Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Reading Night at the Georgia Street Garden » Archive through August 22, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be there "in spirit" :-)

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 841
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This will be a great night of reading to the kids of the Garden! I can't wait for the cookies, and look forward to getting through another 3 chapters(hopefully!).

Looking forward to seeing all of the forumers there, too!

Vet, your spirit is always felt amongst us!

Star Wars, Cub?

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 694
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13728
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be missing this one, this Chicago job turned out to be a series of hurdles...luckily I'm good at jumping while running, it'll get done but three days late. UGH.

Have fun, folks! (pictures from last week will have to wait another, sorry PlyRes!)

Cub

Post Number: 696
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BUMP

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does "Bump" mean?

Gannon, (you know me from Myspace), I hope to meet you at the Garden in a few weeks.

Gannon

Post Number: 13730
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotcha, Mashugruskie, will do.

We 'bump' things to keep them on the top of this rolling series of e-discussions, so folks unaccustomed to forums can find it easier!

Cheers

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't get it, but okay.

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 299
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mash,

Adding a post of any length "bumps" it to the top of the list of threads (where it's more prominent and thus more likely to be read and responded to). Hence the use of the word "bump." You can type anything, obviously.

I feel kind of silly writing this little tutorial because I am one of the lamest people on this planet when it comes to understanding technology. It only took me three months to figure out myself what "bump" meant.

Feel free to bump and grind....

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2668
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Took me a while to figure out what it meant too! So now I'll bump it to the top again!

Anyway, hope reading night didn't get rained out. Let us know.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2979
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, let us know if and how things went tonight. I stopped by a little after 6pm with Cman710 and his fiancee who were in town for the Preservation Wayne Theatre Tour earlier in the day. So as we toured around the D, we made a quick stop on Georgia Street. Looking great, Cub!!

Cub

Post Number: 697
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh wow. I wish I had been out there when you came by. Would have loved to have met Cman.Thank You Kathleen.
We did have the reading. The kids insisted.
Scs100's father and Plymouthres read. Crystal and hubby brought milk and cookies. (RIP Bernie Mac). We watched Star Wars I Phantom Menace. It was a great turn out despite the rain.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2981
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry we missed you, Cub! It was a very spur of the moment decision as we tried to hit all of the sites on Cman's list.

Cub

Post Number: 699
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just reread my post. I was saying thank you for the compliment on the garden. Hope you didn't take it the wrong way. :-)

Kathleen

Post Number: 2982
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not at all....just wishing that time-wise we could have stopped by when you and the kids and others were there. Soon!!

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 769
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cub-how did it go last nite?

Plymouthres

Post Number: 842
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last night was interesting in the fact that despite the rain, there were about a dozen or so kids who showed-up to the Garden for the reading!
We had a few new forumer's there, as Scs100, Dad and mom, along with Crystal and her husband, Ken and Harriet all showed up to lend their support!

As Cub said above, we had a new reader, Scs' dad, and the kids showed their appreciation by sitting through another two chapters of Harry Potter despite the on and off rain. The rainbows finally did us in at the end as the children were all drawn to their beauty!

The movie was Star Wars I and was attended by the adults, who hung in to the end! It was a nice ending to a very cool night, and, despite the rain, we were able to generate some heat with a small fire in the firepit, which helped to take the edge off the dampness.

Finally, I would really like to thank Crystal and her husband for their effort to contribute to the reading night, the cookies and milk, and the support that they have provided by being there. They live much further out than we do and have at least a half hour to 45 minute drive just to get there, yet they have been out twice(that I know of) to support the effort. A big thank you to Scs and family, as their support lends credibility to our effort as well and makes the Garden a true place where all can gather, not just the neighborhood.

I would encourage anyone who wants to experience the joy of watching children (and adults!) learn to come out and participate in the reading/movie night-it is a very rewarding experience in many facets, indeed! We will not let rain or any type of inclement weather deter us from our mission, and the dedication of the kids will always keep us coming back. If they can make it, so can we!

Next week will be Chapters 6 and 7, and we will be finishing the book soon, which will be followed by the movie itself!

You do not have to bring anything, but I guarantee that you will walk away from the experience with something!

See you at the Garden!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9453
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a treat to finally get out to the garden again.

A marvelous effort that Cub and others have started.

It was a real treat to watch the enraptured and interested faces of those kids as they listened to the story being read. As were the questions the kids asked me about pinching back of the basil and the light weeding I was doing.

They had a genuine interest and an obvious pride in "their" garden. 10 minutes talking with those kids will certainly disprove some of our "less-enlightened" stereotypes of urban youth.

Cub, Thanks again!

Cub

Post Number: 716
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. Thank you Jams.

Reading and Movie Night this Saturday Aug. 16th 7:00pm

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 299
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump ^^^

Cub

Post Number: 720
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump^^^

Gannon

Post Number: 13779
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump for Mashugruskie!

(see y'all tonight)

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt I'll be able to go. I have been flim-flammed into taking six kids to a "kids dance" and then I get to take care of all of them over night. Next week I have a birthday so it looks like it won't be until after then. Sorry Gannon. Could you send lots of photos from Reading Night?

M.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1596
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately I have come down with a minor bug, so I will not be there tonight. Mom and Dad will probably go though. Sorry Cub. I'll be back next week, barring any unforeseen circumstances.

Cub

Post Number: 722
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem guys. See you soon.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 851
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last night was another great Reading Night at the Garden, and, once again, the kids were stuck to the words that were read like glue! Although the numbers were down a bit, due to many b-day parties in the neighborhood, the "regulars" were there and a couple of new kids showed up as well!

The Orchard across the street is beginning to take shape, and Cub was excited at the participation toward that developing area, which will expand the Garden reclaim yet another abandoned lot from the decadence that has become of it. Much has been accomplished by Cub because of his vision, and much more will occur as he expands the parameters of his ideas into reality.

Papa Scs showed up and read the sixth chapter, and I jumped in shortly after and finished up with the seventh chapter. We are rapidly closing in on the end of the first book, with the movie to follow after it's completion!

Met some new folks down there this time as well, and we watched the second Star Wars movie to cap the night off! It was a very enjoyable evening, and we were joined by Rel and Pgn and his lovely wife as this weeks support adults, along with Momma Cub and the other regular adult crowd.

We missed Scs and his mom, too, but we hoped for a speedy recovery from the mystery fever that plagued Scs this week. I am sure we will see him next week as the entire family has helped out in a huge way with this very worthy event.

Looking forward to next week and hopefully we can get some more of the fine members of this forum out to enjoy a night of reading and friendship at the Georgia Street Community Garden!

Cub

Post Number: 753
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reading and Movie Night in the Garden, Saturday Aug. 23.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 223
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Innitially I gave you the wrong date for our garden group in EEV. You said you hoped to come. I can't find my post or your response on either Georgia Street garden threads. As I stated on my original missing post I think you would find a group interested and willing to help with your project. I am repeating my post (that still exists) on the other thread that I had the wrong date. If you can come that would be great. Bring friends if you like.

Previous post on the other thread:

sorry I gave the wrong date. The Meeting is Sunday August 24th. 3 to 6. Hope you can still make it. I think your vision for your garden and community makes for a great story. In September we also do a plant exchange. My email is sueview2@sbcglobal.net I'll send our address and phone #. Also have an additional bag of books for the kids. We will also have friends from various city neighborhoods coming. Creekside and Brightmoor to name a few. I hope you will be able to inspire other areas to emulate your project. Good luck Sue

Cub

Post Number: 754
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be there. Sending an e mail now.

Cub

Post Number: 756
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump