Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Eagle Tobacco Wks. » Archive through September 28, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 343
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, those are great additions to this thread with background information that makes the items mean something and come to life. That’s the spirit! And, I appreciate your hard work on those Sanborn Maps because I know how much work those things take to get them ready to post in the clean and animated way you’ve put them together with colors.

Hell if I know, Stringer4me! Some people just need to be the victim all the time instead of contributing to the topic at hand.

The clock is a great clock that my cousin has. He collects tobacco related items and has it in his basement that I helped him finish in Hamtown. It’s our great aunt that worked at the Cigar factory somewhere on Carpenter but we can’t figure out where it was or what its name was.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 194
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

San Telmo building shows up in the 1946 Edison Aerial Photos as below:

San-Telmo-1946.jpg

It appears that the warehouse structures had been torn down. It looks as if it is quite tall, by the shadow it's casting. Pretty similar in nature to your postcard, I think.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2085
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for looking through the Edison aerials, saves me the trouble of looking. Need more cigar ephemera; there's tons of it for sale on the net, just a lot of slogging involved sifting for Detroit makers, but a lot of leads can be found with it. There's also lots of hits in Google books for "Detroit + cigars", the Michigan labor stats look interesting.

That warehouse is attached to the building marked vacant. Something in my memory suggests that it might have been a school, and part of it was used to store tobacco. Maybe something in the Early Polish thread that I forgot about.

At least one of my great aunts worked in the cigar factories down in Poletown, probably walked from Hamtramack, because the Baker Line streetcar was too expensive.

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on September 25, 2008)

Mortalman

Post Number: 344
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Encyclopedia Britannica:

What is snuff? Preparation of tobacco used by inhalation or by dipping—that is, rubbing on the teeth and gums. Manufacture involves grinding the tobacco and subjecting it to repeated fermentations. Snuffs may be scented with attar of roses, lavender, cloves, jasmine, etc.

The practice of inhaling snuff became popular in England around the 17th century; during the 18th century…

Townonenorth

Post Number: 195
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I;m glad to help with the Edison photos, but only on the near east side on a consistent basis. I get lost beyond a certain point, and can't recognize the streets. I'll make an effort for that west side San Telmo, but no promises.

My grandfather as well as I both dipped snuff, him more than me. His poison of choice was Copenhagen. Nasty, vile habit. He had a huge white beard, with the front of it dyed brown from the spitting into the can.

I only used it to attempt to quit smoking. That doesn't work, by the way.

Mortalman

Post Number: 345
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an interesting little tidbit from Early POlish Community of Detroit:

My maternal great great grandfather, Jan Kreft, arrived in the USA on the SS Trieve from Lidsbark, Poland/Germany in 1885. He brought with him his wife, Anna Czappa, and all of his children. He was, by trade, a carpenter/artisan. He resided on St. Joseph St., Detroit, Michigan. As simple a life as this man led, he left behind a history for Polish Detroit. He carved the alters in St. Albertus, Sweetest Heart of Mary and St. Hyacinth. He was a pius man who raised kind children. During Easter services at St. Hyacinth, he slipped on the steps of the church. He managed to make it home but was found dead in the bathroom by his wife in 1915. He is buried in our family plot at Mt. Olivet. This family has connections through marriage to the Goike's (Goike's Kashub Snuff), Budnik's, Malinowski's, Ponke's, Kabala's, Biegalski's, Chojnacki's, Zientarski's, Alandt's, Mack's, Deurweke's, Winstanley's, Tusch, Markowski's, Ostrowski's, Valenti's, Priebe's. Smaller connections to the Ford family, Zynda's, Kulwicki's (funeral home family), Calcaterra's.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

West side San Telmo, at least it looks like it. Even has the funny shaped corner if you follow the 35th street down past it.
0%2C-9.71135100968435,http://m aps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en& geocode=&q=3500+Michigan+Avenu e+Detroit+MI&sll=42.363396,-83 .04353&sspn=0.005739,0.013304& layer=c&ie=UTF8&ll=42.33853,-8 3.110929&spn=0.011483,0.026608 &z=15&cbll=42.331161,-83.11286 9&panoid=684CohLJZ98LjbjKejTYY Q&cbp=2,319.74335309460065,,0, -9.71135100968435

Mortalman

Post Number: 346
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a real gem:

goike stuff bottle

Townonenorth

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that's the stuff! Packaging looks right although not exactly as I remember. Orange lettering though. And the script style is the same as I remember it.

Must have been made when Stewart Goike's father (I'm assuming) John ran the company? That must have been him that showed my friend and I inside it so many years ago.

Mortalman

Post Number: 348
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Inside what, Townonenorth? Did I miss something?

Townonenorth

Post Number: 198
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Inside what, Townonenorth? Did I miss something?

Obviously.

From the beginning I've been saying that I was in the building that Goike Snuff was in. Read back through all these posts. How do you think that I can be so dead certain where it was?

It was covered in the brown powdered snuff. What looked like a hopper, boxes and bottles, packaging, small space. Maybe a conveyor belt, but I was only in for a while, and it was 37+ years ago.

I never thought then that I would be talking about that experience, especially online. It did stick in my memory, just as an unusual experience.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2086
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Mazer Cigar Co (later Mazer-Cressman),5031 Grandy & Theodore

Mazer Cigar Co.

Henry Mazer entry in Burton's book, on Google Books.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 199
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Townonenorth

Post Number: 200
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 435
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anything on the Garland Cigar Company? My grand uncle worked there as Treasurer from 1920-23. Have some fond memories of him. Heard he really knew his tobacco and he always rolled his own.

