Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Vintage Kodachrome Collection of Detroit by MikeG » Vintage Kodachrome - Northland Shopping Center, 1954-1968 « Previous Next »
Archive through October 20, 2008Whittier7030 10-20-08  10:24 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2005
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are no Eastland photos in the collection of Kodachrome slides that I have been digitizing and uploading.

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember those dinos at Northland.Worked my first job outside of the family at Bressler's ice cream at Northland,1972.Does anyone remember all the "cool kids" that hung out in front of the dime store back in the late 60s?This would have been Kresges,spelled wrong I'm sure.

Onthe405
Username: Onthe405

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whittier70. Some vintage photos of Eastland from the WSU archive site:

Exterior of 8 Mile entrance to JL Hudson (Lion & Mouse sculpture are visible in the distance)

One of the courtyards shortly after completion (probably around 1959). "Kitty Kelly" eventually moved across 8 Mile into a larger stand-alone store.

The copper fountain (replete with lily pads) just outside JL Hudson

Fountain/sculpture and "Winkelman's" logo visible in this courtyard view.

Onthe405

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking west across the parking lot toward Kelly Rd (note all of the open land surrounding the shopping center!)

The annual "Easter Parade" fashion show (probably ca 1960). "Sanders" & "Macauley's" signage are recognizable in the background.

Line up for children's polio vaccine in the lower concourse. "McDevitt's" stationary signage visible to the right.

Kensingtony
Username: Kensingtony

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last shot is the downstairs concourse where there was a barber shop,a stamp and coin shop,a post office branch(which just closed a few weeks ago),a women's hair salon,and across the other corridor from Mc Devitt's was Palmer's sandwich shop(whose house the now ex wife and I bought from the estate in 1987 and where I still reside).

Onthe405

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kensigtony

Thanks for the refresher. In retrospect, I do recall the USPS & coin shop being down there. I vaguely remember a scissors/cutlery store being down there at one time too.

Does anyone know whether there are still leased retail stores in the lower concourse today? -and- whatever happened to the lower level (basement) retail area at the former Kresge & Sanders spaces? They both had escalators going down to a lower floor.

PS. Sorry, MikeG, I didn't mean to threadjack your beautiful Kodachrome photos of Northland. I simply intended to supplement, since you don't have any pics of her sister to the east.

(Message edited by onthe405 on October 22, 2008)

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1620
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Onthe405, I am sure I speak for Mikeg when I say your contribution to the subject is pertinent and welcome. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and memories with us.

Mikeg

Post Number: 2021
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a threadjack at all - if there had been any Eastland photos in this collection of slides they would have been included as part of this thread, so your contributions are appropriate and appreciated.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 824
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg, many thanks for the photos.

I always look for pics of my folks in many of the threads. I looked at this one in detail, as Lodgedodger's Mother worked in shipping and receiving at Northland Mall.

Big hug to you.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1775
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved the courtyards at Northland...I well remember the 5-7-9 shop there.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 440
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Onthe405, thanks for the addition of the great photos!

I must say every time I see your handle, "Onthe405" I am grateful for the fact that I no longer live in Marine Del Rey and have to travel down to Orange County everyday on the 405!

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenginstony.....
.....that "lower concourse" doesn't seem correct to me. Isn't it a shot of the shopping corridor behind the Kroger store?

Strikes me there were two "lower concourse's" at Northland. One had a shoe repair shop, a meeting room for a bridge club, and The Salt Celler, a "teen" meeting area run by the Lutheran Church. The second had meeting rooms and the shopping center offices.

In 1966, Northland was open from noon to 3 on Good Friday, and Tre Ore services were offered every half hour in one of the meeting rooms. I remember we were instructed to tell customers that "....yes, the store has offered us time off to go to the services if we wish....."

Onthe405

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Douglasm, that's definitely the lower concourse at Eastland. I recall the layout and the McDevitt's store vividly. The concourse (was/is?) very small and only accessible from the outer shopping center itself.

