oops. Linda lived on another block and didn't know Mrs. Marcy. I sure felt like an idiot. I stammered and stuttered and was admonished by Mrs. Marcy, "You should be ashamed of yourself, blah blah blah." After that luck had been played out, and we couldn't get any more money or rides off of people, Linda said that we could go in the grocery store and get candy. We walked up to a eye-high bin full of butterscotch candy, reached our little hands into the candy and stuffed handfuls into our pants pockets! Well, this was just getting more exciting by the moment!

We sauntered back into the carnival and were standing near the street when suddenly Linda gasped and a car door flew open; Linda's father!!! GET IN THIS CAR RIGHT NOW!!! And, uh-oh ... my mother was in the car with him. Oh Boy!

Back at home, I was given a long and very stern lecture. The 10 commandments were read with emphasis on those that I had broken. My mother had received a visit from Mrs. Marcy and had heard all the sordid details of my adventure. The candy stuffed into my pockets was enough proof that I was not only a liar, but a thief! Ouch!

Years later my family would tell this story from time to time and eventually I was able to laugh about it. I did learn lessons ... I will not steal; I HATE carnivals, and I'll ALWAYS remember Linda Black!

(Message edited by gnome on October 22, 2008)

Maof2

Post Number: 950
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs. G. Yep, that's the same Linda. What a funny story. I knew who she was in the right away. But I'm thinkin', your a year older than me and I thought she was in my grade. Is she a year younger?

And I guessed I lied about Miss Geri. I pulled out my kindergarten "progress reports" (yes, I still have them) and it said Miss Alice Hanson. So she's the one with the one finger, two finger thing. (sorry Miss Geri).

I too once got in trouble for crossing Mack to go trick or treating (only a block). Yep, same type of kid. My mother always said that's why we moved because of "the neighbor". If fact, I should scan a picture of her and they really look quite the same.

Have to run for now. Be back later! Whooppee

Gnome

Post Number: 2025
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs. Gnome here ... You know, i really can't remember whether she was older or younger! She probably flunked at least once!

Maof2

Post Number: 951
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She may have. What about the Jozwiak's are they the same one's that I knew?

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs. Gnome, you mentioned a boy named Tony Marchiano. Did you mean Marchio maybe? I remember the Jozwiak's. I remember going over to the Dunn's house on Eastlawn after school with them and some others that I can't recall right now.

Maof2

Post Number: 953
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Servite - Are you in that SJB class picture in the HOF thread? My sister is right in the middle below the school.

Servite76

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 5:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maof2, that was my sister Debbie's class. I was in the class just below her and couldn't find my class picture at the time. She's on the top row. 2nd picture to the left of Sr. Mary Ambrose. She has a white head band on.

Maof2

Post Number: 957
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

servite - does debbie, by any chance, have a son in his 2nd or 3rd year at State?

Servite76

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maof2, she has a son 16 and a daughter 13 and lives in Clawson. Did you guess our last name? It's a long one starting with "R".

Maof2

Post Number: 958
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can't guess the last name but i'm gonna quiz my sister and have her check out that photo again.

Gnome

Post Number: 2026
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs G here: Servite, Yes, probably Tony Marchio. He was trouble ... do you know who the George guy was that he was hanging around with? Those two were always up to some mischief.

Servite and Maof2 re the Jozwiak's. Gail had brown hair that had a bit of a wave in it and a cute face. The younger one, you said Linda, I thought Sandy but I may be getting Linda and Sandy mixed up. Did Linda have short hair and a speech impediment with r's? I think she was the girl that joined me in an experiment to see if we could fly.

I think that Sandy was a cousin of the Dudals who moved into the house on Lenox across the alley from me. She was blonde and probably my age but I'm not sure. Her grandfather was painting the porch one day and the paint can tipped and paint spilled onto the sidewalk. Of course, it was not going to come off. He was angry for a little bit, but then decided to paint a V down the sidewalk that White V was there forever after that. The Grandpa had a convertible and would drive us places.

