Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » ::: Detroit Mayor Election Mega Thread II ::: » Coleman Young II petitions to run for Detroit mayor « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 996
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG You knew it would happen sooner or later:
http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080929/NEWS01/ 80929075

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh dear lord. please no.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5613
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Palin is more qualified to be mayor but god forbid you tell that to the majority of voters in Detroit. God forbid you say anything to disrespect the former sandwich artist.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2645
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I hear of one more unqualified idiot running for mayor I might as well gather some petition signatures, lol.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 287
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any chance hes hoping to get elected soley so he can say hes the youngest mayor ever elected in detroit? he will be 3 or 4 years younger than that last guy hmmm, uh...dang! cant remember his name...

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2156
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if this fellow gets elected, it could be the straw that breaks the camels back for the city of Detroit.

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 278
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If he even makes the primary, I'm gonna have to GIVE my house away but it'll be time to go...

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7788
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit doesn't need another Coleman Young. He's haven't keeping up with city issues.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If he actually runs, he can legitimately be referred to as "That Little Bastard".

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 350
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's young, intelligent, and he is concerned with issues in Detroit. I for one, see nothing wrong. I rather him than the person who:
Only got to be Council President because the former Council President died; only got to be mayor because the mayor was charged, convicted and arraigned of a crime and decided to quit.

Maybe CAY jr won't win this time, but somewhere in future he just may.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2158
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joel Loving is his real name

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2353
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A guy who changes his name to get elected. Weak.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1924
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've met him and talked with him on a few occasions. Despite his young age he could be a viable candidate. He really seems to care, I would hope he could get some more experience before he would run for an executive position however.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Considering that if he doesn't stay elected he goes back to Subway, he better care!

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1428
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he cares for the city, true...but we need more than affection for the city.

okay...so let's anoint a DYser for our candidate and city council too

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah shit!

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's a nice enough guy. Completely inexperienced. We went down that road before last administration and that didn't work out so well.

We don't need a first term state legislator and before that sandwich engineer at subway to deal with the complex issues of the city. Mayor is a job not for a 24-year old. He simply doesn't have enough life experience to do the job.

(Message edited by digitalvision on September 29, 2008)

Haikoont
Username: Haikoont

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If I hear of one more unqualified idiot running for mayor I might as well gather some petition signatures, lol.

Legally change your first name to Mayor and you're a lock Sekou. It's a proven strategy. Just ask Reverend David Murray.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 633
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's very young--too young and inexperienced. Normally, I would say he's running for name recognition, but that isn't the case here.

There's much to be said for experience.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 634
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interestingly enough, the "ClickonDetroit" site is referring to him as "Jr." That's incorrect. He's the II.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 219
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Master Alonzo Bates has the inside track on the next mayoral gig.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14320
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would SO much rather have a Mayor Loving in this town...maybe he can change his name BACK after he's voted in?

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the people of Detroit toss away Cockrel, Bing and the other qualified candidates and elect this bozo, they richly deserve the terrible fate that will befall them.

Duke_sims
Username: Duke_sims

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear William Hart Jr. is looking for a job. Maybe he can be mayor.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 297
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"if this fellow gets elected, it could be the straw that breaks the camels back for the city of Detroit."

And we have the number one reason we are holding of on moving to Detroit. We're willing to move up there and jump in the trenches to do what ever we are called on to do. But if the citizens vote another idiot in office they will have shot themselves in the foot and no amount of help from anywhere will be of any good.

Jtf1972
Username: Jtf1972

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there time to change my name to Barack Obama and run?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6300
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone is freaking out, and for what reason? This was the same kind of over-dramatics witnessed in the thread of McPhail pulling papers to run. There is absolutely nothing, at the moment, that hints at either of these two being top-tier contenders in this race, yet everyone's making Joel out to be an instant front-runner. Can we cut the fauxtrage, for once?

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 6:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Considering that people elected Monica Conyers to council, just because of her last name, and Martha Reeves, cuz they remember how they used to dance to her music, and also elected Kwame twice, because of his last name - oh, and because he looked like Gerald Levert and women thought he was sexy (gag)....yeah, I'd say it was time to hit the panic button!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7790
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coleman Young II will tell all the squatters to hit 8 Mile Rd. and living with the suburbanites.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The top-tiers are going to need to get involved in areas they might not be so comfortable in if he starts to poll strongly. If he's sitting in the under 10-percent range, they don't need to worry about him.

Young II has the potential to have the same ability that Kilpatrick did with young people, if he can get the operations together. The big difference is that Kilpatrick sold out to the business interests to get the money to make those things happen. This time around, Bing has that money locked up except for those who bet the hedge, and that's not happening until after the primary.

But yes, as Chrissy said, Detroit has a piss-poor record of voting on issues or positions. Which means it's time for candidates to start spending the dough.

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 436
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has he ever explained publicly why he changed his name?

I'm all for someone changing their last name to their birth fathers, but changing your first and middle name is obviously a ploy to get elected. What's wrong with Joel Young?

That really irks me. What makes him even remotely qualified? It's not like he even spent that much time with his Dad, right? He was in Florida??

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, the mere act of pulling petitions is a long way from achieving success in the election. But the fact that Mr. Young would even take this step speaks volumes about him. It speaks to a disrespect of Detroit voters by virtue of a nakedly cynical attempt to take advantage of a vote based on pure name recognition rather than professional accomplishment. It also speaks to a dangerous level of personal hubris when any 25 year old suggests that he has the necessary experience and judgment to be the chief executive of the 11th largest city in the country.

