Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » :::Tiger Stadium: Memories, Demolition & Saving Part of It::: » A lions game at the cormer « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Richie
Username: Richie

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought you might like these, I found these slides of a Lions game the stadium amongst a pile of others at an garage sale last Friday. With the team playing San Francisco and a process date of December 1970 I did a quick search and found this game was November 22, 1970. I still find it amazing how for the tens of thousands of people who went to baseball and football games there, pictures are amazingly hard to find. Note the end zones are blue and white diamonds instead of the Lions name. Who ever took these did a fantastic job, they look like press photos and considering the slow film speed of the time combined with a zoom lens and overcast skies these are all tack sharp. (some others were not) Unfortunately for the hundreds of reels of Kodachromes at this house nearly all were of waterfalls, hundreds and hundreds of pictures of waterfalls all over the country. Waterfalls are cool but they look the same today so not interesting as vintage pictures. I did score some fantastic reels from the 1964 NY Worlds Fair, a trip to Northern Michigan in 1952 and a few others but left the scenery stuff behind. As I am restricted on size they do not look as sharp and look a little bleached out here but you get the idea.

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 576
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool stuff. And what a year...Dempsey's 63-yd. FG...Landry's 76-yd. QB "sneak" against GB...Sanders' two TD grabs vs. Oakland....wonderful memories. And then that unbelievable 5-zip loss at Dallas. Killed me even though Johnny U and the Colts (my second favorite team) won the Super Bowl.

IMO, if the Lions had played Dallas at home they would've won and gone on to win the SB. The last great (well, near-great) Lions team with a real shot at the championship. Joe Schmidt was a fine coach but he couldn't take Russ Thomas's bullshit and interference. And William Clay Ford had yet to dry out so he probably doesn't remember anything of that season (or the preceeding 15 years, for that matter).

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 3033
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Richie!! What a find!!

Thanks, Richard, for the quick recap of the 1970 season. While I recall a couple of those terrific Lions moments, I could not associate them to a particular season. We had season tickets so I grew up watching or listening to the Lions every game they played.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 426
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad we haven't seen real professional football in this town since the Lions moved outta Tiger Stadium. The Silverdome? Ford FIELD?! Those are just overblown living rooms. Football is played outdoors on natural grass. Any high school benchwarmer knows that.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know; Field Turf is supposed to play like natural grass and doesn't have as much give to it.

Seriously though, I'm 34 so I have never seen the Lions "win it all", let alone play a home game outdoors. Sad...

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 758
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never really followed football until the Silverdome years. The only part that looks familiar is the Lions punter kicking out of the end zone.:-)

Slick
Username: Slick

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tiger Stadium was the place for football. Bleacher seats for 5 dollars. Cold as the dickens, everyone tried to crowd the restrooms at halftime for what little heat there may have been. Talk about people drinking, saw one guy do a header had to be 20 concrete steps.

Remember Harry Gilmore? His last game was December and snow balls were flying all around the stadium. The next day newspaper shows him getting smacked in his cowboy hat with a whopper of a snowball.

GREAT MEMORIES. Indoor football is almost as bad a indoor baseball.