Maof2

Post Number: 960
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, both the Jozwaik girls had short brown hair and I always thought they were cute. Don't remember the speech impediment though.

Gnome

Post Number: 2030
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My memories are fuzzy about the Jozwiak's. I was sure that they moved to Utica before 1965. My family moved in 1965.

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs. G,
Mr London was my Gym teacher (not at Hosmer, tho') and was the first person I ever saw spin a basketball on one finger. His head always brushed the door frame when he came into a classroom. I once saw him throw a chest pass into a first grade girl that made her double over with the wind knocked out of her, gasping for air; made her cry in front of the whole class. The girl was me, and a parent "conference" followed.

Doodles
Username: Doodles

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up on Balfour, between Brunswick and Windsor. Or on a larger scale, between Mack and Warren.

Went to Clark Elementary from Kindie to 4th grade in 1976. Briefly went to Beulah Baptist Academy when the bussing started and then moved out of state. (I'm back in MI, now)

I remember the Carsons, the Rathsbergs, the Daniels and our next door neighbor, Ed Choppa. He had the coolest black mustang and his daughter gave me all her Barbies.

At Clark, I remember Mr. Parlato, Mrs. Boyce, Mrs. Signerello (sp?), and singing Candyman in the hallway.

Gabes Candy Store, Johnson's milk depot, the kaleidescope, the Alger, Cunninghams, Sybils, and spaghetti at Lombardo's.

I live in the suburbs now, but remember those days like yesterday. Life was a lot different then, riding our bikes everywhere, even up to the dime store and to lakeshore dr. All before I was 11 years old. My kids don't have that freedom now, even up here.

Anybody on here from my time in Detroit?

Doodles

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

born and raised on the northeastside on novara. from 78 to about 88. tons of fond memories of how neihborhood were. My grandma and her family built the home on novara original owners till 1988.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4527
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steel, Novara between what and what?

Steelworker

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

between Gratiot and Hayes. Right in the middle on the north side of the street. Ive even lived near Chester and Lodewyck near Harper. Nottingham near warren. That is what happens when you mom moves a lot and then marries a Detroit cop

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 923
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

steel- when did you live on Nottingham. i used to live there,we moved in 56

Steelworker

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im a youngin. I lived there from birth (78') till maybe 88. My grandma and her family were the original owner of their house on novara. My grandmas maiden name was Flood and she was raised by her grandparents I believe same last name.

Jcole

Post Number: 4545
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up over by 7 and Kelly, but moved in 74.
Dad was a Detroit cop too, but we stayed put until I was 17. Was that your mom's mom on Novara?

Steelworker

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom grew up on novara as well. She should have graduated from denby in 78'. My grandma grew up on that street also, her house was a two family so many people in my family lived in the upper unit of my grandmas. Its a great thing for a kid to live on a street where many parts of his family also live. I literally grew up with most of my cousins and uncle(three years old than me). We were best friends growing up.

7 and kelly was nicer than our area. Actually it still is. My great grandma on the other side of my family owned a house on Mccormick in Detroit which is one block south of the Harper Woods boundary. After she passed my uncle lived there till late 80's.

Jcole

Post Number: 4569
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McCormick was almost directly across Kelly from the end of my street.
Your neighborhood was somewhat older than our corner of the world. There were bigger, older houses up your way. We had mostly asbestos-shingle sided bungalows, with a few bricks thrown in here and there.

Wlrks
Username: Wlrks

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody from 6 & gratiot or 6 & hoover area out there

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2811
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

May I have your attention please?
Will the real Northeast siders please stand up please stand up, please stand up.
Cruising on Gratiot used to be so cool, no if you do you look like a fool, with double size rims and sub woofer blaring, people on the corner in cockeyed hats starring, so wont all the real Northeast siders please stand up please stand up, please stand up.

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 873
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turkeycall and Kville, Any idea of what happened to quarterback DeMeyer or valedictorian Loomis both LHE (66)?

Turkeycall, I don't remember the Sunoco - just Maple Lanes and Allemon's. I lived on Farmbrook a block past Chandler.

