Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » ::: Detroit Mayor Election Mega Thread II ::: » Michigan Sen. Buzz Thomas petitions for Detroit mayor role « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 260
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More in the free press,
http://www.freep.com/article/2 0081010/NEWS01/81010087
Sen. Buzz Thomas petitions for mayor. He needs 583 valid signatures by Tuesday.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3399
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buzz is still practically a kid. Plus, I don't think Detroit's ready for a gay mayor yet.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 186
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty soon we'll need a scorecard to keep track of all the guys running for mayor.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5945
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This kinda reminds me of the Gubernatorial election in Cali a few years back that got the governator elected...

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone's running for mayor, it seems, regardless of qualification. Obviously, lots of people look at this as their best shot yet, and others are playing the "name on the ballot" game for familiarity and press coverage.

BTW - type in Buzz Thomas Gay (which Google recommends when you type in Buzz Thomas) and this thread is the third result. Should remind you the power of this forum in regards to anything Detroit and the internet.

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 252
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah...THIS guy is ready to be mayor. Anyone who knows the guy is laughing...

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3728
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HA! Next thing you know, Adolf Mongo will want to run for Mayor. :-)

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gplimpton, if you have spent any time in Lansing at all, you will find that Buzz is one of the smartest and most reasonable people there....Why would you be laughing? Do you know him?

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So if Neophryte Buzz is one of the smartest and most reasonable we have in Lansing... I am scared. VERY scared. Seriously, in political terms he's a newborn and his record shows it.

I've lost track... is Freeman Hendrix anywhere in all this mess?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5427
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would a career politician be better as mayor than someone who's newer (or not in politics at all?). Detroit doesn't need a person so that they can be a good politician as mayor. They need a good mayor, to do a lot of work. Buzz would be good because he has done his best to make Detroit the priority that it should be in Lansing, and has committed to regional transit.

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Practically a kid? He's almost 40.

Neophyte? He's spent 6 years in the House and 6 in the Senate.

Sg9018

Post Number: 261
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitchef,
Freman Hendrix is in the running and he will announce his candidacy Sunday.
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/my fox/pages/Home/Detail?contentI d=7626077&version=2&locale=EN- US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1. 1

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 941
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^I hope he's got a better platform than last time. If "Vote for me, I'm not Kwame" didn't work, I can't imagine "Vote for me, I'm not Ken Cockrel" will be a whole lot more successful.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Buzz is so good in Lansing, let him stay there.

Detroitchef

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I term him a neophryte because he has no real record of success during his tenure. And, if you talk to other legislators in this state, they'll admit that he's more of a speedbump than a statesman. In those 12 years, he was regularly a no-show for major votes, and his sole success at marshalling legislation is the 'no bullying' school rider? Yeeeahhh.... that makes you ready to run a city. He's yet another career parasite errr.... politician, and no doubt hopes to use the mayor position to run for national office. I agree with Daddeeoo... let him sit there in Lansing and snooze away another decade.

Just to open the can of worms again... Unicameral House in Michigan? WTF do all those state senators DO and why are we paying them to do it?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7376
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...if you have spent any time in Lansing at all, you will find that Buzz is one of the smartest and most reasonable people there...

Sigh.... didn't they say the same thing about Kwame before he ran for mayor... :-(

Shiva
Username: Shiva

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He hides his elite educational background.

He is a graduate of Detroit Country Day School (perhaps the most expensive prep school in this area) and is an Ivy league grad.

Most people would be proud of this, he never mentions that he even attended school.

Sad.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2922
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If Buzz is so good in Lansing, let him stay there.

I'm sure he would like to. However, the voters of this state have enacted term limits into Michigan's Constitution. Therefore, this will be his last term in the Michigan Senate.
quote:

I term him a neophyte because he has no real record of success during his tenure.

You might want to actually take a look at his record before you talk about it. In 2007 - 08, sponsored or co-sponsored approximately 300 bills and resolutions.

http://legislature.mi.gov/(S(ntwsl22mfyjyxxen3as5ik45))/ mileg.aspx?page=SponsorSearch

Many of those where testimonial resolutions. However, there are several legitimate issues where he took a leadership role:

* Additional funding for prostate cancer research;
* Regional mass transit;
* Reforming the way liquor licenses are granted;
* Auto insurance reform.

