Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » ::: Detroit Mayor Election Mega Thread II ::: » Will KC Jr. be elected? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 7746
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what are the odds? I say 3 to one that he becomes permanent mayor

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14349
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is tilting the odds in his favor with every key appointment...it was just amazing to listen to Joe Harris on the radio a moment ago.

The momentum is building, existing Kwhyme associates within city government at all levels should be shaking in their very expensive shoes.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 677
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't it be nice if the legitimate candidates would agree to sit the special election out and just wait for the normal election? Every one of them claims to have the best interest of the city at heart... so why not let KC do some damage control for the next few months instead of having to run for mayor?

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 638
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few months ago I fell in love with the idea of Bing for mayor. Not any longer. He really needs to sit back and support Cockrel.

If he really does run, I'll lose a lot of respect for Mr. Bing. This could be a time when the city could heal. As it is, Mr. Bing could cause another leech's election to Mayor.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 300
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could be happy with Cockrel or Bing. I will most likely vote for Cockrel. He is looking pretty good at the moment.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3662
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lodgedodger, I don't mind if Bing is elected. Who says he's going to disrupt what Cockrel put in place? Besides, I think the city needs a local businessman with political power (IMO)

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 642
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps, but why break the good run? I don't want Bing to be the "spoiler" enabling someone like McPhail to win, or Coleman the Younger.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with what Jim Johnson said to Rochelle Riley on WCSX just after KC Jr took office: his most effective campaign statement will be to accomplish something.

Having seen the first several days of his administration and the appointments he's made, I am favorably impressed. I would not bet against him at this point, and may throw some financial support to him. Nothing against Dave Bing or anyone else who may decide to run, but if he's able to prove he can do the job well and with integrity, I say keep him.

Happy to see so much similar sentiment so far in this thread, and thanks to Rb336 for starting it.

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 268
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope KCJr does well.

I think it is BEYOND APPALLING that Sharon McPhail would even consider running for mayor.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to be a Bing man, but now i'm on the fence. First election EVER (especially in Detroit) where I'll have to really REALLY think about it.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 791
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think that Bing would be a bad mayor, but if he does become mayor, we lose him in a different role. While it is important for the city to have strong, stable leadership in the mayor's office in order to right the ship, however, even the most effective mayor cannot achieve all he/she wants without the help of civic minded leaders within the business community.

If Bing becomes mayor, he becomes a politician and is no longer a part of that business community. My hope is that Cockrel rises to the occasion and is a solid, effective, steady mayor who proves capable of the position. That way Bing can stay and work within his current, and equally important, role as a leader within the local business community.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 406
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So far KC Jr. is making some excellent choices.
I happen to think Joe Harris is an outstanding choice. He is knowledgable and has integrity.
something that is much needed right now.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5303
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the plus side, if Bing were to become Mayor then Cockrel returns to the City Council Presidency...imagine having stable, competent leaders in both positions at the same time.

Haikoont
Username: Haikoont

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

On the plus side, if Bing were to become Mayor then Cockrel returns to the City Council Presidency.

I don't know. If Bing wins in the spring, Cockrel will go back to the City Council. But there is another election a few months later and I would suspect that -- win or lose in the spring -- Cockrel will run for mayor rather than Council in that election. Then, unless the Feds intervene someone like Conyers or Collins might be become president. Ugh!