Turkeycall
Username: Turkeycall

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oladub,
I can't say concerning DeMeyer or Loomis of '66, but I think there was a Loomis [probably a brother] in my class of '68.

Forty years have passed! Memories of high school fade pretty easily for me. High school was just another obstacle to get around, over, or under. Seems I always had something better to do than homework or term papers. Even then, I felt my part-time jobs were more important than school - fool that I was!

Part-time jobs - that's what always interested me. My very first part-timer was when I was about 12. I was a "bottle boy" and floor mopper at Dan's Delicatessen on E. Warren between Lodewyck and Marseilles, same side of Warren as the Dairy Queen.

The best job I ever had was at the Sunoco station at Warren and Farmbrook. Bert Uthes was the proprietor. He started the business right after WWII, stayed in business until maybe 1975, not long after I came home from the Navy.

Sunoco owned the building and property. They sold it off to some landscaping outfit. They painted a crappy brown over the Sunoco blue and put a chain link fence around the perimeter.

The Sunoco was directly across from Allemon's, kitty-corner from Maple Lanes. Across Farmbrook was the K of C hall. Going from the Sunoco toward Lodewyck was the Markus Insurance Building and then the Pony Keg package liquor store, kitty-corner to Pete's Bar. Next to Allemon's was the Sunnybrook Market.

I grew up on Farmbrook between E. Warren and Chandler Park Dr., next door to Bulletmagnet.

I close my eyes and I can see it all!

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 924
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turkey_ Do you know Bernie Allemon? He is my neighbor.

Oladub

Post Number: 875
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turkeycall, Thanks for reminding me of the K of C Hall - always a busy place on Friday with its fish fry. I vaguely remember that grocery store too. You are referring to Larry L. I think that all three kids in that family were valedictorians at LHE. Their father was a medical researcher. I was interested in his sister, Mae's, fate.

Also living between Warren and Chandler were Gary Smyth and Gary Smith (both 65 Finney) who were both killed in Vietnam and Dennis Hartness (would have been 66) who was kicked out of LHE for something and, rumor has it, eventually wound up in a California Hell's Angel chapter. He had a bunny he kept in the garage on Farmbrook and took good care of. Once, on the radio, I heard that he had been shot in the rear on Belle Isle.

I was in the Saturday morning bowling league a few years and must have gone past your house and Bullet's thousands of times.

Turkeycall

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421,
Regarding the Allemon's: The only Allemons I knew were George and Paul, the brothers who literally built the Warren-Farmbrook garden center brick-by-brick on a vacant lot. Is Bernie a son of Paul or George, or maybe a nephew? In any event, I didn't know Bernie. Maybe he is much younger than my 58 years.

Turkeycall

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oladub,
The name, Dennis Hartness, sure sounds familiar. I just can't place him or where on Farmbrook he lived. Between Warren and Frankfort, Frankfort and Southampton, Southampton and Chandler Park Dr.?

On your side of Chandler Pk. Dr., I knew the Beaudoins. Art Beaudoin was a Welder Repairman at Budd. He and my dad, then he, my dad, and I rode together to work for several years.

True story: My wife and I moved to Houston in 1980. She and I transferred our church membership to a Lutheran congregation in the area. We used to attend the Wednesday evening pot-luck suppers. The pastor said he wanted to introduce us to someone else who was from Detroit. We talked to the couple, asking pertinent questions about Detroit and where we were from. After all, if you're an east-sider, and you meet someone from the west side, he might as well be from Milwaukee.

I said, "I'm from the east side." He said, "So am I." I said, "I grew up near Saint John's Hospital." He said, "So did I." I said, "I lived two blocks from Balduck Park." He said, "So did I." I said I grew up on Farmbrook," He said, "So did I." I said, "I lived between Warren and Chandler Pk. Dr." He said, "I lived between Chandler Pk. Dr. and Chester. His name is Paul Kaiser. I had never met him before in my life.

Even 1,200 miles from home, east-siders cross paths.

