Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » :::Tiger Stadium: Memories, Demolition & Saving Part of It::: » Sadly poetic ... lights out at Michigan and Trumbull « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1454
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Traffic lights are out all over downtown - including the lights at Michigan and Trumbull. With the fund-raising deadline right around the corner, could be an ominous sign. ... Then again, it could be a sign for Kwame since lights are out all over town. :-)

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 229
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a sign that the "Navin field section" of Tiger Stadium is about to join the train station as another vacant monolith.

Those fo you who were so hellbent on saving a part of the stadium - even with the Tigers gone: be careful what you wish for...

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's a sign that the "Navin field section" of Tiger Stadium is about to join the train station as another vacant monolith."

I don't see them raising enough money to save it.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 231
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess that's my point. I'm afraid they won't come up with the money, but the city will either push the deadline back indefinitely or just not bother razing the rest of the building.

The only thing worse than the stadium being torn down completely at this point is if a section of it is left to rot for 20,30, 40 years or so.

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 577
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, that won't happen. If the money doesn't all fall into place in the very near future----early spring at the latest, though these kind of rolling deadlines make it hard to measure progress----the rest of the park will quickly come down.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 365
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the status of the bill in Congress to fund the preservation/museum/ballfield?

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that depends on which guy is elected president. McCain isn't the kind of guy to do earmarks. Obama is a Democrat, and Levin - the guy pushing for the earmark - is a Democrat, so I'd say vote Obama if you want it saved. :-)