Disrespect, hubris, lack of judgment . . . Hasn't our city suffered enough in the last seven years from these kinds of leadership "qualities?"

If Mr. Young actually does file to run for mayor and then loses, hopefully a viable candidate will emerge from his legislative district to take advantage of such a selfish blunder and expose and unseat him in 2010.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 307
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Has he ever explained publicly why he changed his name?

I'm all for someone changing their last name to their birth fathers, but changing your first and middle name is obviously a ploy to get elected. What's wrong with Joel Young?

According to Wikipedia (yes, I know, Wikipedia cannot always be counted on for accuracy), Coleman Young changed his son's name after the paternity test: "Young went to court and changed his son's birth certificate to legally match the name on his son's baptismal record to Coleman Young, Jr., who was then known as Joel Loving."

quote:

If he actually runs, he can legitimately be referred to as "That Little Bastard".

Sludgedaddy, that's kind of tacky.

I'm not a supporter of his candidacy, just trying to be fair.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Name recognition is the name of the game. If enough people split the vote, he may get in with say 25% of the vote. Bing, Cockrel, McFail etc can divide up enough people that the old name Coleman Young rings a bell and they say "What the hell he was a good mayor" and vote for the kid.
Remember, this is Detroit where weird things happen.

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 297
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, that's not how I remember it, Downtown Lady. It was a while ago, but I could have SWORN I read that JOEL petitioned the court to change his name, and I "think" it was after CAY passed. That wiki could have been put there on purpose - does it have an edit date? Wouldn't be surprised if he updated it after reading people critical of it here.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 603
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There oughta be an IQ/civics/current events test to vote.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7333
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, I hate to burst your bubble...

But how do you think Kenneth Cockrel Jr., Sheila Cockrel, Monica Conyers, and Martha Reeves EVER got elected in the first place in Detroit... NAME RECOGNITION!!

Do you think that Joel Loving would have gotten elected to the state legislature under that name... hardly. In Detroit politics (as elsewhere) it's all about... NAME RECOGNITION!

With 6 or 7 well known people in the primary, the votes will get quite divided up among the contenders. Although I doubt it, it's not inconceivable that he could end up as one of the top 2 vote getters?

Never underestimate the power of name recognition among the Detroit electorate...

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 998
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He changed his hame himself, as an adult. He was six when paternity was proven. He was 14 was CAY died. He was "survived by one son, Joel Loving." Daddy didn't change it upon proof of paternity.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 241
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article I got in my inbox is slightly different from the one posted above.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080930/NEW S01/809300349/1001/NLETTER09&s ource=nletter-news

"After growing up in California, Young moved to Detroit in 2005."

Does that mean he didn't move from California until 2005? And NOW he's a state rep?

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 298
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, see, I did a few searches and every article I've found refers to Loving as being the one that changed his name AFTER CAY's death, which is what I remember.

Here's one, from CNN, that still refers to him as Loving, and he was then 14.
http://www.cnn.com/US/9711/29/ young.obit.pm/

Here's another:
http://www.wilx.com/news/headl ines/2396396.html

Looks like the CAY II spin doctors are already at work cleaning up his image online, LOL, starting with the Wiki page! Too bad, we have memories like elephants - and the internet doesn't forget!

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3462
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To the Detroit YES Supreme Being(s)

Can we have a Super thread for the Mayoral election(s), Please....?

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 308
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Chrissy and Washman for the correction! Yes, the spin doctors may be at work on Wikipedia. That will teach me not to trust what I read there!!

Here's that link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C oleman_Young

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep...he just moved here in 05, entered as a student at WSU, ran for his seat in 06 (I want to say unopposed too) and won (or will win) his seat again in 08 - unopposed for sure

what a farce...again, if Detroiters elect him for anything they are complete fools.

you should at least have a degree or 15 yrs work experience to run for mayor

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 242
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"you should at least have a degree or 15 yrs work experience to run for mayor."

I would assume you'd need at least that to be a state rep. Holy hell.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 6303
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If he makes it even third in the primaries, I'll eat my hat. I know about name recognition and Detroit, but this isn't the city council or some congressional district. Contrary to popular belief you have to have to actually have some major talent to win the mayor's office in Detroit.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7339
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL... you're right Lmichigan. Unfortunately KK had major talents that the Feds are still looking into...

Three of his less than stellar talents appears to have been "sponging" (off the rich), "siphoning" (off the city contractors), and "splurging" (off of his non-profit organizations)...

(Message edited by Gistok on October 01, 2008)

Lmichigan

Post Number: 6308
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, spinning a web of corruption, unfortunately, is considered a political talent. Just ask folks like Ted Stevens.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 637
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to young Young...I wonder why Coleman Young never adopted him or married the child's mother.

Also, so he worked at Subway...he held a job. I'm not in favor of his running for office, but there are worse things a person can do than work at Subway. Look at most of KK's pack.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 639
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rid, with all due respect, you've been holding off moving to Detroit for one reason or another. Either shit or get off the pot.

Move to Detroit and make a difference, Man. We need you.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no way CAY2 will beat out Cockrel, Bing, or Hendrix for mayor. He doesn't have the money, the contacts, the experience, or the base that the others do.

CAY2 has no chance to win the special mayoral election, but this is a good way for him to start building experience and support for future city-wide elections.

If CAY2 manages to get his name on the ballot, I doubt he could finish any higher than 4th. However, this would establish him as a serious candidate for a city council seat in the November general election.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 3091
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is too young. He's only 25! He doesn't even have experience and networking contacts yet.