Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Bowling Alleys » Archive through September 19, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 273
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Motor City Lanes used to be at 8 Mile and Sherwood (technically Warren,) and was a good place to get pizza by the slice too."

Elimarr,
Motor City Recreation was on Conner just south of Mack. It was a very popular place into the mid 70's because of the Chrysler plants and their bar. Mound Lanes was on Mound just south of 8 Mile. I'm not sure about a place at 8 Mile and Sherwood but I doubt they would call it Motor City Lanes.

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 274
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Just judging from the phone numbers I'd say it's a safe bet it dates back quite a while, plus the fact most these places have either been sold or suspiciously burned down."

Zitro,
The list is from 1967. You are correct sir, it is not difficult at all to figure out this list is very dated. Many of those old bowling alleys in Detroit averaged 16 lanes and were older buildings. By the 1970's the "newer" establishments on the east side had been built just after World War II. For instance Ramona Lanes on 6 Mile was built in 1946. Places like the Jefferson Club around Jefferson & Chalmers dated back to the 1920's.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 836
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nottingham Lanes here!

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 358
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grew up bowling (horribly) at Maple Lanes...but to date I haven't seen a bowling alley (or league) as nice as that in the Abbey of the Detroit Athletic Club. 3 leagues per day, 5 days per week, all to capacity, people driving all the way in from Lansing and beyond.

Insanity.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 335
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another alley from the list is going if not gone.
Shorecrest (formerly the Ritz) at 9 Mile and Harper was padlocked for back taxes recently.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1833
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bowling center ads that were placed in old charity yearbooks:

Regal Lanes, 17701 Harper, Detroit 24 Mich. TU. 5-9898

Argyle Recreation, 18 Alleys, Paul Eland, Prop., Harry Allen, Mgr., 10491 Northlawn, Detroit 4, Mich, WE. 5-9662 {same as 1967 Yellow Pages listing, above]

Center Line Lanes, 25323 Van Dyke, Center Line, Mich., SL 4-1858, Ten Alleys.

Desantis Lanes, 27663 Mound Rd., north of 11 Mile Rd., Warren, Mich., SL 4-1770, 20 Brunswick Automatic Alleys, Cocktail Lounge, Pat DeSantis, Prop.

Sunnyview Lanes, 35891 S. Gratiot Ave. at Sunnyview, Clinton Township, Mich., HO 8-6402, Open Bowling - 3 for $1.00, Leagues welcome, 10 brand new Semi-automatic Brunswick Lanes, Larry H. Slocum, Prop.

Joe's Bar & Recreation, Eight Alleys, Open Bowling Saturday and Sunday, 29410 Gratiot, Roseville, PR 5-9318 [today, Apollo Lanes]

Lefty's Utica Bowling Alley, 4 Alleys, Semi-automatic Equipment, Draft Beer, 7669 Auburn Rd., Utica, Mich., RE 9-5321

Timber Lanes Bowling & Bar, 24550 Gratiot, East Detroit, Mich, PR 1-8980

Pastime Lanes, Bar & Restaurant, 7580 9 Mile Rd. west of Van Dyke, Warren, Mich., SL 4-2428

I'm still looking for an ad from that bowling alley that was at the northeast corner of Sherwood and Eight Mile in Warren.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 267
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Luxury Lanes & Lounge
600 E. Nine Mile Rd.
Ferndale, MI 48212

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 383
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hone up - somebody from this thread must've appeared on Bowling For Dollars, or knew somebody that did.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1979
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend Greg Zajdel was on Bowling For Dollars and I was in the audience waving to Smiling Bob. Greg left a 4 pin

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 385
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^Youch! "Brooklyn side!"

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7761
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bowling Alleys that are now closed down in the year 2000s:

Royal Oak Lanes, Royal Oak, MI.

Shore Crest Lanes, St. Clair Shores, MI.

Madison Park Bowl, Madison Heights, MI.

My first bowling alley was is Silver Lanes in Garden City, MI. in 1986.

I used to bowl at Esquire Lanes on Plymouth Rd. West of Southfield FWY. in Detroit. A long time ago it used to be Crown Lanes.

There was Rocket Lanes on Schoolcraft, Rd. west of Evergreen Rd. in Detroit. It's was closed in the mid 1990s.

Satellite Bowl in Michigan Ave. and Gulley Rd. was big and beautiful. I won my first tournament in 1996.

There still is Ed Clemente's Bowl and Restaurant in on Fort St. south of Southfield Rd. Lincoln Park, MI. Only 6 lanes it is the smallest bowling alley in the Tri-County Area. Still in use today and its very popular with every night leagues.

This millenium Bananza Lanes and Bronco Lanes in Warren MI. used to be owned by Community Bowling Centers is now under ownership.

Bananza Lanes is owned by Eastpointe Bowl.

Bronco Lanes is owned by Hartfields? They actually wanted back because it was making more money from the black leagues.

The Bowling alleys that I dominate and won more league championships every year.

Universal Lanes, That's where I bowl my second 300 perfect game in practice.

Bowl One Lanes

Five Star Lanes

Pampas Lanes

Fairlanes Bowl

Hartfield Lanes

Plum Hollow Lanes

Thunderbowl Lanes

Taylor Lanes

Oxford Lanes, where I bowled my first 300 perfect game.

