Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Bowling Alleys » Archive through September 21, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1990
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up at Fantasy, but would frequent all of the eastside one's within bike riding distance. There was one on Mack in GPW I think it was next to the Farmer Jack. Denby was probably the second one I frequented the second most.

I would spend a week during the summer at a cousins house in Redford Twp. they lived on Winston just 5 houses from the house on Plymouth-Brentwood Lanes. They (cousins)had a built in swimming pool, I was in heaven wherever I stayed over there.

(Message edited by zitro on September 19, 2008)

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 278
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I too remember Klee's being on McNichols (closer to Hoover than Gratiot,) so I was puzzled your matchbook with the Gratiot address. I had to call for some back up on this...My mother (league bowler at Ramona Lanes) remembers Klee's being a bar on Gratiot, with a few lanes in the basement. (Maybe that is why the matchbook says "bowling in connection.")"

Elimarr,
I mentioned in a previous post that Klee's was originally in the basement of Remer's Drug-Medical Supply Store. Ed Lubanski bought the place and then then had the "New Klee's" built on 6 Mile in the 60's. Actually, the "New Klee's" didn't have the greatest reputation among many because it wasn't kept up as well as it should have been despite Ed Lubanski owning it. Ramona was maintained well and made money while not having a bar for many years. The reason Ramona didn't have a bar for many years is because they had many Protestant church leagues and other groups that selected the place for that purpose.

(Message edited by Whithorn11446 on September 19, 2008)

(Message edited by Whithorn11446 on September 19, 2008)

Slick
Username: Slick

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If my memory is correct the Bowling lanes at Sherwood and 8 mile, NE corner was MOTOR LANES.
I am afraid the glory days of bowling like the glory days of Detroit are in the past and may never recover.
Bowling lanes as you all have mentioned were small 16 lanes house, owned by family proprieters.
They would take care of bowlers, buy drinks, keep the places clean etc. When the big corporations moved in they were run by managers who had no real authority. Leagues were forced to bowl long seasons, still do, beer prices sky rocketed. What used to be leagues at 6 and 9 pm. (never started at 9) are down to one league maybe. The yearbook was the size of the phone book, now it is half that size. oh my.

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slick,
Close enough for me...I'm glad a few others recall the existence of Motor Whatever bowling on 8 Mile & Sherwood. I don't even think I bowled there. The thing is, my friend lived on Concord a few houses off of 8 Mile. As teens, we went several times to buy some pizza by the slice there. What I really do remember were the death-defying runs across 8 Mile Road.

Mikefive,
I bet that Central City Lanes was the location I am thinking of (Woodward, near The Blvd.,) but the name doesn't really ring a bell. So I might have been there after a name change or something. The one I recall was pretty HUGE in comparison to many of the neighborhood alleys at the time (1970's.)

(Message edited by elimarr on September 19, 2008)

(Message edited by elimarr on September 19, 2008)

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the privilege of taking a Cass Tech phys ed course at the Garden Bowl at the Majestic. Second storey lanes.

Another second storey bowling alley was on West Warren near Oakman. There was "Pines" in the name. Maybe somebody could help me out. My piano teacher and I would would go for a beer and a couple of lines (not those) after a lesson.

I was bartending (a short-lived job)at the Thunderbowl when Nixon announced his resignation.

And we should not forget the venerable feather-bowling at the Cadieux Cafe.

Bowldetroit
Username: Bowldetroit

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pinetree maybe?

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bowled at Redford Recreation, Crown Lanes, Bowlerama, Grandmont, Ambassador, Brightmor recreation, Hawthorne Valley, Brentwood Lanes, Beech Lanes, Bowlcraft (Mike Totsky owned it)

Zitro

Post Number: 1996
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cadieux Cafe:

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 386
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brentwood Lanes... seems I 'member some bad rap about that place, warped lanes maybe?

Zitro

Post Number: 1999
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was the mid sixties, it was still taken pretty good care of then. My dad was a Detroit Fireman and I was over my cousins when the riots broke out. He was on call for over a week and I was "stuck" there, we were Eastsiders. So, it was pretty easy to remember where I was when that happened.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 272
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forget the question I axed, Bowldetroit! I forgot what I was going to ax you, now, anyway!!

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are a couple scans that I missed posting.

scan1

scan2

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7763
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole,

I Don't bowl at Bowlero lanes. Too much mom and pop. Yes Chuck Walby do owned not only Thunderbird Lanes in Troy but also Thunderbowl Lanes in Allen Park. It's the biggest bowling alley in the Tri-County Area with over 96 lanes. It's also home of the Detroit Bowling Hall of Fame and once 20 lanes Bowling Stadium where Bowling for Dollars was broadcast on Channel 7 in the 1950s.

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thunderbowl was not owned by Walby, It was owned by George Prybala and later by the Strobl's It has 94 lanes. Bowling For Dollars was on Channel 4 and was hosted by Bob Allison from the Thunderbowl Arena which is now some stupid color disco nightclub hangout. Walby owned Thunderbird in Troy and Thunderbird Fiesta in Westland, which was changed to Fiesta and now is owned by Steve Klein and is called Vision Lanes.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 4:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, care for a game at schaefer lanes?

Elimarr

Post Number: 85
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bowldetroit,
If you feel like clipping some more, can you post section J-M?

Mikefive
Username: Mikefive

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thunderbowl has 90 lanes now and with a comedy club.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 237
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone ever bowl at Yorba Linda out on Woodward in the burbs? Can't remember exactly where.

Lpg
Username: Lpg

Post Number: 72
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakwood Bluejackets-Oakwood Blvd.
Springwells Recreation
Penguin Bowling-Vernor Ave

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 595
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When i think of it Plymouth Rd west of Telegraph had a few alleys. Brentwood, Mayflower, Wonderland, Woodland, Plymouth TWSP, and in there also was Sabatinis? I belive. Funny seeing places you bowled at turn into Post offices, car washes, ice rinks. Ive been to Alberts on the Alley in G.C., NICE PLACE yet i miss the lanes.

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thunderbowl's ad from the net

Thunderbowl has 94 lanes, seven bars and 20 pool tables, making this alley Michigan's largest. The All-Star Arena is a venue built around comedy, and there's nightlife fun inside the Hall of Fame Lounge, a bar that showcases live bands on Thursday nights and dons a magnificent look of leopard print and retro cool. Thunderbowl also offers karaoke and dancing. Domestic bottles are $1.25 from 10 p.m. to midnight daily, and rock-n-bowl and cosmic bowling go off Friday and Saturday nights.

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livonia Lanes was on Plymouth Rd. Burned down and is now an Italian restaurant

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elimarr, here ya go

j-m

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 161
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ahh mercury lanes the only bowling alley left in east dearborn!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7764
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bowldetroit

Walby and Strobl worked out a connection relationship between their bowling alleys. The bowling signs Thunderbird and Thunderbowl are simular unless they went to a change of ownership years ago.

Zitro

Post Number: 2015
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro

Post Number: 2016
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro

Post Number: 2017
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of non bowlers would but their balls from Eastside:

Zitro

Post Number: 2018
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elimarr

Post Number: 86
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro,
What is the extent of your matchbook collection? Certain time period? Metro Detroit area only? Not meaning to stray from topic, but you seem to have quite a collection--just curious. Thanks for posting them. I remember East Side Sporting Goods well.