Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » :::Tiger Stadium: Memories, Demolition & Saving Part of It::: » 200,000 by oct 8 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20081001/NEW S01/81001108

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"But the Harwell foundation will no longer be providing the $500,000 it raised toward the stadium preservation project because the DEGC rejected the idea of a more limited project that would cost $4 million instead of $15 million. The less expensive project would have kept the playing field and built a new structure to house Harwell’s baseball memorabilia collection, Spicer said.

The more expensive project calls for renovating the dugouts and bleacher areas behind them and creating a welcome center for the city’s Corktown neighborhood where the stadium sits."

I'm sorry but I thought the whole "Savetigerstadium.org" plan was to renovate the field and stands from dugout to dugout. That's why I sent a decent contribution. Now it seems as if some simply wanted to keep the field and build a museum honoring Ernie???

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fortunately that was not the plan that was approved. Unfortunately if you gave money to harwell it will now be refunded and you will have to give it directly to the conservancy they should give each donor the option of which they would like to do. I am sure enough of them would give that the additional 100,000 would be met no problem.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 261
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ernie's out as director. This thing is done.

Breaks my heart to say this but....Tear that schitt down.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2337
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so my take away from that is that it's apparently all about ernie? no ernie plan, no ernie money?

time to rally the folks and get some donations flowing to www.savetigerstadium.org

rickinatlanta: the plan that was selected is the plan that will retain the navin field configuration of the stadium, and that is the plan that you donated money to through savetigerstadium.org. harwell's plan was much smaller scope and upon selection of the other, grander plan, he apparently pulled the monetary support he worked up

(Message edited by gravitymachine on October 02, 2008)

(Message edited by gravitymachine on October 02, 2008)

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 312
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many of the former Tiger players have contributed to the preservation efforts? I haven't heard anything about contributions made by any of the former professional Tiger players. Are all of them just plain ole middle-class retirees now?

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to understand that my money was donated to the better of the two plans. Saving the Navin configuration will give visitors the "feel" for the uniqueness of the old stadium. I'm disappointed that Ernie's group apparently won't support the plan that makes more sense from an historical standpoint.

I'd be curious as well as to what involvement the former Tiger's have in saving the park.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 793
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel the same way. If a portion of the stadium can't be saved, I'm not sure I see much benefit in a new building and the field. It would be better to clear the entire block for a future development. I'm sure that Ernie felt he saw the writing on the wall, that 15 million would never be raised and his lesser proposal, requiring about 4 million, was more realistic.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 264
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catman: if you're talking about the players from the 60s' etc. they really didn't make anywhere near the money that today's players are making. Most of the players back then got a second job in the winter. Furthermore, for most part, their only memories of Tiger Stadium are playing there, since they are not from here originally.

Off the top of my head, I can only think of a handful of Tigers who are native Michiganians (I hate "Michiganders"): Mickey Lolich, Willie Horton, Gates Brown (was he a native of Mich?) Kirk Gibson and for a while, Frank Tanana.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 313
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you ever get the feeling that the idea of saving a portion of Tiger Stadium has less enthusiastic support now that people are used to the fact that most of the stadium is irreversibly gone? With our current economic and financial climate, I get the feeling people are tired of striving to get a portion of the stadium preserved.

Magic_mushroom
Username: Magic_mushroom

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's it folks. It's over. May she rest in peace.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 284
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Off the top of my head, I can only think of a handful of Tigers who are native Michiganians (I hate "Michiganders"): Mickey Lolich, Willie Horton, Gates Brown (was he a native of Mich?) Kirk Gibson and for a while, Frank Tanana."

Mickey Lolich is originally from Portland, Oregon. Gates Brown was from Ohio but still lives in Detroit. Frank Tanana is from Southwest Detroit and more specifically Dayton St. (McGraw just east of Wyoming)

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 179
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't care where the former Tigers are from, they could certainly do some sort of autograph day fundraiser with all proceeds going to save this part of the stadium where they made their living.
Not expecting the 68 Tigers to give five figures but at least use their celebrity to help the cause!

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 285
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Now it seems as if some simply wanted to keep the field and build a museum honoring Ernie???"

The comment about a museum honoring Ernie is a little bit of a cheap shot. Have you ever seen Ernie's collection at the Detroit Public Library ? A 1959 All Star Game program honors Ernie or the letters of former Tiger owner Frank Navin ? The collection isn't really about Ernie's career for the most part.

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 180
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NOT a cheap shot at all just an objective comment. I've seen his collection and have had the honor of meeting Ernie at the 2002 Tiger's Fantasy Camp that I participated in and the pleasure of talking with him at length about his time spent in Georgia.

I think the question many are asking is why wasn't the money raised for the field/Harwell plan offered to the greater plan to also save the Navin configuration?