Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » The Start of an Urban Garden and Neighbourhood Gathering Place » Archive through September 14, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13899
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL. Gotta love that southern hospitality.

Three cheers for horny women of ANY age...

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cub - I just dropped of the grill. I hid the propane tank behind the tree. it was good to meet you & your bro yesterday - ill stop by soon

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 752
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol Gnome.
Thanks Jfried it was good to meet you too.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bumped for Leannam1989

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 227
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub. So glad you could come to the EEV garden get together. You might be surprised at which members could be of help to yourt efforts.

I hope you enjoyed Kathy/Kala's readings. She is usually spot on. Marie was very engaged by your program. She is a professional landscaper and a community activist in our area. A very good person to know.

As mentioned, I would be happy to assist in grant writing for your gardens. It would be helpful to you to become a 501c3 non profit. It is expensive however, so you might be able to piggy-back with a community org. in your area.

We talked briefly about an area identifier. It does work. Cass Corridor is now Midtown, DEAR is now East English Village,etc. How about Georgetown?

I don't recall if you saw our "back forty". We have lots of raspberry bushes that we are thinking about removing next spring. Let me know if you want them. They fruit twice a year and there are also a few black raspberry bushes (single crop)too. If you want to sacrifice fruit for a year they are very easy to layer giving twice the plants. Maybe the kids could pick and sell raspberries to make money at a local market.

Please send your wish list for the garden and for the kids program. I will see that it gets posted on the EEV web site.

Once again, thanks for coming and for your impromtu speech about your community garden.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow,I'd love to have a couple of those raspberry bushes. Would that be possible?

Stromberg2

Cub

Post Number: 762
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need help with getting a port-a-potty at the Georgia Street Garden for a party on Friday Aug. 29 2008.(Yes I know thats this friday)
A friend and neighbor's wife wants to give him a birthday party in the garden. I was asked a month ago but was not told until today that they had planned on having a port-a-potty. They called around and the cheapest they found was $90. I was wonder if my family here on Dyes had any info on a company that could supply one for cheaper. This may not be a one time event either as I have gotten a couple more request for September and next year.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 552
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Cub ain,t got one of those in my garage, my 'wife' would kill me if i did.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1755
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Theres been one sitting on a side street off Ferry across from the incinerator for quite a while. I didnt dare look inside. Im not sure if its still there. Seems to have been "dumped" there. Incinerator probably wouldnt take it.

Cub

Post Number: 765
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yuck!! Django. I am not looking for a freebe just something cheaper.

Cub

Post Number: 774
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mschievous, Thank you for stopping by the garden last night and Thank you so much for the Webber Grill. Some neighbors are all ready talking about Monday Night Football in the Garden.

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 186
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub,

My husband and I were glad to help. Our lives are very blessed and we are glad to share. Sorry I took so long, I know I told you I'd drop it off two weeks ago but I wanted him to come with me so he could see "Detroit's Little Miracle" for himself. We sometimes get a little jaded about the happenings in our city, particularly now. You are proof that Detroit IS it's people!

I was also very glad to meet your mother. I'm sure she's proud that she raised such a fine, caring son and a true Detroit lover. I'm proud to know you both!

Pixiedust
Username: Pixiedust

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've lived here for a year now (I'm a Southern-born and raised transplant), and I just want to take this opportunity to declare that Detroit people are amazing . . . amazingly diverse, often generous, quirky, strong, funny, weird, and everything else that one can imagine, and together, these Detroiters make this the most interesting place in the world to be. So, go ahead, say something snarky about my hug-the-world cheesiness. I'll only love you more for it.

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pixie, you speak the truth. Nuf said

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 808
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub for Mayor of Detroit !

Pixiedust

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think so, Mscheivous. Thanks for the acknowledgement.

Cub

Post Number: 776
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tell you what. I could not have done this without the help and encouragement of my family here on the forum and at home. Keep praying for our city. We can make it better, we have to make it better.

Cub

Post Number: 777
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops almost forgot, Welcome to the forum Pixie.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2908
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Pixiedust! Welcome to Dyes! What part of the south are you from?

Reddog289

Post Number: 564
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got to visit the garden, was glad to finally see it after my first two attempts. Gonna copy Cub and put in those raised beds, the "dirt" from the hunt club gave me another idea.MAYBE the new race course in Romulus has manure they wanna get rid of. All said it was great to see Cub and the garden.

Pixiedust

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 6:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Cub, we will make it better. I'm here with my little girl, and we're staying, and I know that we're not the only ones. Expect more happy, hopeful people, and thanks for the welcome. It's good to be here.
And, thank you, Eriedearie for your welcome. I'm from North Carolina . . . Originally, The Smokey Mountains, near Cherokee. More recently, I had been living in the Piedmont region, near Charlotte.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2909
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pixie, I know the area well. My maternal side has their roots in and around Asheville, Still have lots of cousins scattered thereabouts. Love the Smokey's! I'm originally from around Southwest VA.

You'll have to get out to meet Cub and see the Community Garden. Cub is going places with his visions. I believe that. Keep up the good work buddy!

Pixie = glad to have another gal from Dixie on board! :-)

Sorry for the thread jack Cub.

Cub

Post Number: 778
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem Erie. You have my permission to jack Lol! :-)

Pixiedust

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My little one and I will definitely get out to the Community Garden soon. My daughter LOVES flowers.

Cub

Post Number: 779
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yesterdays pictures at www.georgiastreetgarden.blogsp ot.com

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3098
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Cub! How has the harvest gone? Get many tomatoes from those beautiful plants? Did the corn do well?

Cub

Post Number: 795
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Erie!
Everything is going good and I mean going. The neighbors have been harvesting everything. Thank goodness, I thought some of the crops were going to go to waste. The corn didnt do well at all but i know why, no nitrogen. Next year the corn will be in raised beds. I plan to experiment with layer gardening in one of the beds. If everything goes right we will add 7 beds by November. The beginning of the season I had raised beds and no soil and at the end I have soil and no beds LOL.

Reddog289

Post Number: 584
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After seeing Cubs raised beds and how well his plants did, i,ll follow his lead but have a question to throw out.IF I were to build a raised bed on top of concrete how deep would the dirt have to be?

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 157
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

depends, 12 inches should be good for most crops. but remember the soil will compact and even if you fill it to the max you will loose a few inches.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3099
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, I am so glad there is a good harvest from the Community Garden. Makes it worth all the effort! And proves that good things happen to good people.

Well, with adding 7 new beds there will surely be an abundance next year. Maybe enough so that some people might be inclined to do some canning to put up for the winter. That's what we've been doing around here. Well, mostly packaging and freezing stuff. My grandson said we're like hibernation people! I told him "waste not, want not!" The exact same words my grandma said to me...just passing along some wisdom to the youngin!

Good luck with your plans buddy! :-)