Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Vintage Kodachrome Collection of Detroit by MikeG » Vintage Kodachrome - Chicago Blvd. & Dexter, 1956 « Previous Next »
Archive through October 16, 2008Crystal30 10-16-08  10:11 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1962
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an aerial photo of tree-lined W. Chicago Blvd. from Dexter on the left to Genessee on the right. The apartment building shown in the previous photo was located at the southeast corner of W. Chicago Blvd. and Genessee St. and it is the "U" shaped building near the upper right side of this aerial photo.

aerial photo of W. Chicago Blvd. from Dexter to Genessee

Let's take a look inside the courtyard of that apartment building:

July 17, 1956
(full size)

Courtyard with woman, July 17, 1956

September 1955
(full size)

Courtyard, Sept. 1955

July 17, 1956 (note the furry critter at lower left)
(full size)

Courtyard with squirrel, July 17, 1956

Here's the door to Apartment A10, decorated for Christmas 1953.
(full size)

Apt. door, Dec. 1953

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 6046
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The previous CULMA aerial photo was cropped just right so as to show the 1942 mystery flat/apartment in the extreme lower-left corner--probably by coincidence. The building is now gone; the building part of its lot was transformed into a parking lot for a second-hand store.

Jtf1972
Username: Jtf1972

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That courtyard was beautiful & serene.

For some reason, an asphalt parking lot doesn't have the same impact...

(Message edited by jtf1972 on October 16, 2008)

Mikeg

Post Number: 1963
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard, nope - not a coincidence! After you posted the comment about the 1942 mystery thread and I read Bulletmagnet's comment, I went back and re-read that thread. When I cropped the CULMA image, I made sure I also captured the opposite side of Dexter.

Jtf1972, note in the 1961 aerial photo that there were two parking lots for nearby residents along the south side of Chicago between Dexter and Genessee.

(Message edited by Mikeg on October 16, 2008)

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg,

These are GREAT photos as I grew up in SW Detroit during the 50's & 60's. What's the source for the pix as I'm researching my Dad's pro boxing career in Detroit during the 1930's. Would love to see some old pictures of Arena Gardens, the Naval Armory, etc. I've seen those available from the Reuther and Wayne state.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 307
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rick,

I think this is the source for the great photos. Depending on your screen resolution, computer speed, and patience, it can be tedious to zoom in to the area you're trying to pinpoint.

http://tools.comm.wayne.edu/me dia/low_res/aerial_photos/inde x.htm

Note the special instructions for Macs.

(Message edited by Crystal on October 16, 2008)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 6047
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had taken the various views from all the available CULMA years and placed the mystery house on my registered domain. Also, the interesting apartment second from the NE corner. It had gone through such devastation over the years, according to the CULMAs.

However, I later culled those graphics on my site, and now they're gone. Maybe you could retake them--for both the mystery house and that other apartment that is visible in the mystery thread, or even the smaller NE corner building.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1582
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard, can you provide a link to your site here for our convenience? Thanks in advance.
Mikeg, I bet that last courtyard photo is an outside shot of apartment A 10.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1964
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you're right about that exterior shot being the exterior of A10, since there was nothing noteworthy about the composition, flora or fauna in it.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 314
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg,

Thanks for posting these spectacular photos. It makes me a bit sad, too. There are neighborhoods in chicago that still look like this, but none in detroit.

To expand on another poster's suggestion, perhaps you could re-post all photos to one thread for the HOF?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 6048
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BM: I was describing what I did 32 months ago. I have since vaporized those PNGs or whatever from my Web site. But recreating them using the CULMA maps would be easy for somebody to do. Just start at the CULMA year 1949 600-dpi map and monitor the devastation of that neighborhood until the final CULMA year. Then, add the current street views from the GPS.

That might be a good project for you to do as I don't have the time due to suddenly picking up some freelance technical editing gigs today from Indian and Russian sources.

(Message edited by livernoisyard on October 17, 2008)

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1584
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Otter, I believe the decision to re-post threads to the HOF is a call made by the admin. But I couldn't disagree :-)
Livernoisyard thanks for the info, and good luck with your current project.

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Crystal, I've opened that link and found good aerial shots. What I'm curious about is how to access photos like the apartment shots posted here for other areas of the city.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 999
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW! Is all I can say its insane what can happen in 50 years. Think 50 years before those photos that area was likely rural. Wonder what the next 50 will bring?

Mikeg

Post Number: 1971
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What I'm curious about is how to access photos like the apartment shots posted here for other areas of the city.

These color images have not been "accessed" from somewhere else on the Internet. They are from a private collection of Kodachrome slides and the owner has given me permission to scan and upload them to this forum. Because of this forum's image file size limitation, I have also uploaded the full size version of each scanned image to my own web domain so you can see the finer details in each photo.

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 191
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't say that you simply "accessed" the photos, I was asking how I could. I'm just trying to continue to do my research into Detroit in the early 1930's.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3783
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

WOW! Is all I can say its insane what can happen in 50 years. Think 50 years before those photos that area was likely rural. Wonder what the next 50 will bring?

Likely a return BACK to rural land. :-)

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

These pictures make me want to cry. It is easy to see how Detroit was once referred to as the most beautiful city in the midwest. It is truly sad what people have done to it... not the people who live in Detroit, mind you. The people who didn't give a damn and ran the hell out for cookie-cutter homes and shopping malls (for various reasons,) leaving an economic vacuum.

This post makes me want to make you cry too.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3785
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

These pictures make me want to cry. It is easy to see how Detroit was once referred to as the most beautiful city in the midwest. It is truly sad what people have done to it... not the people who live in Detroit, mind you. The people who didn't give a damn and ran the hell out for cookie-cutter homes and shopping malls (for various reasons,) leaving an economic vacuum.

Kennyd will have to make me cry as well, because I fully agree with you. :-)

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i think the people who fled were afraid that those who so desperately sought and gained power in detroit, might ultimately preside over an anarchical culture that would leave the city crime-ridden and crumbling.

and, please remember that most of the people that fled detroit did so at great emotional and economic expense. they lost investments in their homes, and left behind cherished memories, neighbors, churches, and schools. some people who insisted on staying and supporting the community found themselves, and their family members, increasing victimized and imperiled.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 310
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know who posted the original mystery thread but I was looking at the pictures of the woman holding the baby real close. If that womans name is Nora (Coggins) Ridgeway she is my grandmother. Don't know if all women back then holding babies looked like that. I'll dig in boxes and see if I can find the same picture.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 567
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. That would be awesome. AND a coincidence.

Rid0617

Post Number: 311
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oooops, thinking about one grandmother and typing the name of the other. Meant to type Mary Edith Greak

Rid0617

Post Number: 312
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm digging through boxes as I keep checking this thread LOL

Rid0617

Post Number: 313
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used my equipment here and if anyone is still following this the sign says David Wilkus Management. 55?? Cass

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1608
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very good detective work Lieutenant Rid0617! Now carry on.