Servite76

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turkeycall, did the Beaudoins have a son named Bill? Prior to getting married, I lived for a short time on Lodwyck with my buddy Tony Daguanno. It was the corner house, 2nd block of Chandler Park Dr.

Turkeycall

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Servite76,
Art and his wife had several kids. I think I remember Art mentioning his son, Bill. I think the family attended Our Lady Queen of Peace.

Miketeevee
Username: Miketeevee

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any Eastsiders here have any memories about Walter Kurz? He was (is?) infamous throughout the neighborhood. A real nosy, grouchy, mean spirited guy. I think he was a lawyer, too.

I grew up directly across the street from him in the 70s/80s on Chandler Park Drive between Hillcrest and Lannoo.. just a block from St. John.

People used to honk when they drove by his house.. kids would flip him off when they rode their bikes past.. I even remember people shooting guns through the front window. He was quite a character.

Jcole

Post Number: 4602
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone here remember where Northeastern High School was located?

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 289
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Grandy(1 block west of Jos. Campau) just south of Warren.

Jcole

Post Number: 4604
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you.

Carm
Username: Carm

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up on Nottingham between Berkshire and Haverhill. My mom lived on Lenox and my dad on Philip. He lived in the corner house at Lozier. When they got married they lived on Promenade.

Turkeycall

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oladub,
The Index says you posted this morning, but it doesn't appear.

Try again.

Maof2

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Carm. I grew up behind your dad on Manistique between Mack and Lozier. Moved in 1970. Ask him if he remembers that corner store on Lozier the next street over from Philip. I can't think of the name of the street. There was an Italian family that lived on that corner too and last I heard, they were still living there well into the 90's. I bet he knew them too or maybe that was them.

Carm

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maof2, that is my father's family. The last name is Perini. My dad was the middle brother. My grandpa died in 1992, and my grandma and uncle stayed there. Than
my grandma died in late 1998, and my uncle in early 1999. Than my dad and other uncle sold the house off to a broker.

Oladub

Post Number: 880
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Old Man" Lannoo, the namesake of Lannoo Street, owned the farmland around 7 Mile & Mack where St. John's Hospital was built. This is a 1946 photo of him. I don't know his first name. He was always referred to as "The Old Man" at extended family gatherings.

Lannoo

LANNOO

Turkeycall, Dennis Hartness lived in a bungalow a couple of houses from Chandler, toward Warren, on the west side of the street. Several of us used to spend a lot of time kicking footballs around at that end of the block and he was also at Maple Lanes and Balduck a lot. Did you know a Bordeaux or DeGryse family down your way? Other names from my block Mattson, Petz, McKibben, Scarzinski and Buffalo Emma. Behind us on Radnor Cox, Taramina, and the formidable Tishy Klenger.

Maof2

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carm - Wow, for some reason, I had a feelin'about this. I'll have to mention it to my older sister's who were closer in age to either your dad or his brother. I used to take swimming lessons at Jackson Jr High (against my mom's wishes) and would walk by the house. Don't forget to ask him about that little corner store. It's bugging me about the name. Don't want to mention names but they might remember our family...all four girls.

Maof2

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In fact, is one of the names similar to your's? Is your's a shortened version?

Carm

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll ask my dad when I talk to him. Our last name is not shortened. My dad's name is Jerry and my uncles were Tom and Bob. Tom was the oldest, my dad in the middle, and Bob the youngest. Both of my uncles have passed away.

Turkeycall

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oladub,
The name,Bordeaux, seems somewhat familiar, but I didn't know them personally. I think the Smyth family lived on the east side of Farmbrook between Frankfort and Warren. The Rice family also lived on that block.

George Scanlon, one of thirteen siblings also died in Vietnam. The Scanlons were situated about the middle-to-north part of the Frankfort/Southampton block of Farmbrook on the east side of the street.

I didn't get around much in the neighborhood. I was too busy trying to stay out of trouble with Mrs. Grosebeck, the next-door neighbor lady. She blamed me for everything that went wrong in the area. I would gladly have accepted the blame had I been a juvenile delinquent, but that just wasn't the case. She just had hen house ways.

