Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Vintage Kodachrome Collection of Detroit by MikeG » Vintage Kodachrome - Belle Isle, 1952-1959 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2022
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scott Fountain, Sept. 5, 1956

(full size)

Scott Fountain, Sept. 5, 1956

Scott Fountain, May 18, 1958

(full size)

Scott Fountain, May 18, 1958

Marshall Fredericks' wounded gazelle sculpture on the Barbour Memorial Fountain, Sept. 1952.

(full size)

Barbour Memorial Fountain

Canoe Rental building, Sept. 5, 1956

(full size)

Canoe Rental building, Sept. 5, 1956

Fish Pond, Sept. 1955

(full size)

Fish Pond a

(full size)

Fish Pond b

Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory, Sept. 1955

(full size)

Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory a

(full size)

Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory b

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 886
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad it doesnt look like that now. Those are some greats pictures.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3347
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 5:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice pics ! the Coy pond is certainly thriving in that photo.

is the gazelle supposed to be "wounded" ? I though it was just in a dynamic pose.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1621
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. The best of the bunch!

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6766
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Levi Barbour Fountain (the gazelle) is a awesome piece of sculpture, and is hands down my favourite Marshall Fredericks work.

There is a second copy of the work at Brookgreen Gardens in South Carolina.

Mikeg

Post Number: 2023
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

is the gazelle supposed to be "wounded" ? I though it was just in a dynamic pose.

Several on-line articles, including this one, make reference to the "wounded gazelle":
In 1936, in the midst of the Great Depression, Marshall Fredericks won a national competition to design a sculpture for the garden area on Belle Isle in front of the Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory. His wounded gazelle, a 16 foot bronze statue leaping in a simple fountain in the center of a formal garden, started the city's long love affair with the artist.

The island's grandiose Scott Fountain attracts much attention, but Fredericks' more humble work, named The Levi L. Barbour Memorial, inspires visitors to pose with the beautiful beast.....

Photo caption: Fredericks' graceful wounded gazelle at Barbour Memorial Fountain on Belle Isle was designed to salute emigrants to America from Norway.

More information about Levi Barbour and the Memorial Fountain is contained on this page of the book "Art in Detroit Public Places", by Dennis Alan Nawrocki and David Clements. The authors of this piece simply refer to the sculpture as being that of a "spirited gazelle".

My conclusion is that there appears to be no single, definitive description of the gazelle.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 834
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! More beautiful work, Mikeg. I'd like to post a few of my Belle Isle photos later today if you don't mind...

Btw, I don't recall seeing the canoe rental building...is it still there?

Bet some of those fish are still in the koi pond...anyone noticed how large some of them are?

Aiw

Post Number: 6767
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an architectural magazine (Pencil Points, I think...) that has an article about the fountain when it was installed.

I'll have to dig it out and see what it says about the Gazelle.

Mikeg

Post Number: 2025
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lodgerdodger, post away!

I believe that the canoe rental building is long-gone and that it used to stand just to the right of the bridge as soon as you arrived on the island.

I'm just starting to scan eight more slides for this thread. They represent some of the photographer's better Belle Isle flower photos. The should be up shortly and that will conclude my contributions to this thread.

There are a number of 1952-1963 Kodachrome slides taken on the grounds of Cranbrook that will go up as a separate thread in the near future and which will conclude the "Vintage Kodachrome" series of threads.

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful pictures of a beautiful place.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3349
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got my take on the gazelle from Art in Detroit Public Places - which btw is in its third edition now with great updates.

Wondering what the significance of being wounded would be ?

Mikeg

Post Number: 2026
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belle Isle flowers:

March 1956
(full size)

belle_isle_flowers_march1956

April 1956
(full size)

belle_isle_flowers_a_april1956

(full size)

belle_isle_flowers_b_april1956

Sept. 1956
(full size)

belle_isle_flowers_sept1956

Sept. 1957
(full size)

belle_isle_flowers_sept1957

Nov. 1957
(full size)

belle_isle_flowers_nov1957

Feb. 1959
(full size)

belle_isle_flowers_feb1959

April 1959
(full size)

belle_isle_flowers_april1959

Mikeg

Post Number: 2027
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These three photos were not taken on Belle Isle but they fit in well with the others.

Dahlias at the Detroit Zoo:

Sept. 25, 1955
(full size)

dahlia_detroit_zoo_25sept1955

Sept. 30, 1962
(full size)

dahlia_detroit_zoo_30sept1962

Columbine, J.L. Hudson's, June 9, 1983
(full size)

columbine_jl_hudson_store_detroit_09june1983

Aiw

Post Number: 6769
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, from the February 1937 issue of Pencil Points, in an article entitled: The Levi L. Barbour Memorial Fountain

quote:

The central figure, which he (Fredericks) did in green bronze in contrast to the black Mellen Granite of the basin and smaller figures, represents a leaping gazelle caught in its most significant and beautiful movement. For the smaller figures Fredericks adapted four of the animals native to the territory, using two each of the predatory and non-predatory groups to show their beauty.

Here are a couple of shots from the copy in South Carolina:

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg again, a thousand thanks for all of the provided information pertaining to the photos posted in the wonderful "Vintage Kodachrome" run. These shots represent the enduring quality of the slide medium itself. Also, one cannot forget the sharp eye of the photographer, and the not-so-obvious fine camera and camera lens that were chosen for these outstanding floral images. A+ work, and a gold star too!