Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Eagle Tobacco Wks. » Archive through September 25, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 317
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Based on Stinger4me’s vignette of his father walking to the store at Ferry and Grandy and your Sanborn Map, Hornwrecker from that HOF post in the Early Polish Detroit thread it looks suspiciously like the Goike Stuff factory.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok guys, I was in this facility, and maybe they moved to a new location (perhaps) but the place I was in looked as if it was in production for a long time.

The address was 5517 Grandy. The incorporation papers from 1965 (same person in the article) lists this address, one house off Ferry on Grandy.

http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/bc s_corp/image.asp?FILE_TYPE=STS &FILE_NAME=D0128%5CSTAT0647%5C 92267DVC.TIF

Refer to page one of the incorporation papers.

Mortalman

Post Number: 318
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Son-of-gun, Townonenorth, how in the hell did you ever find that? Good stuff. Was that a Nexis-Lexis search?

Townonenorth

Post Number: 177
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to ask you what a Lexis Nexis search was, but I decided to look it up.

No I don't have access to that search.

Look at the link, it's from the State of Michigan incorporation page. Info from most businesses that were in existing in 1985 and onward are included.

Mortalman

Post Number: 321
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have a 1940 or before Yellow Pages phone book for Detroit? It would be interesting to post the ads of Cigar Factories on this thread to see what the distribution of addresses for the purpose of seeing what communities were part of that industry.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This partial chapter of this book will give you an idea of what the cigar making business was about back then:

http://books.google.com/books? id=9mKFVJ1FGJMC&pg=PA189&dq=de troit+cigar&sig=ACfU3U0-97qd3Z h6_1cPbux9zAOahCbBcA

Also, if you care to go through each business in the directory, the 1905 Annual Bureau of Labor Statistics has a list of all manufacturers in Detroit, and other places. Scroll up to get the whole list.

http://books.google.com/books? id=d8NKAAAAMAAJ&pg=RA1-PA144&d q=detroit+cigar#PRA1-PA143,M1

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1908
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cool links T1N, the second link show the number of female employees as well as the number of employees under the age of 16.

I used the search function on the right for Ford motor ... it showed what the state safety inspector found unsafe: they needed to clean their water closet.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Google books is a great resource for out of print books. They add more all the time.

The list of accidents by county is curiously small. I'd wager a vast amount of accidents went unreported.

51 Cigar manufacturers in 1904, not counting the dealers in tobacco and makers of cigar boxes, with an interesting article here:

http://books.google.com/books? id=d6EoAAAAYAAJ&pg=PT72&dq=det roit+cigar+boxes

Mortalman

Post Number: 325
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cigar girls on strike parading in front of different cigar manufacturers on 6/18/1937 in Detroit.

cigar girls

Townonenorth

Post Number: 180
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from the Cigar Maker's Union, an account of the conditions, and how the Polish (and other) women were abused.
http://books.google.com/books? id=VexNAAAAMAAJ&pg=RA2-PA9&dq= detroit+cigar+boxes

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2077
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortalman, the cigar makers that I listed as being in Volume 3 of the Sanborn maps, are in an area bordered by Gratiot, Woodward, EGB, and Grandy. So, they're mostly all near the old Polish neighborhood clustered around Chene.

That was the only volume index that I went through, when I started keeping track of them on a spreadsheet.

Mortalman

Post Number: 326
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, that was what I was getting at. I thought they were clustered in the old Polish neighborhood on the east side. I wonder if there was a clustering in the west side Polish neighborhood? But, as we know about Detroit, "East is east and west is west and never the twain shall meet."

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2078
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let some Westside Polack, just off the boat, do the research on that, this Eastside Polack one will stick to what he knows.

Seriously, if you or others want to do some research on this subject for the long term, I'll dig through the Sanborn maps and post any cigar/tobacco companies that I find, as well as any images I come across.

This is a subject that can go on for many months. I started to accumulate images as I found them, for a thread, just needed some extra help for the heavy lifting.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, you are very correct. Stick to what you know. Eastside all the way. Of course my son in law's family is West Side St. Hedwig's.

I enjoy the discussion of the old Poletown area as much as the next guy, but doing one's own research is just as valuable and entertaining.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2079
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

White Eagle Tobacco/Goike Snuff

I amended the map for the White Eagle Tobacco Co and the presumed location of the Goike Snuff Co.