Eastpointe Bowl

Astro Lanes

Fairlanes Bowl in Madison Heights, MI.

Cloverlanes

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whithorn11446,

Check out the last line in Mikeg's post above. I did not mention "northeast corner" so maybe he's remembering it also since it WAS on that corner. I'm pretty sure the name was Motor City --- (something.)
If you doubt that something in Warren would use "Motor City" in their title, you probably don't remember roller skating at the Motor City rink at 9 & Van Dyke. They took liberties on naming that too! Here's a link to the rink:
http://www.guarnieri.com/motor city/index.htm
Now back to our regularly scheduled bowling topic...

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 275
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elimarr,
I know about the roller skating rink at 9 Mile and Van Dyke. Its not about doubting some business in Warren would use the name "Motor City" because it was used all over the place both city and suburb. A rolling skating rink and bowling alley using the basically the same name isn't going to create as much confusion as bowling alleys both on the east side and under 10 miles apart using the same name. Maybe it was in fact called Motor City Lanes, but most people back then in Detroit(50's-early 70's)especially involved in bowling would think of Mack & Conner when hearing Motor City.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1838
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 6:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember that bowling alley on the northeast corner of Sherwood and Eight Mile because I've been inside it. I just can't remember the name of it, but I too, seem to remember that it began with an "M".

It's shown here on this aerial photo taken May 30, 1961, courtesy DTE/WSU:

Eight Mile and Sherwood, 1961 aerial

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3819
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, you didn't mention Thunderbird Lanes or Bowlero in your 'domination' list. I thought everyone in the northern suburbs bowled at them. I used to be a waitress on the lanes at T-Bird and it was always packed. I think it was owned by the same owner as Thunderbowl, Chuck Walby.

Mikefive
Username: Mikefive

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elimarr, the bowling alley you were talking about is Central City Lanes. Ironically Bronco Lanes is now owned by the same family that owned Central City the Shephards.

Zitro

Post Number: 1982
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found some other bowling alley matchbooks, most of these would have been from the 60's

Zitro

Post Number: 1983
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro

Post Number: 1984
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro

Post Number: 1985
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found these to be interesting. If I remember Klee's, it was on McNichols. I believe these matches are from around the 40's, and it shows it being across from the Ramona Theater.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 296
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone see Van Dyke Lanes on Kitchen Nightmare's on Fox last night?

Caquail
Username: Caquail

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandfather owned Pearce Recreation in Wyandotte from 1952 to 1968.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 235
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ZITRO...I bowled in leagues there from about 1965-1969. I don't remember who owned the place but I do remember he drove an Imperial. A tall, kind of thin man. I don't remember Tim, but do remember a Frank Denryter, but he was a high school kid, too. I remember Eddie, who was the main mechanic. My boyfriend was Ken Travis. He was a little younger than me, but had started working there pretty young. He also worked at Topper Lanes at 12 and Gratiot.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 236
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to see a neat bowling lane, take a look on the Manoogian Mansion photos thread. A super old lane with incredible wooden ball return rack.

Zitro

Post Number: 1988
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grumpy, the owner then was a guy named Walter, I can't remember his last name. Frank was Fred's older bro, he worked there until he went to Nam, then Fred started there in probably 68-69. Larry Russell was another guy that worked there for a while.

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 276
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I found these to be interesting. If I remember Klee's, it was on McNichols. I believe these matches are from around the 40's, and it shows it being across from the Ramona Theater"

Klee's was originally in the basement of Remer's. Remer's was located at Gratiot & Seymour(Southeast corner). Later the owner, pro bowler Eddie Lubanski moved Klee's to 6 Mile and Simms(3 blocks east of Conner)

Zitro

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Whithorn, I thought it was farther west than Ramona Lanes and apparently it was.

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro,
I too remember Klee's being on McNichols (closer to Hoover than Gratiot,) so I was puzzled your matchbook with the Gratiot address. I had to call for some back up on this...My mother (league bowler at Ramona Lanes) remembers Klee's being a bar on Gratiot, with a few lanes in the basement. (Maybe that is why the matchbook says "bowling in connection.") By the 1970's it was in the McNichols location.
I was strictly an "open lanes" recreational bowler, so I've been to a lot of the Northeast side lanes, but maybe only once or twice. That's why I can't get very in depth on any certain one. There were SO many bowling lanes back then, and now there are just a couple still actually within Detroit.

Silverbeauty
Username: Silverbeauty

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

back in the early 40's my dad was a pin setter at the bol-wood. On the corner of the Boulevard and Woodward.

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 277
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro,
My dad worked at Ramona Lanes for Joe Strobl. Yes, Ramona was on 6 Mile and Hickory just west of Schoenherr. It closed in the early 80's when the roofing problems occured.

Ramona did not have a bar until the 70's. Yet, it made money for years from pure volume of leagues and open bowling. Mr. Strobl for awhile also owned Royal Lanes around E. Warren & Alter. Mr. Strobl was a stockbroker and owned Ramona as a hobby. He didn't actually intend to make money with the place but because he had good people running it still managed to make a profit.

(Message edited by Whithorn11446 on September 19, 2008)