Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Original Belle Isle Bridge... « Previous Next »
Archive through October 18, 2008Bigb2330 10-18-08  4:29 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7388
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem, thanks for those 2 maps. They are interesting because one shows the west end of the island before the dredging landfill built up that part of the island, and before the Scott Fountain and Basin were erected.

The other pic shows the new pointed built up west end of the island, but no access roads or basin are shown on that part of the island, although Scott Fountain is mentioned.

When was Scott Fountain/Basin erected? I always thought the year was 1915.

Another interesting item in those 2 maps is the position of the Detroit Yacht Club. Back in the early 20th century it appears to have been located near the center of the island by the beach. Today it is located on an island spur on the northeast part of the island.

Also, Blue Heron Lagoon (on the eastern tip of the island) and the Livingston Lighthouse were not yet built. I was wondering when Belle Isle reached its present maximum size?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1978
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On July 4, 1919, "Detroit's Own" 339th Infantry Regiment was welcomed home with a picnic on Belle Isle. Detroit News photographers were there as the soldiers
- boarded the steamer "Brittania" at the foot of 3rd
[photo]
- disembarked at the pier on the "Canadian" side of Belle Isle
[photo 1]
[photo 2]
[photo 3]

The pier is visible on the old maps, just left of the "athletic field".

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 326
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Livingston Light was constructed about 1930. Some of the fill was done in the early 50's on the island near the Harbormaster Boathouse.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6369
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the old maps, Mikem. I'd always wondered when the western tip of the island was added on. Are there any earlier maps showing its geography before it was turned into a park?

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 268
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Brittania looks a lot like the steamer with a plume of smoke in the photo about the old bridge, from above, enlarged.

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?rgn1=vmc_all &op2=And&rgn2=vmc_all&g=photoj ournalism&med=1&c=vmc&back=bac k1224357404&q1=belle&chaperone =S-VMC-X-20932+20932&ox=846&oy =216&lastres=0&res=-1&width=75 0&height=468&maxw=1500&maxh=93 6&subview=getsid&view=entry&vi ewid=20932&entryid=x-20932&cc= vmc&quality=1&resnum=108&evl=f ull-image&image.x=218&image.y= 234

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 425
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIW said, "The Detroit & Windsor ferry co. used to hit the island." I wonder if companies with "Detroit & Windsor" in their name with in fact those kinds of ownerships are feasible or can exist in today's business climate? Seems like a freer, easier time back "in the day", so to speak!

Townonenorth

Post Number: 269
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a couple of pictures from the Library of Congress, depicting the ferry dock at the foot of Woodward, with boats going to Belle Isle. Must have been a nice trip, Star of Detroit replicated that trip (without docking) a few years ago.

There's another pic from the site that was taken from the ferry Ariel, but it's mostly water. These were estimated to have been taken between 1890-1901.

(Message edited by townonenorth on October 18, 2008)

Mikeg

Post Number: 1980
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the 1895 Detroit City Directory:
Noble, Thomas W., Sail Maker and Rigger, 17 Woodward Av, h 270 2nd, Tel 1349

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3711
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belle Isle, 1876:

From a brief bit of research, I see that the first bridge was built in 1889 (the city acquired the island in 1879) at a cost of $295,000 and burned April 27, 1915. The temporary bridge cost $99,999 and opened in July 1916. The new bridge opened for traffic in September, 1923.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 270
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds to me like the dock site was the same spot as the Bob-Lo dock at the foot of Woodward. I wonder if the ticket office was the same one, with some modifications?

Photo Detroit News Archival Photo

(Message edited by townonenorth on October 18, 2008)

Guideboat
Username: Guideboat

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great photos!

I do believe that was a Detroit Electric in the bridge photo. Had a chance to drive one. No steering wheel just a tiller.

Anyone know what the seaplane is in the aerial pic?

Townonenorth

Post Number: 271
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The original dock for the Bois Blanc (Bob-Lo)and Amherstburg steamers, about 1901.

Behind the offices is what looks like the above mentioned Belle Isle dock, but the ship looks like the Belle Isle ferry. Same company?

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 430
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can one of you "eagle eye" Forumers tell me what that dark structure is hanging over the middle of the Belle Isle Bridge in this photo?

bib

Mikeg

Post Number: 1986
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably the bridge-tender's shack. You can tell by the piles and cribbing protecting the pier below it that this was the swing segment of the bridge that swung to let vessels pass through.

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 376
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg is correct, It was the operators shack, Below is a pic of the same type of structure that is still in use here in Clarksville, Tn.
This one is for the RJ Corman RR going over the Cumberland River.
During times of high water the bridge will be swung open to allow ships through.
I know of 3 of these type bridges within 60 mi of me.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1997
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On that WSU Virtual site, they have old newsreels from the Detroit News of using the old piers or pilings from the original Belle Isle Bridge to extend the western end of the island.