Mortalman

Post Number: 327
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure there must be some Westside Polacks reading this thread and hopefully they will pitch in on this one. I'm sure Laurie A. Gomulka-Palazzolo, Ann Hetzel-Gunkel, Thaddeus C. Radzilowski, etc. (Whew, that's even a mouthful for an Eastside Polack) are at least perusing this webside and probably this thread to get info for their next books. So, come on down and help with a little of the heavy lifting. You won’t get paid anything but it might be satisfying!

Townonenorth

Post Number: 183
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Located at 5517 Grandy in the rear building with an x on it, little more than a garage.

Image from Detroit Edison historic aerial photos.
(Wayne State)

Whole image source:

http://techtools.culma.wayne.edu/media/wayne/1961/fm-30-128.pdf

Started in 1934 according to the above article.

Grandy and Ferry

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2080
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Banner Tobacco Works, established 1861, 53-59 E. Larned and Randolph

Banner Tobacco Works 1884

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

"I'm sure there must be some Westside Polacks reading this thread and hopefully they will pitch in on this one."

The use of the "P" word should not be tolerated on this board.

Wonder how much outrage would be generated if the "n" word or "fags" was used to identify a group of people.

I am deeply offended.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2081
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really, I thought the only offensive word in my post was Westside, but I'm just a dumb Eastside P-word. Back to the topic on hand.

It appears that Banner moved closer to their labor source, and moved to the Warren and Jos Campau area around 1915, and slightly changed their business name.

Banner Cigar 1915

It appears to be a 4 story bldg of brick construction.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice work Hornwrecker, on the colorizing of these Sanborn maps. Adds a lot to them.

In the book excerpt I had posted above, they stated that San Telmo Cigar relocated on Chene, then moved to a large plant on (I'm assuming)East Forest to "be closer to their labor source"

FYI, they also built a plant in what was then the "heart of the West Side Polish district"

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2082
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found the new location of San Telmo in Sanborn, just have to get the time in Photoshop to work on it. They also moved to, or had another operation up in Bay City.

The only other cigar maker that I found west of Woodward is the Scotten-Dillon one on W Fort St. Been reading through all the index pages in the Sanborns.

I did look through the 1895 city directory, and found over a hundred small cigar makers, most of which I suspect were very small storefront, or custom type makers. I'm trying to narrow this down to only larger ones, since we have the best chance of digging up some info, maps, pics, and label/box info.

Mortalman

Post Number: 336
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Gene I'd like to hear why you are offended by the word Polack because that's what I am a Polack and I don't take offense to it. Now, this is a serious question on my part because by you saying what you said you are trying to affect the way others interact on this Forum. I will sit back and listen to what you have to say and consider it.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 315
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the location on W. Fort where they produced Yankee Girl Chewing Tobacco?

Mortalman

Post Number: 337
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yankee

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Mortalman I am proud of my Polish heritage. I consider the use of the word "polack" as an ethnic slur, and stand by my statement that this, or any other ethnic slur does not belong on this board.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The term "Polack" has been associated with stereotypical behavior in the past. I prefer Polish-American, but will answer to the Polack reference anyway.

I'd stay on topic, it's a lot more pleasant than fighting about BS. There's a place for this kind of discourse over in Non-Detroit.

Mortalman

Post Number: 338
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, Townonenorth, making a substantive contribution seems to be more productive to the topic than trying to figure out whose offending you and who isn't. I am not easily offended but I recognize the right of others to be as offended as they think they need to be. So, this Polack is going to get busy finding more interesting items to post on the Forums.

pc

And, that's the last thing I have to say about this subject!

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 316
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortalman; the clock you displayed is outstanding. Is there an interesting history behind it? What is with these folks getting on with "the Polack" word?

Stinger

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2084
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

San Telmo Eastside

San Telmo Westside

I have no idea what building that image on the cigar tin is supposed to represent. Maybe another one of those idealized postcard type images of the factory.

The founder of San Telmo, from The Detroiters, 1908:

ROSENBERGER, Oscar, cigar manufacturer; born, Bavaria, Germany, Mar. 8, 1874; son of Gottlieb and Rosa Rosenberger; educated in public schools of Germany; came to United States, 1903; married at Detroit, January, 1907, Miss Katherine Teichner. Became connected with Fred Rosenfeld & Co., Detroit, 1893; organized the San Telmo Cigar Manufacturing Co., 1898, and has since been its president and general manager. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Republican, Jewish religion. Scottish rite Mason (32o), Shriner.. Recreations: Outdoor sports and automobiling. Office: 540-550 Forest Av., E. Residence: 134 Lothrop Av.

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on September 25, 2008)