Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Vintage Kodachrome Collection of Detroit by MikeG » Vintage monochrome - Apologies to Mikeg « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3793
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking at the great vehicle photos posted by Mike (as well as his other HOF threads) reminded me of a small album I put together of some of our old family vehicles. Thought I'd share them with you.

Car 1: Uncle Con Volkert on a 1923 trip to CA.

Car 2: Mom and Aunt Dana. Back of photo says "Rouge Park".

Car 3: Me & my bro. I know what kind of car this one is. Do you? Rear of 13960 Steel.

Car 4: A pre-WWII Ford and Mercury. License plate is a 1943. Rear of 13471 Hazelridge.

Car 5: 1949 Ford, wife's first car. Location is SE corner of Roger and Southfield in Allen Park.
'55 Ford rear end at left.

Car 6: Unknown car with Mom and Aunt Gret on the running board. Location is SE corner of Sorrento and Foley. House in background is still there.

Car 7: About a '41 Ford convertible with my wife and her folks on Hazleridge. Think that's a '38 or '39 Ford in the background.

Car 8: Dad's 1936 Hudson Terraplane. I'm in that photo...guess which one I am. Note on back of print says "Oakland County".

Car 9: Maternal grandmother faking a pose. She never drove. License plate says 1927. Unknown location.

Car 10: Last one. Dad's 1940 Chevy. Location Grand Rapids. Dad was an auxillary police officer with GRPD until the war, when we moved back to Detroit.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2019
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great shots and memories, even if they weren't on Kodachrome!

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 243
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pics. Your mom is pretty hot.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 310
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are great photos! Thank you for sharing them.

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 956
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aww ray, you sure were a cutie pie. great shots, in fact, the one with mom and aunt dana look kind of bonnie and clydeish (without clyde):-)

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1617
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fantastic series of snaps, Ray1936! I am not a good car person, so I will guess that car No. 3 is a 1940 something Dodge. Is that you on the trike? And yes, your pops was a luck guy with your hot mom :-)

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2020
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's two vintage monochromes from my wife's family album:

Her grandparents on their wedding day, Sept. 1, 1929. The story goes that he picked her up in that car (Ford Model T ?) and drove to the meet the preacher, who married them along the side of the road in Marshall County, Alabama. They were both 17 years old.

wedding day

Here's her grandfather and his daughter (my wife's aunt), circa 1954. Anybody know what make/model that car is?

father and daughter

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the back end of the car above the same as the grill of the other? It's a postwar (late '40's?) Chrysler, isn't it?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3794
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet, yeah, I'm on the trike. And Car #3 is (drum roll, please).....a 1950 Kaiser. I learned to drive in that car. It was a real tank.

Mike, that does look like about a 49 Chrysler...or one of their products.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 977
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936...&...Mikeg
The two of you make detroityes.com a Hall of Fame Web Site

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 215
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

beautiful pictures Ray, I love the pre ghetto glimpse of Hazelridge.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Describing the area as a ghetto is disrespectful and dehumanizing to the human beings who reside in the neighborhood. Ive used the same description and wont do it anymore. Unless we get to know individuals in that area on a personal level or try to make a difference, we shouldnt insult the inhabitants who live on Hazelridge.

Anyways, great pics. Rouge Park back then was way out in the country. Cars with running boards, many women didnt drive back then.

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great photos. History in its purest form.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2027
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

terryh, point taken, not to argue but I decided to look at the DPD Crime map for the last 30 days, don't mean to be a smartypants or to threadjack ...

1/2 mile radius of 13471 Hazelridge, detroit

16 burglaries
10 robberies
6 assaults
9 larcenies
6 auto thefts
2 arsons

http://detroit.mi.crimeviewcom munity.com/wizard.asp

Of, course, if anyone is interested in scaring themselves go to http://www.familywatchdog.us/ enter your address and see how many sex offenders live in your neighborhood.

---
Cool pix Ray, still love that first pic with the Oldsmoile

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, I have done that and it is a real eye opener.....and very disturbing. Sex offenders are in every neighborhood, from affluent on down the line.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 436
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Describing the area as a ghetto is disrespectful and dehumanizing to the human beings who reside in the neighborhood. Ive used the same description and wont do it anymore. Unless we get to know individuals in that area on a personal level or try to make a difference, we shouldnt insult the inhabitants who live on Hazelridge.

Terryh, is this quote a serious comment or is it tongue in cheek?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it interesting to imagine the time when Rouge Park in that photo was still the boonies if you think about it then. There was a small buffer of rural land between it and the city in the early 30s or 20s. To think of it now surrounded by miles and miles of dense urban city yet still there a large open space. Rouge Park sure has fallen on hard times recently and is an often ignored large park in the area. How quickly things change! Think of that photo and say it was 1930. We are about 80 years from then and think of the changes in the landscape from then to now. Also think of the changes from 1930 to 80 years prior! In 1850 settlement in the area was still occuring and the wilderness was just being tamed. Most people do not consider how recently this area has been settled outside of the waterside french settlements. Just my random thoughts looking at those old photos. Thanks a lot for sharing them Ray!

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortalman just a random thought. Dont want to hijack the thread so Ill leave it at that....

I was thinking the same thing Fareastsider...

I like that 36 Hudson Terraplane. Convertibles back then huh?