Before the center was enclosed, the escalator was encased in glass to protect it from the elements. For many years "Santa's House" was stationed right next to it. Of course, after the enclosure, it just became an escalator down within the mall.

I could never figure out why the architects didn't just connect it with the adjacent JL Hudson's Budget Store/basement (a la Toronto). It seems this would have generated more foot traffic and another exit/entrance for JLH. Perhaps it was a structural issue or someone else could shed some light.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 311
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg, thank you so much for taking the time to do this! Those blues (as in the sky) are so rich and clear, it's like being there.

Every photo is a treasure. Group hug!

Mikeg

Post Number: 2029
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crystal,
The colors are still vivid after all these years because the photographer chose to use Kodachrome film, which uses a unique process to develop the film and results in stable colors with saturated hues. The bright blue sky was undoubtedly obtained through the use of a polarizing filter on the camera lens.
When I saw the high quality and true colors of these slides, I knew my scanning efforts would be well worth the time spent and that they would be well-received here.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2501
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a kodakchrome slide of my Mom, Brother and Sister at Northland, same vantage point as yours of October 1965.

Northland

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 283
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez, how clean everything is, no litter and the trash receptacles not overflowing. Or did I miss something? Oh where, oh where did I park my wayback machine.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1982
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michmeister, remember this was prior to the proliferation of fast food establishments and bad manners. If you ate at the mall, it was at a lunch counter, not out of a paper cup that you carried with you.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 7544
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first regional shopping center in the United States is Northland. The first major post World War II retail development in the Detroit suburbs is Northland. Started in 1952, and opened March 22, 1954, the JL Hudson Company had spent $30,000,000 in construction. The architect is Victor Gruen, whose vision is the wedding of the automobile age to shopping. Thus, nine surface parking lots on 60 acres. Up from Detroit comes the John C. Lodge Expressway, and with it, the 2 million residents pouring in.

The JL Hudson store, still Macy's largest in Michigan, was built on 4 "levels", a new word for "stories". In its first year, Northland Hudson's grossed $88,000,000! So popular was Northland, Christmas patrons lined up for 3 miles in cars awaiting parking spaces.

Northland's opening was featured in Wall Street Journal, Newsweek, Life, Look, and the Ladies Home Journal. Architectural magazines reviewed the landscaping, the fountains, the modern buildings, the sculptures.

Hudson's and 100 tenants operated there. Some of the names included Hughes and Hatcher, Baker Shoes, Himelhochs, Winklemans, Kresge, Sanders, Robinson Furniture, Better Made Potato Chips and Krogers. Nice restaurants and delicatessens.

Services abounded such as a bank, post office, infirmary, office for lost children, and free gasoline for those running low. Hudson's cranked out embossed green metalic credit cards like gum drops, and high school girls took pride in carrying them with daddy's credit.

Gruen also built Eastland shortly there after for the Hudson's. He built Chicago's Randhurst and the Cherry Hill Mall in New Jersey.

In 1974, Northland was enclosed. Gone were the open outside spaces, the benches, the fountains, and sculpture gardens in favor of protection from the natural elements originally built. Added were space for JC Pennys and Montgomery Wards. In 1991, a Food Court was added.

jjaba recalls the sleek Krogers in the Greenfield Avenue parking lot, out back.
Groceries were loaded into bins and placed on conveyer belts. The customer would then drive their car to the end of the belt where carryout clerks would load them into waiting cars. It was the retail metaphor to the auto assembly line of which every Car Shop John was familiar.

jjaba, research dept.

Onthe405

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing at all against the ingenuity, beauty, and significance in the Detroit area of the Gruen designs of Northland & Eastland, but this myth that it was "the first regional shopping center in the USA" seems to live on, even though it isn't true.

