Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Joel Thurtell v. Matty Moroun (wrong guy wins) » Archive through September 24, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 633
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At risk of spiking your blood pressure, check out this blog post today by ex-Freep star Joel Thurtell.

It's headlined Please don't look at these pictures! and is a reminder how our freedom of movement, along with other constitutional rights, are eroded in the name of homeland security.
sign
Worse yet, this over-reaching is by a private business with no government authority . . . and the 23-year Freep vet who retired last year says on his blog:
quote:

The billionaire owner of the Ambassador Bridge has grabbed parts of two City of Detroit Parks and — maybe to cover up his takeover — he’s banned photography from what remains of the publicly-owned park. He claims authority under Homeland Security, but city officials tell me the feds say he’s acting on his own.

. . . Later, I learned that the fenced-in area with gravel and threatening signs is actually part of the park. Matty has taken it over. The signs are not from the Department of Homeland Security. He had them made. So Matty’s threatening to prosecute people for 'trespassing' in a public park!

Doug
The no-badge enforcer

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Falsifying that kind of thing could be quite the charge.

I wonder if Cockrel is as "in-bed" with Matty as Kilpatrick was.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1910
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we should arrange a Dyes Softball game at the park...see what they'd do with 20 folks.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 7698
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heck, just get a big party out there

Realitycheck

Post Number: 634
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

get a big party out there

I'm in, RB and Gnome.

Just say when. Bet Thurtell can goose media coverage.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10402
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about calling Homeland security and letting them know a private business is impersonating their agency?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14136
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll need to buy a mitt...wonder if I can borrow a bat from Carlita's collection...no WAY they have the room to store everything at the Park Shelton.

I'm already ready for any party, though...heh.

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 173
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or maybe...you could go down there and just hang out. Do absolutely nothing illegal, wait until the security guy shows up, refuse to leave because it's a public park, and then wait for the security guy to threaten to hold you until the Border Patrol gets there. While he's stopping you from leaving, call 911, and report that you're being held illegally in a public park by a man with a gun. Make sure he actually has a gun - they get pretty pissed when you report someone has a gun, but really doesn't.

I'd be really curious to see what happens. I might even try it for myself.

Does anyone know if there's a way to determine whether or not a sign is officially from the Department of Homeland Security? I know their seal when I see it, and it wasn't on any of those signs.

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, Goat. That seems like one agency that would not take it very lightly if any entity was impersonating them.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11868
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doug is breaking the law, as it is illegal to transport a shotgun around in a truck within reach of driver or passengers in Michigan. Next time somebody comes in contact with this wannabe somebody needs to call his bluff and call the real police. I'm sure it would be the last time we saw Doug riding around with a shotgun on his seat in a public park.

Gnome

Post Number: 1911
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SS, would you be willing to support us if we held a peaceful meetup down at the Bridge?

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 279
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sign has no homeland security logo and is not even properly worded.

Gannon

Post Number: 14140
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, it is worded quite precisely...'due to'...curious.

Wonder how much trouble he can get in with this...and how soon the signs come down now that it is being made public.

I'm pissed enough to see bridge uprights being built...I thought he DIDN'T get permission to build his second span...

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3297
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moroun's argument is that since he owns something of such vital national security importance, he should also be able to vest himself with the powers of the federal government. Go ahead an look it up. It's true.

Big, big balls it takes to do that.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 874
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I had no idea. I saw those signs and assumed they were legit. I was pissed that this country was so paranoid about security that we couldn't even enjoy our riverfront parks anymore, but it never occurred to me that Moroun just put them up on his own.

Realitycheck

Post Number: 636
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

. . . thought he DIDN'T get permission to build his second span.

Don't need no stinkin' city permission or DHS seal when you contribute early and often to Congresswoman CCK and y'alls boy the may...

Hey, hold on here -- is that a crack in the political pilings, a shake in the support structure, a rumble in the riverbed that is about to start registering even with Matty?

To paraphrase a late president:
Mr. Cockrel, Take Back This Park!

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 239
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't the bridge supports just part of the I-75 Gateway project . . . and not a second bridge span?

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3298
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moroun's reasoning for building the second span is a bunch of mendacious horseshit. Says he just wants to build the other span so he can shut the first one down for "inspections" -- and that he simply doesn't intend to keep both open.

He's a walking argument for nationalization, but for some reasons it's these kinds of people who get to wield eminent domain, not the other way around.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every other international crossing is publicly owned - it's not an argument for nationalization, it's an argument for practicality.

Such an important crossing should not be in private hands.

Gannon

Post Number: 14142
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joel just told me he wouldn't organize and participate in any overt protest (my words, not his), but would like us to notify him if we do anything...there are more than a few reporters who would like to cover the actions and results.

Cheers

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3306
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, once you're officially a "reporter," participating in any protest mars your reputation as a disinterested party.

Gnome

Post Number: 1912
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, a week from today, October 1, 2008, there will be an adhoc softball game at the park. The reason for a softball game, is to give a peaceful reason for our gathering. The park is designed for softball. If we gather just to gather, we can be accused of having other motives.

We will park our cars at the Riverside Park at the base of West Grand Blvd at Fort Street.

Gathering time: 4:15 pm
Game time: 5 pm

I suggest that everyone wear a Black shirt. If we all wear a single color, Manny's goons will have a difficult time identifying people.

Who's in? We need 20 people.

GNOME

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 374
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm there!

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 279
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can there be a different reason for the gathering? If protestors bring baseball bats (regardless of how peaceful the protestors may be), if things go awry it could be stated that the protestors brought weapons.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 163
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

regardless of the reason you go, id make sure you have some big dudes amongst the group that even security would be intimidated by.

Gannon

Post Number: 14169
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whiffle?

Gnome

Post Number: 1913
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Folks, folks, please relax. I understand everyone's bile is on the rise, but the purpose of the softball game is not to hurt anyone or confront anyone.

Friends being friendly. No thoughts of violence are necessary or helpful.

If someone else would like to plan a butterfly hunt, well, please step forward; otherwise we will continue with the plan of nice people getting together to play America's favorite game.

Who's In?

Gannon

Post Number: 14172
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be the still cameraman...we'll need a video and sound recorder with a decent boom mic, too. We want this all captured properly. Maybe we can just hide a simple camcorder or two in bags...but I'd still like to get some overall still shots from a decent safe distance. (ahem)

If we don't WANT the stills, I guess I'll play the outfield...that's where they always stuck me...because I sucked at baseball in grade school. I'll suffer the bad memories for this experiment, er, game.

Who knows, now that I've got proper eyewear I might be better at it! I've even got a black t-shirt just ratty enough to sacrifice on this fly.

I will need to borrow a mitt on such short notice, I've got no spare funds to spend on it now.

Cheers

Gnome

Post Number: 1914
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be going to Red Shield store for supplies.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am there! I can try to get a contingent from grown ass and detroit sandlot if they would b welcomed? I love softball and it would be alot of fun.