Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » The Start of an Urban Garden and Neighbourhood Gathering Place » Archive through August 20, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whenever something good is occurring in the midst of many other things that are not-so-good, preservation comes to mind. With the GSCG, maybe it is a productive vehicle carrying participants toward an ultimate goal of, say, community development.

Repeatedly, clearly communicate reasons for being, and long-term shared goals. Develop leadership. Communicate well amongst the stake-holders. Recognize how the GSCG might suffer if one or more of the current de facto leaders ceased participation.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 532
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, have to back out of the gas grill deal. It was missing too many parts maybe thats why my cousin wanted to get rid of it. I,LL keep my eye out for one. SORRY BOUT THAT.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 731
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem Reddog.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 217
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, sorry I gave the wrong date. The Meeting is Sunday August 24th. 3 to 6. Hope you can still make it. I think your vision for your garden and community makes for a great story. In September we also do a plant exchange. My email is sueview2@sbcglobal.net I'll send our address and phone #. Also have an additional bag of books for the kids. We will also have friends from various city neighborhoods coming. Creekside and Brightmoor to name a few. I hope you will be able to inspire other areas to emulate your project.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 218
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lnfant, Fish heads are a great fertilizer. It's what the indians locally used. We have been involved with the Fox Creek Trail tree plantings for several years and used fish donated by local residents in our plantings. Great stuff.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 853
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vet-

I can assure you that the GSCG is at no risk of losing the momentum that it has, and is, in fact, going to be going on long after both Cub and I have stopped our participation. The evidence of new volunteers and those that have been with us from the beginning bears that out already.

Please understand that neither of us are in jeopardy of "checking out" before we have raised up a new group of people to assume what we are doing both on the community garden level and from the reading/mentoring level.

We are determined to work ourselves out of a job, and we will ensure that the Garden and it's concepts continue to grow and flourish. As we go forward, a new group of "leaders" will be given the responsibility of running the programs, and from there, the Garden will perpetuate itself forever.

Although I cannot directly speak for Cub, I feel that the Garden will be very successful in the future(as if we could be any more successful!) and that even greater things are to come as the project gains more notoriety and momentum.

I am convinced that if I were to drop dead tomorrow, someone would pick up the torch and move forward. To spend a night at the Garden, watching the children and the adults interact and the neighborhood come together as one, would certainly have you agreeing with me.

This effort is not born of arrogance, but of necessity. Therefore, the intentions of the "heart" will perpetuate the project and new "hearts" will spring forth to continue the work that is so desperately needed not only at this Garden, but at many more that will surely rise up from the fine leadership that Cub and his vision have and will provide.

I hope that one day soon you can visit and see this for yourself, and hopefully then you will surely see the miracle that has evolved from this effort.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just want to thank Mr and Mrs Res along with Cub for stoppin by the shack today and givin me some pointers and more, on how to fix up my place here where Im at. It needs a lot of work but they all came up with some great ideas for helping me become more a part of the community. Especially the idea of moving next years garden across the street to a bigger, healthier and more visible empty lot. This is my first year with a garden and am kind of embarrassed by its current state. The three of them gave me hope, and better plans than I would have come up with on my own for next year.

No promises but Im going to do my best to take advantage of you all. LOL

Thank you.

Django

The talk of neighborhoods sprouting these gardens and slowly connecting them all across the city had a big impact on my thought process. It totally seems possible after seeing what Cub has done with his hood.

Ill do my best but I cant make any promises.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres, your words of confidence brightened my dreary Monday morning. A big smile of relief grew across my face as I read your post. Without question, on my next visit to Detroit, the GSCG will be on the itinerary.

(Message edited by vetalalumni on August 18, 2008)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13792
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'twas a great warning you gave, though, Veta, and one that should be asked of ANYTHING we start through here and beyond.

Cheers!

(I love Django 'promising' to do his best then saying he won't promise...all we ask, Django, is for you to do what you CAN, not what you think everyone expects from you! We are all merely human, after all.)