"Crossroads of the World" in (at that time suburban) Hollywood, CA opened almost 20 years earlier. One could argue that it didn't have an anchor store like the Gruen centers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C rossroads_of_the_World

That said, Lakewood Center (still 90+% leased today) in Lakewood, CA had 2 anchors when it opened three years before Northland in 1951. Many claim Gruen derived his designs from this regional shopping center.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L akewood_Center

Technically, there is probably another center somewhere else that preceded these two.

The overall trend of post-WWII auto & suburban home ownership created a simultaneous explosion in cities all across the country. Northland was certainly part of that trend, but didn't navigate uncharted waters.

(Message edited by onthe405 on October 24, 2008)

(Message edited by onthe405 on October 24, 2008)

Jjaba

Post Number: 7548
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba cannot dispute your facts, Onthe405.

But, there must be some reason all 2 million Detroiters at the time in 1954 thought Northland was the beginning of something.

The Plaza in Kansas City predates all three of the shopping centers discussed.

But, Northland is touted as a first. We know it was suburban, perhaps that's the difference. Dig deeper for us and report back. Thanks.

jjaba, riding bike to Northland on James Cousins Parkway, 1954.

Douglasm

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bad on the Eastland call......

In my infinate wisdom, I got Eastland and Northland mixed up.

Jjaba

Post Number: 7552
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another Northland invention was a dedicated bus lane access in the front of the center. DSR chose the Dexter bus to extend to Northland.
Thus, a bus from Downtown Detroit could roll all the way through the city out Cass Avenue, West Grand Blvd. Dexter Blvd. W. Outer Drive and out Greenfield to Northland. Detroit shoppers and Detroit workers could ride the Dexter.

For the most part, although not exclusively, in 1954, most DSR buses terminated at Detroit City Limits. This would have been the very first bus ride for jjaba out to a suburban location.

jjaba on the Dexter bus.

Douglasm

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba....
.....the only Greyhound Surburban/Great Lakes Transit service to Northland was the 9-Mile route, correct?

Last but was at about 6:30pm. I could get to work, but not home.....

Jjaba

Post Number: 7560
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba is not familiar with Greyhound at Northland. Sorry.

jjaba, on the Dexter pulling into Northland.

Douglasm

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess that's what I get for growing up in Ferndale.....

Jimb
Username: Jimb

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, funny you should mention that bus that went from downtown to Greenfield. My brother went to school at Wayne State 69-72 or so, he was just telling me the other day about how he would take that very bus back home from school sometimes. He mentioned all those streets you mentioned. We lived near Greenfield and Grand River, he would get on the bus by the Wayne campus, the bus would drop him off at Greenfield right by Outer Drive, where he then got a transfer for the Greenfield bus. He mentioned another route that was very similar but would drop him off by 6 Mile rather than O.D.

Jjaba

Post Number: 7568
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimb, those were the days my friend, we thought they never end.
We'd sing and dance forever and a day...

jjaba, on the Westside on The Dexter bus.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1643
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the Capitol Park thread https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/158984.html?1225118168 Patrick posted a link to Wayne State http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?q1=capitol+p ark&rgn1=vmc_ti&op2=And&q2=&rg n2=vmc_ti&type=boolean&c=vmc&g =photojournalism&view=thumbnai l. In the second photo from the left, top row, is a photo with the store front of Harry Suffrin. Is this the same Suffrin mentioned above by Larryinflorida and Jcole?

Jjaba

Post Number: 7579
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Harry Suffrin had stores downtown and in the suburban regional centers. Later, they merged with Hughes and Hatcher. Both were retailers of fine men's wear.

One of the stores got robbed, and as Pincus Fishbein ran out chasing the thief, a cop spotted trouble and as they ran, Pincus yelled,
"Shoot him in the pants, the coat belongs to me.!"

jjaba, Downtown Memories, 1953.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1646
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that antidote, Jjaba!

Bullet, LMAO in the H H & S on the eastside since 1955.

Jjaba

Post Number: 7582
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet, where was HH&S on the Eastside in 1955?

