Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Joel Thurtell v. Matty Moroun (wrong guy wins) » Archive through September 26, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1915
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, all are welcomed, bring extra gloves if you can.

Starting Line-up:
UrbanOutdoors
Gannon
Soulhawk
Gnome

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am spreading the word. Maybe troy, cub, curly and other dyesers would like to lend their skills?

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 222
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have any skills, but I'll be there (Lord willing).

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I may have talked curly into it...

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 905
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, if I wasn't taking my dad to chemo that day, I'd be there.

This article just went and pissed me off. I love bridges, and the Ambassador was next on my list to go get some pics of. Funny, you can walk right under the Blue Water Bridge. The Mackinac too. I took pics of both from right underneath; some stunning pics, imo, that really show just what incredible structures they really are. I didn't have a single problem, not from homeland security or a police officer or a rent-a-cop. Didn't even see a sign prohibiting photography, never mind actual passage underneath or even too close. Both are public parks, and no one seems to think it's necessary to close those off to the public. What the hell gives Matty the right to unilaterally decide to close a public park?

Okay, blood pressure spiking... There's just too many parts of this that piss me off, and I haven't even gotten to him being a greedy SOB.

Best of luck to you guys playing softball, may the best team win. :-)

Guideboat
Username: Guideboat

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No offense to this blog or this forum, but this needs to be picked up by a major media outlet. This story needs one of those screaming "investigative reporters" to get this in front of people on the TV.

Right now I fear the oligarchs more than the terrorists. Plus, he painted the bridge a hideous color. Bring back basic black.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So questions do we contact the city and get permission for cameras and to play a softball game or should this be more of a spur renegade act?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14182
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now why would we need permission for any of that, Urban?

We are not renegades, we just want to play ONE MORE GAME this year!

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just fyi, someone on the blog posted that an actual homeland security did come out and looked up his name. But nothing more than that. The details were a little fuzzy

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 637
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This just in: Part Deux of this saga is on Joel's blog today, focusing on the unjustly padlocked boat launch at Riverside Park.
x
Excerpt:
quote:

I understand city lawyers are thinking of suing Moroun to open the park and put that boat ramp back into operation.

Well, maybe sue him for damages, sure. Sue him to pay for repairing the park and replacing basketball courts and other equipment he trampled on.

But wait a minute — sue him to take back the city’s own park? Come on!

Did Matty sue the city to steal the park? Hell, no.

Why go to court? Give Matty the bum’s rush: Send a city work crew with bulldozers and dump trucks to tear down the fences and clear out the construction crap. Assign a couple dozen Special Weapons And Tactics cops with heavy artillery to guard the workers. Open up the boat ramp and invite people to bring their boats.

And oh yes, one more important thing:

While we express outrage and discuss Game Day tactics, seems worth noting that blogger whose civic-mindedness and journalistic standards has inspired all this welcomes PayPal gestures of appreciation in his e-tip jar.

Well-deserved, I daresay. Link at Joel On The Road.

Realitycheck

Post Number: 639
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

x
"My bridge, my park, my boat ramp, my moat . . . er, river."

Gnome

Post Number: 1919
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

matty

Just as I suspected.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3312
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He must have forgotten to shave them down that day. They grow back fast. :-)

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 334
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK Gnome your on. Residents of SW Detroit are ready to "play" some softball. see you there 10/01 4pm.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14194
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just realized I have an appointment at two in W. Bloomfield that day, so I will be slightly late.

Just got off the phone with my client, it is inflexible.

I'll be ready to jump in as pinch batter or runner...heh.

Cheers

Gnome

Post Number: 1920
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Starting Line-up:
Masterblaster
Homer
UrbanOutdoors
Gannon
Soulhawk
Gnome

You bringing some ringers Homer?

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 923
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count me in. I am looking forward to playing as I haven't been on the field for a couple of years and this will be fun.

I just love baseball!

Melocoton
Username: Melocoton

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love softball with a purpose! I'll be there.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like we will have us a softball game, hell yes! LOL!

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 233
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in.

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whatever happened to the "cleaning" of the michigan central station that was supposed to take place?

after the softball game, everyone should meet up at roosevelt park, walk through one of the holes in the fence at the MCS and start a symbolic scrubbing of the outside of that shameful piece of moroun's real estate portfolio.

it would be great to contrast his neglect of the station with how assertive he has been with squatting on city property---when's the last time he paid for security at the MCS?

Gnome

Post Number: 1922
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Starting Line-up:
Mortgageking
Melocoton
PlymouthRes
Masterblaster
Homer
UrbanOutdoors
Gannon
Soulhawk
Gnome

Did I see you raise your hand WOOD?

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be more interested in doing the cleanup. I've already had a run in with matty's goons down at the park.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do you gotta do this on a Wednesday. If you did it on a weekend I am sure more people would show up. I know I would.

Gnome

Post Number: 1923
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Press coverage. We're working on getting broadcast and print coverage.

True Gumby, a weekend would be better for people to show, but as you must be aware, being flexible makes you popular.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 219
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Manny Maroun, Kwame Kilpatrick, Monica Conyers, Sharon McPhail..........does Detroit have more than it's fair share of whackos?

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you forgot Mike Ilitch....

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 729
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, what the hell..count me in. It's only been about thirty years since I played any ball, but WTF..
:-)

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6725
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scottr:
quote:

I love bridges, and the Ambassador was next on my list to go get some pics of.

Come to Windsor. I've never been hassled on this side for taking photos, you can even walk under it on this side. Our public park is still wide open...

Realitycheck

Post Number: 640
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our inspiration, Joel Thurtell, loaded his third post in three days on this topic today at joelontheroad.com.

He mentions the softball game and notes this his first post Wednesday on "this self-proclaimed Caesar" drew a record number of hits . . . which he rightly concludes "shows a widespread revulsion for this man who puts his own financial interests over everything, including the law." More:
quote:

Even without the surge in interest . . . I’d be looking more closely at this wealthy man who seems to have created his own parallel reality.

It’s an alternate universe where Matty Moroun makes the law or breaks the law and does what he wants.

Joel mentions the bridge company's documented violations of bans on hazmat cargo and the 2004 Forbes mag expose that has been flagged on this forum in the past.

This saga clearly continues. Next Wednesday should give it longer legs. (Great work, Coach Gannon.)

(Message edited by RealityCheck on September 26, 2008)