Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Bowling Alleys » Archive through September 29, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2020
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It started out with predominantly Metro Detroit so they are mostly from the 60's 70's. Over the years I've had people give me their collections, so they are from all over the world. I do have about 50 of the Detroit area a friend gave me when his father passed away from the 30's 40's places that were gone before I was born in 56'.

I estimate there's about 10,000 in all and have thought about getting rid of them over the years,but now I'm glad I didn't because they've served as a small piece of history of Detroit's past.

Bowldetroit
Username: Bowldetroit

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro...any matchbooks from Parkway Lanes in Trenton, Hazel Park Bowl, Harbor Lanes in St. Clair Shores or Wayne Bowl you would part with? Those are the centers I work for. Or Ambassador Lanes where I grew up? Thanks

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 176
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beacon Recreation on Vernor near Dix. The building's still there.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bowldetroit: Thank you, thank you! I have been trying to think of my childhood bowling alley for a long time, and when I saw the clip from the telephone book--Monte Carlo Lanes on Plymouth!(it says Mont Carlo, but I believe it was really Monte Carlo). At any rate, I am very thankful!

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2021
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bowldetroit: E-mail me at kegler2@netzero.com

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9936sussex, glad it helped. I too remember it as Monte Carlo, not Mont Carlo

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 596
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey bowldetroit? was livonia lanes located where eastside marios is at now?

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes it was

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember Northlanes, Southlanes, Bowl-a-rama. All were owned by Great Lakes who also owned Cloverlanes which is still operating.

Reddog289

Post Number: 599
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Uncle never had much to say about Bowl-r-RAMA,But he,s fickle when it came to bowling alleys. I remember from the outside, it,s now a post office i belive.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7778
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder why there are no new bowling alleys being built in the Metro-Detroit area in 40 years?

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 279
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Did anyone see Van Dyke Lanes on Kitchen Nightmare's on Fox last night?"

Yes, it was Pioneer Lanes for awhile. The original Van Dyke Lanes or Van Dyke Rec was in Detroit on Van Dyke 5 blocks south of 7 Mile Rd. When Pioneer opened up around 1968 most of the equipment like ball returns and other machinery were courtesy of the old Palace Lanes in Detroit(Gratiot near Forest)that had closed about 1967. Palace Lanes was legendary in Detroit bowling circles because it was home to the Stroh's teams of the 1930's and 1940's with Joe Norris and Fred Wolf to name a few.

Reddog289

Post Number: 605
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not in Detroit, but i do recall as a teen my Dad [STEP DAD] said "lets go Bowling". Ended up at Super Bowl in Canton. We get there and the house pro was Billy G. DAD gets excited,Billy G tries to teach us how to bowl, Dad buys brand new LT48 ball and one for Mom both get used at max 5x. I have at least 5 bowling balls will have 6 when i bring home the LT48 AND WILL STILL USE A HOUSE BALL. But i always look for defunct lane house balls. Amazing what i,ve seen.

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 280
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We get there and the house pro was Billy G. DAD gets excited,Billy G tries to teach us how to bowl"

The legendary Billy Golembiewski was out in Canton ? Interesting.. Back in the early days of the PBA tour Billy was still based in Detroit and lived on the east side in the Harper & Conner area. He often bowled at Conner Rec. and Chandler Lanes on Harper.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7780
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Calquial, Is Pearce Recreation now called Biddle Bowl? That bowling alley is up in running with those old wooden lanes and lots of fun bowling leagues.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 308
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How old can wooden bowling lanes get before they are un-bowlable? After so much annual sanding-down and re-coatings, they are bound to be sanded thin and unusable.

Caquail
Username: Caquail

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny,
Pearce closed in 1968, the city built Yack Arena on the parking lot the most of my grandfather's customers used, the leagues started moving to South Lanes in Southgate which had free parking and more lanes. My grandfather also did not own the liquor license and bar which made things even more difficult. Last time I was in Wyandotte the building was being used as a restaurant. I have never heard of "Biddle Bowl" only other Bowling alley I know of in Wyandotte was the Pennsalt Club.

Regards
C.A.Quail

Lpg
Username: Lpg

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Biddle Bowl is on Biddle north of St. John.
Pennsalt Club closed this spring.

Lpg
Username: Lpg

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have any information on my above post ??
Penguin Bowling and Springwells Recreation was where my father bowled in the late 40's. He bowled on the Michigan Malleable Iron Company team.

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bowled at Biddle a couple years ago on an every other Sat. league. Pretty neat place, same family has owned it for over 50 years. The little bar has some great prices :-). They have Brunswick A2 pinsetters and I believe Qubica automatic scoring. The shot was tough. I would recommend stopping in if you like old school centers. The only disappointment was that they had new scoring system, I was hoping for Telescores and wax pencils! 708 Biddle Ave. Wyandotte, MI 48192. 734-283-0660

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2345
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame's old bowling lane. What was his handicap.

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know where Bob Strampe is living? Also, anyone know of any Strohs members team shirts for sale?

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 281
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Anyone know where Bob Strampe is living? Also, anyone know of any Strohs members team shirts for sale?"

The last time I purchased a bowling ball from Strampe's shop in Fraser, Bob had already retired following his wife's death. I believe the guy running the shop said that Bob was living in the Saginaw area. However, this was in the late 90's. I remember Bob had a picture in his shop of a trophy presentation from a tournament he won and a tight end for the Chicago Bears by the name of Mike Ditka was standing next to Bob wearing a suit.

Is Jim Strobl still involved with Thunderbowl ? I heard Joe Strobl died about 5 years ago. I don't know if Joe actually had anything to do with Thunderbowl. I wonder what Jim's reaction is when somebody mentions 6 Mile and Hickory.

Reddog289

Post Number: 610
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that the Manoogian Mansion bowling lane? If it is I,ll run for Mayor of DETROIT.

Mikefive
Username: Mikefive

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim strobl gave up his interest in thunderbowl to his brother tom. He only is associated with royal lanes now

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 282
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reddog289,
Did you see my previous post where I responded to your post ? I forgot to ask how long ago was that when you saw Billy Golembiewski in Canton ?

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 283
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Jim strobl gave up his interest in thunderbowl to his brother tom. He only is associated with royal lanes now"

Interesting because his dad owned Royal Lanes in Detroit during the 60's which was around E. Warren and Alter Rd. I know this is probably the Royal Lanes on Dequindre between 8 and 9 mile in Warren.

(Message edited by Whithorn11446 on September 29, 2008)

Reddog289

Post Number: 611
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whit11446, I,D have to ask my Dad but my memory says it was the mid 80,s when we met Billy G. My DAD was in awe meeting him, super nice guy. too bad i had no clue of who he really was. As for BillyG being out in Canton giving free bowling lessons haven,t a clue. BUT in my long windedness i,ve driven by Ford Lanes 5X this weekend and Wayne Bowl twice, time i go bowling.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8890
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 3:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Kwame's old bowling lane. What was his handicap."

Uh, his ego perhaps?

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 309
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 6:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The walls right on both sides of the Manoogian Mansion bowling lane will certain cure you of any "body english" habits you have!