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 662
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Mom used to take me to Hughes&Hatcher when I needed "good clothes". Good thing I can still wear most of the clothes today. I,d love to see a photo of the Haunted House at Northland before they enclosed it.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2508
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: One of the stores got robbed, and as Pincus Fishbein ran out chasing the thief, a cop spotted trouble and as they ran, Pincus yelled,
"Shoot him in the pants, the coat belongs to me.!"

A few years later Pincus Fishbein had a small fire in the store. While the insurance company was rebuilding the store and replacing the stock Pincus took his family on a nice vacation in Miami Beach, Florida.
When he got there he was surprised to see Sol Greenberg, who owned a furniture store on Grand River. Pincus asked "Sol, so what are you doing here in Miami Beach Florida during your busy season"? Sol told him that there had been a fire at the furniture store and that while the insurance company was rebuilding the store and replacing the stock he was taking his family on a little vacation.
A short while later they ran into Irving Levine, a furrier from Pittsburg they had both met at the same resort in previous years. Pincus asked Irving "So Irv, what are YOU doing here during your busy season"
Irv replied "we had a flood in Pittsburg and the whole store was ruined, floorboards warped, just ruined. I'm down here on vacation while the insurance company rebuilds the store"

After a prolonged silence Pincus asked:

"So Irv, how do you start a flood"?

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^
My lawyer told me the same story a few years ago, substitute tornado in Iowa and how do you start a tornado?
(Bad joke/timing on his part, my business had burned down, the business was eventually replaced as well as the attorney)

Kensingtony

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba,I don't know where it might have been in 1955,but in the 60s there was a HHS(later just HH) on the east side of Mack just south of Moross.I still have a shirt from there!

Kensingtony

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba,I don't know where it might have been in 1955,but in the 60s there was a HHS(later just HH) on the east side of Mack just south of Moross.I still have a shirt from there!

Jjaba

Post Number: 7588
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kensingtony, but your handle is Westside.
We got guys over here named Kensington Tony.
One of those worked on FIATs. Fix It At Tony.

jjaba thanks the jokers. After selling pants, Pincus Fishbein took it easy and was elected Governor of Michigan. You might remember him as Soapy Williams.

jjaba.

Mackenzie68
Username: Mackenzie68

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why did Jjaba's Dexter bus always leave Northland before my Greenfield bus did? And why was it often quicker to walk from Greenfield all the way to Ward on Plymouth? Some days we never saw the bus, sometimes we got to use our transfers to ride a stop or two. Hudson's offered "Charm School" on Saturday mornings, educating the beginnings of a great herd of mall rats.

Was there anything better than the #1 Special at Brothers? And what was the name of the office supply store nearby?

And on another topic, when did Crowley-Milner shorten their name?

No prizes given, just contemplating. And remembering seeing Dionne Warwick in the dime store there one day in 1967. I smiled, so did she and then she motioned "Shhh."

Jjaba

Post Number: 7589
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The #1 special was the Uncle Milton Berle. A pile of pastrami, a slice of imported swiss cheese, swab of Russian Dressing, on rye. Unlimited pickles and sour tomatoes on the table. Pickles, full or half-sour. Wash it down with a cold Vernor's, and a side of creamy cold slaw.
No that's fressing.

The Dexter bus is a main line through bus from Downtown Detroit to Northland. You might remember the marker, "DEXTER THROUGH."
jjaba doesn't know the Greenfield line.
When Detroit had 2 million people, when Hudson's went suburban, people rode buses.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Mackenzie68
Username: Mackenzie68

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New pickles, my favorites. But I think the #1 was corned beef, not pastrami. Breadbasket has it as a #17 and a half. It doesn't taste exactly the same, but memory plays tricks. Brothers cut them in three pieces, dad always ordered four sandwiches. One for him, for mom and for me and we split the fourth one.

Northland, where I learned to look for bargains and admired the store decorations. And where I got my hair "done" at the Artiste for special occasions.