Honestly, it was my kid brother who peed out the second floor bedroom window onto the driveway below.

Maof2

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carm - I saw one of my sisters today. One of the brothers had a nickname Weazel, right? That's the only name I remember. That's very sad about your uncle's. They couldn't have been too old. See if your dad remembers the names Roz or Fara. I was only 10 when we moved but I have good memories of the neighborhood.

Carm

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weazel is my dad. I just spoke to him. He said that building was a store for a short time, and he doesn't remember the name. Than it became a motorcycle shop. He does remember your sisters and your last name. He was telling me some of the people who lived in the area. Does the name Butch sound familiar? He is my dad's cousin. He still knows Teddy Vanderputten. He mentioned the name Zaputa, and a girl names Carol. I guess she had an artificial leg and later killed herself. Feel free to email me at c perini at g mail dot com, all one word.

Dorothyd
Username: Dorothyd

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wirks, I lived in the Gratiot/Six Mile area from about 1960 to about 1985, moving into the area when I was 12 or 13. Went to Columbus for one year, then Denby, graduating in 1964. Used to go to the Ramona theater and buy records in the record store that was next door to it on Gratiot. There was a Sanders at Six Mile and Seven Mile, as well as Cunningham's Drug Store, also a Neisner's (sp?) at Six Mile. Got married at Assumption Grotto and kids went to school there. Seven Mile was a good place to go shopping, with the dime stores, Montgomery Ward, Federal's, Great Scott Supermarket. I don't know how old you are, but back in the day it was quite a shopping area.

Kbaitinger
Username: Kbaitinger

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up on the northeast side of Detroit. Went to Wayne Elementary, Arthur and graduated from Denby in 1977

Bluenote132003
Username: Bluenote132003

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harvard and Frankfort here. Anyone remember Peace Lutheran school on E. Warren, the GREEN building?

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 Mile and Gratiot checking in.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 359
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kbaitinger, did you have a brother David in class of 1975, and did your father go to denby and run track?

Denbytar64
Username: Denbytar64

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Servite 76: Was going through the archives from Aug 29 on this thread. Saw your responce regarding your first love living on Corbett and Dickerson. I do know you, and you know me. We have the same initials. I hope you read this.

Servite76

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denbytar64, took me a minute, but I figured out who you are. How are you? Were you thinking my first love was Chris O? Didn't she live on Longview? My first love was on Corbett closer to Conner. Diane Van.....

Denbytar64

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Servite76 I tried to respond to you on this thread yesterday. It said it needed moderator approval. Guess it did not post. I wrote to you via classmates.

Denbytar64

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Servite76 Doing good. Returned from living and working in Russia 95-2007. Nice be home. I wrote to you on classmates. I do hope all is well and life has been treating you and yours kindly.

Denbytar64

Post Number: 133
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Servite76 Was not thiking of CO. She did live on Longview & Park Drive. Doing good. Just came back from working in Russia for the past 12 years. Great Vodka...Beautiful Women...why am I here chatting with you (ha ha) I will write to you via classmates. Would enjoy catching up.

Pastafazu
Username: Pastafazu

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miketeevee you just brought up a lot of memories. We grew up around the corner from Kurz. I checked the State Bar membership directory and he's still in there. I remember his kid who was the biggest brat ever. I'm surprised the two of them aren't in prison.

If you grew up across the street from him, you must have lived next door to Danis(sp?). It was a great neighborhood with Balduck and sledding in the wintertime and going to the Woods Theater. I really miss it.

Eastsideirish
Username: Eastsideirish

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, heck of a thread.

University between Frankfort and Southampton here.

Servite76 correctly mentioned Tony Deguanno's house; his sister Gina was our babysitter.

Miketeevee (great username paying an homage to Willy Wonka) mentioned the Kurz family. Do you remember the Langawitz family (sp?) who lived next door to them going toward Hillcrest? Kurz threatened to sue anyone and everyone within a 1 mile radius of him...and that was an area made up of almost all cops.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: