Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » :::Tiger Stadium: Memories, Demolition & Saving Part of It::: » Photos of the Tiger Stadium Demolition » Archive through August 19, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg_creative
Username: Sg_creative

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Photos from July 22, 2008 on back...

http://www.detroitstockphotos. com/Production/PhotoGroupView. aspx?pbid=4&msa=1&pgid=1292330 1

Treinman
Username: Treinman

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I've been there once each week... Take a peek. I liked the "band-aid" comment someone made in another thread. Slowly peeling it off. Ouch...

-- Tim

7-10-2008

7-17-2008

7-23-2008

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Free Press has a shot of the left field light tower falling. It's on page 2 of the sports section today. It seems to be bouncing around on the web site. I can't find it right now.

Magic_mushroom
Username: Magic_mushroom

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With much sadness, here is the light tower's demise.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/gallery?Site=C4&Date=2008 0723&Category=SPORTS02&ArtNo=8 07230804&Ref=PH&Params=Itemnr= 1

Richie
Username: Richie

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Treinman, Sad as it is to see the sight, that is a great sequence of pictures you have presented. I stopped by the old ball park after work last night. Having been there before I brought a step ladder with me so that I could peer over the fence, this gives you a pretty good view showing the jaws of destruction doing their thing. The Free Press article on the previous post, which of course would not be a genuine Free Press article if it did not include at least one picture of a little kid gives me the impression that the tower must have come down not long before my arrival. The hole shown in this picture and mentioned on an earlier post was covered over when I got there. Old glory however was standing proud over the scene. Looking at the section of wall with the aluminum siding removed makes me wonder why this was ever covered over, the wall looked far better before! As I took the pictures from across I-94, the exit ramp in front of me was slow moving and an SUV plowed into the car in front of it, obviously the driver was looking at the carnage over his left shoulder instead of the road in front of him! I also noticed the Plaza is now boarded over and you can no longer look inside. You will note the mutilated Coke sign in the foreground of one of these pictures.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 283
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought this thread was going to be updated each day of demolition. Where are they now with the demo?

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 473
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

right around where they were above, posted on Thursday. Not much work happens over the weekend.

(Message edited by mdoyle on July 27, 2008)

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 894
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

on the contrary...
Free Press: Tiger Stadium's left field is lonnng gone!
quote:

Crews at Tiger Stadium completed the demolition of the entire left field section of the ballpark over the weekend.

pics

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catman, buildingsofdetroit.com updates nearly daily with new photos of the demo:

www.buildingsofdetroit.com/pla ces/tiger

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3032
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heres photos from today - monday 28th

http://www.detroitfunk.com/200 8/07/stadium_demolition_update .html

Treinman

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flybydon! Was that you doing a fly-by today 7/31 at about 11:45? I was waving... ;)

Here's the forth (see above) stitched photo and yeah, I'm starting another set from the bridge.

-- Tim

P.S. From reading other threads: I left no trash; I have visited several times over the last 9 years; but yeah, I'm probably guilty of being a middle-aged suburbanite... ;) Well, let's call it "just shy" of middle aged.

Forth Week

bridge one

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some snippets from my video from the overpass on Jul 31 08:

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 239
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

August 2, 2008

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 700
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Painful as they are, thanks for the pics. Looks like there's still time to park one off the overhang. I wonder if they will find any old baseballs stuck somewhere in the structure? Would be kinda neat to find one from about 50 yrs ago with the commissioner's name on it.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2966
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Painful, yes, but nonetheless, awesome photos, 401don! I was over there on Saturday morning to check out the progress. Thanks for this added perspective.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 286
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the pictures, Flybydon! These are certainly going to be important historical pictures in the decades ahead! It ain't cheap flying planes with the price of fuel. I appreciate your efforts.

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 171
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And as any baseball historian will tell you, if they were to find a 50-year-old baseball, it would have the signature of the league president on it, not the commissioner. The commissioner's signature is a relatively new change to the face of major league baseballs.

401don

Post Number: 703
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, brain cramp Tigersfan (especially with my 3 Lee McPhail baseballs staring at me when I wrote that).

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some new demo photos up at http://www.buildingsofdetroit. com/places/tiger. Though they're obviously not as spectacular as Don's.

Sg_creative
Username: Sg_creative

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Added 16 more today. 080808 (The first 16 in the Tiger Stadium gallery.

http://www.detroitstockphotos. com/Production/PhotoGroupView. aspx?pbid=4&msa=1&pgid=1292330 1

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 240
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To view more aerial images of the demolition please visit

http://www.aerialpics.com/G/TigerStadiumDemo.html

I’ll update as often as time and fuel will allow.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1418
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In addition to the video I posted of the center field wall as it came tumbling down (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =lPddQBnkc1A), there also are new photos of the office tower demolition at www.buildingsofdetroit.com/pla ces/tiger.
Got some close-up, fence-free shots of the piles of rubble and the office tower there, too.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 456
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Sunday, I was on my way down Michigan Avenue, when I had the fantastic luck to be passing as they were removing the Detroit Tigers sign from Tigers plaza. While this was a newer sign, it was still a sad sight. Some people at Hoots were there, but not many people got to see this. Fortunately, I took a number of pictures. For now, I will post this one, and eventually I will post more (and better quality - I was struggling to get this under the size limit) as I get the time. They put the sign on a flatbed, covered it with a black covering, and then drove it away.

T

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 2126
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was lucky to have my little Flip camera in my bag when I saw this picture on my way to work. The entire video is on my You Tube Channel
TigerStadiumRainbow

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 2128
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot to mention that the rainbow came about from the big stream of water that they were spraying on the demolition site.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 216
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think there's ANY chance they'll take that Tiger Stadium sign (from the TS plaza) to Comerica Park? I know they city owns TS, but it would be a nice touch. Or was this possibly auctioned off?

Treinman

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an attempt to auction it off. It was the first item up for bids, if I remember correctly.

I think they wanted $10,000, but there was the catch that the winner had to remove it! (Not to mention have space to display it.) It didn't sell.

-- Tim

P.S. I went by at lunch, THE BLEACHERS ARE GONE! (Reggie Jackson's Light tower is next...)

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Treinman. I'd hate to think that that sign (or anything from TS for that matter) is headed for the scrap heap.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reggie Jackson's light tower is gone now. Went down about 8:30 last night. I've been disappointed with how little attention such milestones in the demolition have attracted.

And bad news, Border: All of Tiger Stadium is going to the recycling heap, which is sorta like a scrap heap only greener.

401don

Post Number: 729
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they should at least store the sign for possible incorporation into the museum. It wouldn't cost much to pay the scrap value to the demo company or return it at a later date. As stated earlier, the sign is not that old but it's a memory for even the younger folk.