He hasn't always been successful because he's gone against some very powerful lobbyists (e.g., insurance companies). However, one has to respect the man for giving it his best shot when few others were willing to step up to the plate.

Original63
Username: Original63

Post Number: 184
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't underestimate Buzz's abilities.

Maybe he will not become Mayor right now, but he is imminently more qualified than Freeman Hendrix.
(That might not be saying much) However he is an accessible legislator who has every right and maybe a better vision than we know about.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yah, term limits was an asinine idea. Needs to be repealed.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, you are exactly right.....I still have people from Lansing tell me all the time that they literally can't believe that the smart young man they new became as corrupt as he has...sad really.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3408
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Buzz Thomas smart? Sure he is. Does he have legislative experience in Lansing? Sure he does. But I don't think he's tough enough to be mayor. Maybe that's why I'm calling him "practically a kid" even though he's in his late 30s. He comes across as bright-eyed, hopeful and ... I'm afraid that's about it.

BTW, I thought he went to the Waldorf school in Detroit, not Country Day.

Detroitchef

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do know about his record, thanks for the concern. I live in his district and tend to pay attention to silly stuff like that.

Prostate Cancer research...too easy. Not gonna comment..... Resisting urge to go for cheap laughs...must...fight...also not going to comment on regional transport sponsorship by Thomas being solely for suppression of Interstate Reststop raids...must......resist.....

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there anything else to be or do in Detroit besides running for and becoming Mayor? It seems as though everyone and their mama want to be Mayor of Detroit(a dying city that has more problems than solutions). I just don't get the fascination. I wonder if it is because there are no term limits? Someone can get in office, become endearing to the public and stay in office until they die. I mean, how glamorous can the position be in a dying city? Or is it that people want their hand on the public trough? These people that are hungrily scratching and scraping for one position need to find a job and stop lusting after the city of Detroit's nipple.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 314
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you not notice that more than 180 people threw their names into the city council race last time around? Hell, the economy south of 8 mile has sucked for years, and for $85k/yr plus benefits, and seeing how few qualifications it takes to land this gig, why not give it a shot?

I saw one sign with a familiar name on it last city elections, it turns out we were in fourth grade together. I had not heard that name or face in over 20 years, and haven't heard about her since. Another dude lived on my paper route. Never heard word one about anything positive he did either.

To top these off, one fellow who used to run the hockey program at a city rec center on the west side, skated with several years worth of insurance fees, essentially making us a "pirate" league. This ass had the audacity to show up in a Corvette and a new truck, then threw his name in the State Represenative hat. Yeah, some dude who stole from kids tried to run for state rep. No, he never cleared the primaries, thank you.

So to answer your question Shave, "worthless do-nothings" stand a chance in this town. Hell, YOU could run for mayor or elected office in this town. BTW, I'll take Buzz any day over that hack Benny Napoleon, another worthless POS.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 314
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If dead azz Martha Reeves can get on council and earn 85k for sleeping through the term, anybody can get on. Then you can proceed to NOT show up for half the meetings and votes, take 6-8 weeks off for undisclosed medical reasons - or just show up and vote to hold a vote NEXT meeting, and just collect your paycheck. Nice job if you can get it! Much better than applying for jobs and going through the interview process.

And I agree that Buzz Thomas is just not tough enough to be mayor of Detroit. Perhaps mayor of Sylvan Lake or Keego Harbor, but not Detroit. Face it, there's a lot of corruption in the upper business eschelon of Detroit. Kwame chose to be a part of it as long as his hand was greased. Coleman Young chose to RUN it and make them answer to HIM. The next Mayor can't be afraid to go into the dark places and lay down the law and do whatever necessary to restore order. Buzz seems like he'd stay hiding in the office or travel with twice the entourage of KK just so no one can get close to him.

And Detroitchef, you are BAD! lolol

Sg9018

Post Number: 269
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sen. Samuel "Buzz" Thomas will not run for mayor.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20081014/M ETRO/810140407