I still like buses, they just don't go where I want to anymore. Not smart.

Kensingtony

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kensington Avenue is in what's now referred to as East English Vilage-most definitely East Side.I become,with a few exceptions, perplexed in the city when I cross Woodward.

Jjaba

Post Number: 7590
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kensingtony, there are no exceptions when jjaba isn't perplexed on the EASTside. That's just a fact of life in Detroit.

jjaba knows to check the oil, check the tires, fill the gas tank, bring a jug of water, and pack a lunch for any trip to the Eastside.

That's the onliest way to go. And even at that, there is considerable risk involved.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't we all just get along?

Bearinabox on the 14 Crosstown, riding back and forth across Woodward to his heart's content.

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember when Northland WASNT open on Sundays & our dads taught us how to drive the family car(ours was 1955 Chrysler Windsor Deluxe) on Northlands parking lot? I also remember seeing avery past his prime Sugar Ray Robinson who had set up a trailer & ring on the parking lot training for a fight at the Olympia. Very sad sight.

Jimb
Username: Jimb

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never drove in the lot while learning, but I was in the car one time when my either my mom, brother or sister was learning to drive in the Northland lot. My parents (and older siblings) moved to Detroit from NY in 1958, never had drivers licenses in NY, just used mass transit. Brothers and sisters got their licenses as they got old enough, mom decided to get hers in 68 or 69 (man was she scary for a few years, but I'll give her lots of credit for doing it). I still remember being driven around that big, huge, empty lot. Don't remember who was doing the driving. One of my oldest brothers was teaching someone. Dad never did get his license. Took the Grand River bus downtown to work, got rides when he needed one.

Onthe405

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those shopping centers served as a student driver's range for many a teen. By the time I learned to drive Oakland, Eastland, & Northland were already open Sun. My Dad & I went to the Somerset parking lot, as it was the last major center to open on Sunday.

Drifting a bit off-topic, but speaking of pre-1970s society, the stores were closed because it was considered a sin to shop on Sunday. Interesting that you don't hear much railing about that from the right-wing evangelicals who decry "moral relativism". Of course, shopping doesn't (usually) involve sex, so it's no surprise.

Jjaba

Post Number: 7596
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Sabbath is celebrated on several days in USA so Sunday is no longer the onliest day for Sabbath. Ofcourse, on jjaba's Dexter Blvd., Sunday was a huge shopping day.

jjaba, pulling a pickle out of the bottom of the barrel at Grunt's Market.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 669
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having not been by Northland in awhile, I,ve been past there twice in the last week.Jjaba knows bout EASTSIDE trips, 8MI is 1/2 gone so I take 10mi west to Mound, SAID TO MYSELF "Damn Eastside too much traffic" Haven,t step foot in Northland in almost 20YRS. Next trip out that way maybe.

Jjaba

Post Number: 7599
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba rode Eight Mile Road from Grosse Pointe recently looking for Marshall Mathers. What he found was a total mess of construction on the Eastside, and ease of travel on the Westside.

At Woodward Avenue, there's a dandy sign. First one to report back with its contents wins jjaba trivia prize.
jjaba.

Kensingtony

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last I heard was that Marshall Mathers was ensconced in a gated community in the northern suburbs.
BTW,he used to babysit my girlfriend's daughter when they lived in the same trailer park.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 767
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that's definitely a shot of the lower concourse at Eastland.
I work down there, maintain the machines at Chase's automated banking site, which is located pretty much out of the pic, LH lower corner..
They do still lease retail space in the concourse.
Currently there's my Chase site, a hair salon, a jewelry shop, a leather/shoe repair shop, the (empty now) post office, Eastland Security, and mall management offices on the west side of the hall..on the east there's a men's clothing store, a nail salon, and the public restrooms..seems there are a few empty spots on the east side of the hall, but I guess I don't pay much attention, 'cuz I'm not sure.