Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Joel Thurtell v. Matty Moroun (wrong guy wins) » Archive through October 02, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14323
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, sure thing Reality. I'm not kidding, that is a great idea...man's gotta eat, right?

Wouldn't THAT be a stick in Matty's craw...inadvertently, HE'D then be paying Joel!

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 821
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 734
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gnome, talked to my niece Brandy, she's in as well. Looking forward to a horribly sloppy & amateurish ballgame tomorrow..
:-)
Now wth did I do with my bat?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1948
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Starting Line-up:
CUB,
Brandi,
ZRXDoug
Curly98
Mortgageking
Melocoton
PlymouthRes
Masterblaster
Homer
UrbanOutdoors
Gannon
Soulhawk
Gnome

(Message edited by gnome on September 30, 2008)

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 376
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that this makes me look like a chump , but I've got to back out. I really want to be there, but other obligations will prohibit me from being able to attend. I am sorry, and I wish all the best to the Dyes civil disobedience!

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 645
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The beat goes on with a Game Day report by Curt Guyette in Metro Times News Hits.
quote:

. . . this is about more than some little park. It is about the power wielded by one of this area's most politically influential moguls, and it is about the disturbing trend toward curtailing civil liberties that's gone on in this country since the terrorist attacks of 9/11.

Moroun and his minions have tried before using the argument that his company, controlling as it does a crucial border crossing, is an instrument of the federal government and, as such, doesn't have to abide by nit-picky things like, say, local zoning ordinances.

And oh yes, the regional U.S. Customs and Border Protection spokesman in Detroit told Guyette:
quote:

"There's no connection between the fence being put up at that park and the Department of Homeland Security."

Gnome

Post Number: 1950
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RAIN OR SHINE,

Starting Line-up:
CUB,
Brandi,
ZRXDoug
Curly98
Mortgageking
Melocoton
PlymouthRes
Masterblaster
Homer
UrbanOutdoors
Gannon

Soulhawk, attending in his heart
Gnome

Friends, the plan is to meet up at River Side Park, located on the foot of West Grand Blvd at Fort street.

Time: 4:15 PM
Game Time: 5PM

Skill level no barrier to playing. If you can't play, come and cheer. Or better yet bring a camera and some BenGay.

I found an old catchers mit and will bring it along.

(Message edited by gnome on October 01, 2008)

Gannon

Post Number: 14339
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soulhawk,

You're not the only chump, then.

I was going to be late anyways, but now may miss it entirely. A client/friend needs me to work on his projector and tonight is the only one that fits until late next week.

Unless this is a PAID gig on the diamond...heh...I've got to get to him so I can pay some bills.

He's only a few miles from my Lathrup Village guy that I need to be at by two o'clock, and it would be foolishness to drive all the way down in rush hour, then rush afterwards to get back up to him afterward. I ain't got that gas to waste...and it would give Murphy too much chance to mess me up.

Will check in later, but as of now I'm out, too.

One less outfielder...

Gnome

Post Number: 1951
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from the Metro Times article provided by RealityCheck:

quote:

But here's the really beautiful thing about this: After the story got posted on the DetroitYes site, some wag suggested freedom lovers in this area needed to stage a protest of sorts, and suggested a softball game at the park. Others were quick to sign on, with someone suggesting that everyone show up wearing black shirts.

The game's to be held today, Wednesday, Oct. 1, at the park's ball diamond. People are meeting at the foot of West Grand Boulevard and Fort Street around 4:15 p.m. The game begins at 5.

Gannon

Post Number: 14341
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, maybe that'll get you my replacement...I feel a bit better.

I'll call when I'm finally heading downtown.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been working on getting a few people who don't post on here to come. also have a few balls and some bases. What do others have?

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Stamper's letter implies that Maroun and the BC are generous philanthropists. I'd like to be fair and, if Maroun is generous with his $1.5 billion to the City, I'll give him credit.

Does anyone know (and be honest) what Maroun and/or the bridge company have done for the City - say, over the past ten years? We can list huge contributions by Roger Penske, who is worth the same amount, but I'm hard-pressed to think of anything to attribute to Maroun.

Cub

Post Number: 826
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am planning on bringing my bro.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmmm, the only thing I can think of is that he has let MCS decay so much that it is now an attraction for movies... Besides that I can't think of anything.

Gnome

Post Number: 1952
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Starting Line-up:
Brother Cub,
CUB,
Brandi,
ZRXDoug
Curly98
Mortgageking
Melocoton
PlymouthRes
Masterblaster
Homer
UrbanOutdoors & posse
Gannon

Soulhawk, attending in his heart
Gnome

Bring your gear.

Gnome

Post Number: 1953
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3647
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm cheering from home!

Swing, batter, batter, Swing!

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great game guys thanks to all that came out!

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 910
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you guys encounter Shotgun Doug? Did Dan Stamper show up with free pop? Do tell.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 338
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A great time was had by all.
bridge softball

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5063
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great thread. I am just now reading it and it's headed for the hall of fame.

Two or three years back my son and a friend were photographing a couple of blocks away from the bridge along E. Jefferson and some of Manny's thugs illegally intimidated them and threatened them with arrest while they were on public property. They left not realizing it was BS.

Moroun and his attempt to monopolize the border crossings needs to be stood up to and stopped. Congrats to all who took part. Windsor seems to be doing a better job, but they understand the issue more than on this side.

Now that he has lost his biggest ally, who wanted to take the MCS off his hands to make it a police HQ, it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

A mayoral candidate who vows to slap blight violations on Moroun while pointing out his ties to the disgraced KK could make some good hay.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 927
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome-

I am really sorry that I couldn't make it, but I started a new job on Monday and could not get off until after 6 so I apologize that I wasn't there.

I hope that you got your message across!

Cub

Post Number: 828
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You missed a great game Res. It was a lot of fun.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 320
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDIV is covering this story right now

Per WDIV report, Stamper has changed his story and is now saying that Archer gave the Bridge verbal permission to secure the bridge as "they see fit"

(Message edited by yupislyr on October 01, 2008)

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know a few of you wanted my email address.
Drop me a line @ josephrashid@gmail.com

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

saw you guys on channel 4 tonight. congrats!

oh, and eff Matty

Haikoont
Username: Haikoont

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judging by Homer's picture, the pitcher was a little wild. Apparently he knocked the photographer on his heinie.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haikoont,
sorry that was my pitching I haven't pitched slow pitch in years...
my tv gets horrible reception anyone got a link I couldn't find it...

(Message edited by urbanoutdoors on October 01, 2008)

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 739
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Truly a great time..haven't played any ball in at least twenty years, and MAN, did it show..
:-)
I'd do it again in a heartbeat, ditto for Brandy..just don't put me in right field when Cub & his bro are at bat! Whatta pair of power hitters..

Great game, great cause, great people..really a fun time.

Gnome

Post Number: 1954
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ZRX DOUG, both you and Brandy were great and just staying on the field with Cub an BroCub is an accomplishment.

I'm feeling the "fun" too.

We recruited folks from the neighborhood that showed up and in general had a great time.

The entire game was a success. We had fun, proved our point, got the news folks to put a spotlight on the problem, and met a few nice people.

Except of Mr. Teatsorth.