Another grand uncle was vice-president there about the same time, but unfortunately, don't recall meeting him.

Haven't found anything on google or in the google books. Thanks.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 203
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you happen to have a name for these guys? Did they live in Detroit?

I've looked too, found nothing on this Garland Company.

Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 436
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grand uncles would be Walter and John Yagley. They are listed in the phone directory in the early 20s. The company would have been located on 1014 Frederick Avenue, which is now the Chrysler Freeway. I heard that they went out of business in 1924 or 25. Haven't found anything other than that. Obviously, it was a small mom & pop brand so doubt there is much out there.

Also before managing Garland, they worked at Wayne Cigar which from the references I've found online sounds like it was a major company in Detroit.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2087
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 1921 Sanborn map shows only the typical houses for that neighborhood at 1014 Frederick. That's not to say that there wasn't a small cigar maker located there, just not marked as such. You could easily have a dozen or more women rolling cigars in a two story house.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found John in 1920 census on 1014 Frederick, looks as if it's a 3 family building, listed 3 separate heads of household. He's 28 or 24 years of age, and he's a foreman in a cigar factory.

Walter in 1920 was living with a Pauline Yagley. He's not in cigars then. Worked in an auto factory. He's younger than John

Townonenorth

Post Number: 205
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also found this in the cigar maker's journal on Google. 1902:
quote:

Approved the application of Union 22, Detroit, Mich., to place a fine of $25 against John Yagley (62575) for accepting foremanship at Alex. Gordon's cigar factory, closed to union members

Probably your John's father?

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2088
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hiawatha Tobacco Factory of Daniel Scotten & Company, established in 1856, under the name of Scot-
ten, Granger, & Lovett, is now located on the corner of Fort and Campau Streets, in Springwells. The firm is composed of Daniel and Oren Scotten. They manufacture plug, chewing, and smoking tobacco.
Their leading brand of plug and fine-cut tobacco is Hiawatha; other brands of fine-cut are Harmony, Progress, Tulip, Federal, and Herald. Among their brands of smoking tobacco are Calumet, Maud S., Telephone, Enoch Arden, Leghorn, National Pride, Silk Plush, and Honey Dew. In 1883 the firm manufactured 2,011,280 pounds. Shipments are made to London, England, to Honolulu, and to points as far east as Boston, as far west as Portland, and south to Richmond,Va., and Winston, N, C.

History of Detroit and Wayne County and Early Michigan
By Silas Farmer 1890

Oren Scotten

Scotten-Dillon Tobacco Co, W Fort St

DetNews photo

4097 W. Fort St

Scotten-Dillon Tobacco Co, W Fort St

This map is too damn big to do any enhancement to it. Pretty much anything that isn't a house is part of Scotten-Dillon.

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on September 26, 2008)

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2089
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scotten-Dillon 4097 W Fort St

I lied, just decided to enlarge the front half, since most of the rest seems to be warehouses.

Mortalman

Post Number: 352
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Up in smoke: Cigar making in Detroit"

An interesting read:

http://info.detnews.com/redesi gn/history/story/historytempla te.cfm?id=24

Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 437
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Townonenorth & Hornwrecker thanks for following up on that lead. I'll have to get more info to sort out what you've found.

Really appreciate this thread. Knew about the Detroit's prominent stove industry simply because of that giant stove in the fairgrounds, but never realized the city had such a significant cigar industry. Thanks.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 207
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's Goike snuff. Never knew that there was also a facility next door. Don't know if it's the same company or not.

Goike Snuff

Townonenorth

Post Number: 211
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, what you had said about the San Telmo building being something else was dead on. I went back a little and located a Sanborn from 1897.

St Cyril and Methodius Polish Seminary was the building closest to St. Aubin, just added on later. Compare with Hornwrecker's above post, the steps are the same location, and the sleeping rooms have been removed.

Hornwrecker, I'm trying to copy your style on the Sanborn colorizing for continuity, just not as successfuly or skillfully done.

St Cyril and Methodius Seminary 1897

(Message edited by townonenorth on September 27, 2008)

(Message edited by townonenorth on September 27, 2008)

Mortalman

Post Number: 355
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taken from The Detroit Free Press, Sunday, June 3, 1906, Part 4, Page 7, 5th Column, 7th Paragraph. The substance of the paragraph is the wages the women earned working in the cigar factories: "The five girls make $18 a week, each, in the cigar factories."

cig wages

(Message edited by mortalman on September 28, 2008)

Mortalman

Post Number: 356
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taken from The Detroit Free Press, Sunday, June 3, 1906, Part 4, Page 7, 7th Column, 1st Paragraph. The substance of the paragraph is the power of snuff: "My godfather is a smart man. I will tell you how he got me my job. You must not tell anyone. He gave the foreman a pinch of snuff, which is equal to a fine treat."

snuff power

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2090
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Townonenorth, now I remember it. I posted that map in the Early Polish HOF thread. I've done so many of them, and must have looked at almost all of the map sheets, so everything is a blur. If there was a DYes back then, there would have been a thread bitching about how they're abandoning the city for the wilds of Orchard Lake.

Those colors seem to work best for viewing building outlines on the net. I've experimented with other colors and styles, but this is the easiest to view and to make. Gifs come across cleaner than jpegs, which puts some artifacts into the white spaces.

American Cigar Co. map coming soon. Can't find anything more than the where and when of them; no labels or brands.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 221
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll have to remember the GIF format if I ever do any more of the Sanborns. The white artifact in the Seminary building was my error, didn't colorize with the bucket, just used the selection.