I can't seem to find that those old newsreels, but I know I've seen them, maybe I'm not using their site correctly. But for Gistock, I remember that the Scott fountain had already been built.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 272
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gnome for alerting me to the existence of these videos! Great find.

The video can be found by clicking below:

http://www.lib.wayne.edu/resou rces/digital_library/det_news/ video.php?vid=3R2_30

Video search capability can be found below. Says it's hit and miss, I didn't have a problem.

http://www.google.com/coop/cse ?cx=000484235614096219486:wju_ ysl2hqa

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1998
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanx T1N, I knew it was there ...somewhere. Some great newsreels there; the building of Eaton Tower (now called the Broderrick Building) to footraces on Belle Isle and gondola rides up the outside of the Penobscott building.

A real day waster, so be careful ... it's too nice to spend too much time in the digital attic.

Bc_n_dtown
Username: Bc_n_dtown

Post Number: 85
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

When was Scott Fountain/Basin erected? I always thought the year was 1915.

Gistok, the Scott Fountain was completed sometime in 1925, and as you correctly mentioned sits upon that man-made land base area created on the west end of the island. Interestingly, a 1922 Detroit street map of mine does not show a pointed built up landfill area on the west end of the island. However, it does appear on my 1924 Detroit map, while the east end Blue Heron Lagoon area in 1924 appears to be incomplete (or under construction).

BTW—For those interested, here's a little trivia information I came across while doing my transit history research....

Originally, Belle Isle consisted of only 768 acres of land, but beginning in 1915 (and over the next decade or so) work would begin to enlarge the size of the island. As Gistok mentioned earlier, material was added to the west end of the island and also to the Lagoon area on the east end. The material used came from downtown construction projects and from the 1920-22 construction of new streetcar lines built by the City under its former Municipal Operation — the short-lived predecessor to the DSR. The excess material taken from the streets to form the track base was hauled away by truck, and by horse and wagon, and used to enlarge the island.

The James Scott Memorial Fountain, which was dedicated on May 30, 1925, sits upon that man-made land base area created on the west end of the island. In the end, all of this landfill material would help increase Belle Isle to its current 983 acres.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2615
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guideboat -
quote:

Anyone know what the seaplane is in the aerial pic?

I think I found a match due to the vertical canards on the top wing. (And it was fun researching!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_seaplanes_and_flying_boats

Felixstowe F5L
The F5L was built by the US Naval Aircraft Factory (137) , Curtiss (60) and Canadian Aeroplanes Limited (30). Some were converted for civilian use by the Aeromarine Plane and Motor Company in 1919. Named the Aeromarine 75, it could accommodate 10 passengers and was operated by Aeromarine Airways on flights from Key West to Havana, carrying the first US Post office international air mail on flights from New York to Atlantic City, and from Cleveland to Detroit.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2619
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking at the aerial pic again, it looks like the Cleveland/Detroit mail flight. The flight line would take it right over Belle Isle. Where did it land, the original Ford Field?

Guideboat
Username: Guideboat

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! Nice work Bigb23! Seems unnecessary to use a seaplane between two cities that must have had decent airfields. Maybe it was the insurance for flying over so much water.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must've been quite the engineering project to remove the piers for the old bridge.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3439
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The way I heard it, much of the additions to Belle Isle were the rubble and debris left over from destroying many of Detroit's original 19th century mansions in the early 1920s street-widening projects. Imagine the ostentatious homes of the 19th century barons being loaded into trucks, driven over the bridge, and dumped as filler into the riverside. I'm sure it was hailed as progress, but it makes me sad. Why must my city grow at the expense of its past. :-(

Faygoredpop
Username: Faygoredpop

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for the Scott Fountain and when it was erected, it was dedicated in 1925. According to the book I have from Arcadia publishing - "Detroit's Belle Isle Island Park Gem" it says the following about the fountain:

"For the 1901 City Bicentennial, city officials and dignitaries discussed the possibility of making a memorial tribute statue to be placed at the far west end of the island. Potential subjects for the memorial naturally included Cadillac and others of historic importance. A decision was not reached and the funds were never appropriated. When an irascible and combative gambler named James Scott left his entire fortune for a monument to himself in 1910, the city first recoiled at the source of the donation, but then went ahead with the project. Roughly 90 of the nation's leading architects submitted designs, and Cal Gilbert produced the winning entry."

The book is a great read and it has a lot of older pictures of Belle Isle.

Peterhuntprincess
Username: Peterhuntprincess

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was there a tunnel under that original bridge? My mom said they used to take the tunnel to Belle Isle.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No tunnel to Belle Isle. Perhaps she's referring to the tunnel under Jefferson that once connected the Boulevard to the B.I. Bridge.

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you saying that the tunnel under Jefferson is no longer there?
With the "Do not sound horn" sign that reminded everyone to blare their horn going thru?

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 891
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its been gone for years now.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 363
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have postcards that have small passenger docks at the foot of each end of the bridge. The Island side was below the bridge and the land side was above. The land side also had a boat going to Klinks Inn near the Grosse Pointe lighthouse.