Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Reading Night at the Georgia Street Garden » Archive through September 25, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a note to Plymouthres.
I watched Extreme Home Makeover and was very touched when they they did a house and a church in New Orleans. I started thinking why not a community garden and a home rehab for a worthy Detroit supporter. They always do for those that do for the community. I envision a green house, tools and storage shed. Better yet books, school supplies, plants, compost ect.

You seem to have a clear vision and empathy for Cub's vision and project. They have not been to Detroit. Please consider submitting this project. I would do it but I don't have a digital camera or video capability. I know it is a shot in a million but maybe worth a try.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 783
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.georgiastreetgarden.blogsp ot.com

Cub

Post Number: 784
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just found out that one of our older kids was chosen to be a student ambassador to Australia in the summer of 2009.
More info to come after a meeting in October.

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 207
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub,

Is that through People to People? Start your fund raising efforts now. It will be expensive but sooooo worth it! It's an experience he/she will never forget

Cub

Post Number: 785
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it is. Thank you for the heads up. His parents may not be able to fund this on their own.

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure! It's easily a $6,000-7,000 hit but they (P2P)will give you pointers on fund raising activities. Parents NEED the entire year to save. The good thing is, with the right fund raisers (at their jobs, bowling, candy sales, pledging to walk/ride X miles in an event, etc.), complete strangers will make small donations that can really help defray some of the costs. Keep us posted

http://www.studentambassadors. org/

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2945
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is Fantastic Cub! Please extend our congratulations to her/him. Good job!

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, please keep us informed regarding the student ambassador.

Cub

Post Number: 790
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reading and Movie Night Saturday Sept. 6, 7:00pm

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 328
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub: How did Saturday night go? I hope some kids showed up this week.

Sumas

Post Number: 269
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 5:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've pretty much decided to pull my raspberry bushes this fall instead of next spring. Is there a bed available? Also have some herbs and perennials ready for transplant. Will be by later this week to dig them in.

How about doing a harvest pot luck party one Saturday for adults and kids? Good food, a Bonfire, and a chance to meet new friends.

Also how about a Halloween party.

Cub

Post Number: 792
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Blue. We had an adult night at the garden Saturday as none of the kids showed. Excuses ranged from going camping to going to a wedding of some neighbors.
Sumas I will have some beds ready by Wednesday :-)
and those are some great ideas. I will get started on some flyers this week.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13965
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, let's revive some of the holiday celebrations of yore...they were all based upon the cultivation and production of the land, anyways!

Cub

Post Number: 799
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today I secured a place to have reading and tutoring sessions over the winter. It is next door to the church on the corner of Holcomb and Georgia St. Christ Word Outreach Ministry in their annex. Rev. Michael Jemison is the pastor. as of right now they have Thursdays and Fridays open. I will have more info on Sunday.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 905
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good job on the site, Cub! This will make it much easier to help out the kids and much more comfortable for the mentoring program.Thursdays and Fridays are good for now, too.

I look forward to meeting Pastor Jemison with you.

Cub

Post Number: 800
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I told you I have been busy. LOL.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 906
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes you have! We will talk tomorrow!

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, do the kids/program need any school supplies still? I've got some stuff I'd love to give to these kids. Thanks

Cub

Post Number: 801
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Viva, Thank You.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 334
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found some more books to donate as well. Perhaps will get them down there this Saturday. It's Mr. Blue's 50th birthday, so I will let him choose what to do.

I'm glad to hear that you found a building for the winter. I'm thinking about having a "craft day"maybe on a Saturday afternoon before the reading night. I have the stuff so kids could paint their own holiday ornaments or decorations. Would we have enough tables in the room for them to work on? Other than space, all I would need is some water. I will provide everything else. Maybe have the kids bring a "paint shirt" so they don't get it on their clothes. What do you think?

Vivadetroit

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent! When & where can I drop them off? Will you be there this Saturday?

Cub

Post Number: 803
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Viva, I will be there Saturday. 6:00 pm for me.

Blue yes that sounds great! I will see if they will give us the space on a Saturday.

Sumas

Post Number: 283
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope to dig the raspberries this Sunday Am. Also more books. Do you have a means to store or display them for the kids? If not, I'll hang onto them till spring.

I am thinking it would be cool to underplant the raspberries around the perimeter of the bed(raspberries are thorny). My source for strawberries won't be available til spring

I also have wire garden fencing if you can use it. I may be able to get a bunch of tomato cages for next year if you want. Let me know.

If you won't be around on this Sunday stick a sign on which bed I can plant these raspberries in. I may be there around 2:00 to 3:00. There is a plant exchange in East Pointe from 11:00 to 2:00 and I may be able to score some free useful plants.

Cub

Post Number: 807
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Sumas! Yes I have a place to store them. I will be in the Garden Sunday at 2:30.
Give me what you got lol. I promise to make good use of them as we are up to six lots.

Peterhuntprincess
Username: Peterhuntprincess

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, so to get this right the garden is at Georgia and Vinton. Now if my memory of the old hood is accurate that is somewhere near that old church down the street from A L Holmes. And the reading is on Sunday at 4:00. I would like to bring my daughters we havent visited my mom's old house (one of the few left on the block) in a while. I figured it would be a nice time for them to tour the hood, when we left there we very few houses around.

Cub

Post Number: 808
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Its near the old tan colored church. Corner of Georgia and Vinton. The Reading Night is on Saturdays @ 7. I will be there @ 6.

Vivadetroit

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, are you there most Sats & Sun? I won't be able to make it tonight or tomorrow night. Maybe next Sat/Sun? sorry about that.

Cub

Post Number: 809
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mostly everyday lol. I live two houses away.

Gannon

Post Number: 14184
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump, what's the plan for Saturday?

Gannon

Post Number: 14187
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are you asking, PlyRes?