Plymouthres

Post Number: 855
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django-

You are welcome and I want you to go and look at your shingle thread on the "Connections" side when you get a chance. I posted over there so we wouldn't jack this thread, and I think you will be please with what I have to say. Expect more as we go forward.

I will be posting more on a new thread I am going to start and I hope that everyone will read it so they can pitch-in if they want to help out.

Talk to you soon.

Res

Vet-

So glad that I could add some "light" to your day and hope that every day is a bit brighter until you get to Detroit and see it all for yourself!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 12086
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Res/Cub - I am getting in this pretty late and haven't followed. If you are holding a reading night would you be willing to take donated books/bookstore gift cards to pass out to the kids that attend?

Reddog289

Post Number: 533
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

with my little bit of space i got to plant i know now that next year i,ll steal Cubs idea and build some raised beds. The rain barrel&unused farm land thread gave me great ideas, as allways you gotta do your best and hope for the best. now i know why my dad gets aggitated when his maters don,t ripen. but at 84 yrs old he keeps planting then plans for the next year.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 859
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, we take books and will certainly take the gift cards for the kids. We could use them as rewards for them reading, and we so very much appreciate your offer Jt1. You are indeed the man!

Please let us know how we can hook up or please feel free to contact Cub at the Garden and maybe we can get you involved in the cause, too! Perhaps we can finally meet at a movie or reading night, every Saturday night at 7:00pm at the garden?

Looking forward to hearing from you, my friend!

Res

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 12088
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds good. What ages and proficiency level for books?

Plymouthres

Post Number: 861
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

8 thru 14 years of age, but any age books will get distributed by Cub quite well, as he is the master of communication with the neighborhood and it's kids.

Use your discretion, Jt1. You are good at discerning these types of things, so whatever you come up with will definitely be put to good use:-)

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub - I actually have a gas grill if you would like it for the garden. It could use a little cleaning up, but it still works like new. Just let me know.

I drove by the garden for the first time last week. I'm actually working on a building about a mile away and didn't realize you were so close!

Cub

Post Number: 738
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool Jfried. Yes I will take it.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 864
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub-

Check out the posts to the threads about Django! It will do your big old heart some good and you will sleep like a baby knowing that you were there from the start!

Peace my brother,

Res

Cub

Post Number: 740
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sleep well my brother.....

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 772
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*fist bump*

Cub

Post Number: 742
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL!!

Reddog289

Post Number: 536
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub , glad you got a gas grill. BETCHA it,s better then the P.O.S i allmost got.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 797
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub- Hows the fertilizer working out? did you go get more?

Cub

Post Number: 747
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No results just yet. I am taking it slow. I haven't gone back yet. I will though, cause I want to put the garden to bed with it at the end of fall. (And I owe Django a load or two).

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

russian pay an unwelcomed visit

Somebody better tell Cub he's got some Russian Pests in his Georgia Garden

Gannon

Post Number: 13873
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They all look the same to me...

Gannon

Post Number: 13874
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...'cept that dude feeding the tank...

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.amannamedpearl.com

PS: I'm Russian and I KNOW I don't look like that!

Gannon

Post Number: 13895
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mashug,

Where did you find that movie site?

Did you hear the quote from the neighborhood women? heh

I love it, fellow hears that he's not welcome because 'his kind' don't keep up their yards...then chooses to win the 'best yard' competition...and a miracle is created.

Very inspiring, you Ruskie!

I already KNOW you don't look like those war-mongers, heh, at least you photograph better.

Cheers...I'm trying to delay my next road trip after Saturday's reading night...will I finally meet you?!

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,

Not this Saturday. It's my daughter's 12th birthday. NEXT Saturday.

I found the movie site by reading about Pearl on the back page of Bon Appetite magazine.

As for the comments from the Southern women (I think you're referring to the white women?), a good body is a good body and a horny old lady is a horny old lady. :-) I'm there!

(Message edited by mashugruskie on August 20, 2008)