Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Large archways across Detroit streets....What were they?? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bc_n_dtown
Username: Bc_n_dtown

Post Number: 86
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was browsing through a number of photos from the DPL's "Early Detroit Images from the Burton Historical Collection" web-site and ran across what I first thought was a rather unusual sight in Detroit. But after viewing a number of photos of these structures they appear to have been more common here during the late-1800s—early-1900s than I initially thought.

I'm referring to what were called "arches" that were erected across such major streets as Woodward, Jefferson and Fort Street. What were these humongous structures? They appear to have some military significance of some sort because some had names like "Arch of War" "Triumphal Arch" and "Arch of Peace."

Does anyone know if these were permanent structures or just temporary, and if temporary, how long and for what occasion? I'm assuming here that they WERE temporary, but these multi-story high structures appear to have been constructed with too much detail for just a short period of time. One photo even shows the streetcar overhead wiring running underneath the archway.

A search on their web-site reveals a number of these huge structures across the city. Can anyone provide any information on these archways?

Here are a few examples of what I'm referring to......
WOODWARD near GD CIRCUS PARK (c. 1891)

JEFFERSON AVENUE (1891)

WOODWARD AVENUE

The arch in this photo even made provisions to accommodate the overhead wiring for the electric streetcars that ran along that three-track rail layout along Woodward Ave., just south of Jefferson.
see WOODWARD near RIVER

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 184
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forumers (if that's a word) correct me if I'm wrong but I think those are temporary structures for the G.A.R. when they came to Detroit.

G.A.R.
Grand Army of the Republic

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3359
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The GAR regularly met in various cities for parades etc. 1891 they came to Detroit - and the "triumphal arches" were erected for the event. It would appear that they existed for several years afterward.
(This is DETROIT - Quaife / White 1951 Wayne University Press)

This book (awesome if you can lay your hands on one btw) also shows exactly the same type of arch was erected in Del Ray for entryway to The Detroit International Fair, 1889 - 1892. This arch also is higher than surrounding (telephone? electrical ?) poles - probably close to two stories tall. Small trees planted on top (precursor to Detroits "roof trees" ? lol)

These things seem all the rage back then. Not very elegant.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3360
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and if I am not mistaken, these arches are Roman in origin, but the most famous one in modern history was commissioned by Napoleon. (Arc de Triomphe, 1806)

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 445
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone has pictures of those "arches",Bc_n_dtown, I'm sure it would be Mauser765 and they'll be great pictures, too!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5450
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool, I had never seen photos of this.

That one arch is sitting there saying "WELCOME!" right where Joe Louis' fist now rests (a cool but not so welcoming monument.)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5482
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

interesting - it's an image from the Burton Collection on a UMich website - is this a new collaboration?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3803
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, did anyone else notice Mikeg and his camera getting ready to document old Detroit? :-)

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 677
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am curious about this GAR event in 1891. My great-great grandfather (Frank Bieke) served in the First Michigan Light Artillery, Battery A. He lived in Detroit and died in 1892. Nobody in the family can find any photos of him anymore. I am thinking there must be some photos of him somewhere from the 1891 GAR reunion. It seems like an event this big would have a lot of photos, brochures, programs, etc., that survive. Does anyone know where to find out more about this event?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2039
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936,
Here I am in action - setting up a shot!

setting up a shot

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 415
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice irony mauser...good point.
apologies ^^^^^^ MACKINAW was ironic

in grand settings, i think they're pretty cool...yes, maybe clumsy...but very civic...and of course TRIUMPHAL!!!

I used to live a few blocks from the pretty amazing Grand Army Plaza in dear old Brooklyn, NYC

http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub .com/bigmap/brooklyn/prospectp ark/grandarmyplaza/index.htm

(Message edited by detourdetroit on October 25, 2008)

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2830
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great shots of the park, Detourdetroit.

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 93
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arches like these were pretty standard throughout the country for parades and yes, especially the G.A.R. from the late 1800's and into the mid 1900's. These are some of the largest and most elaborate ones I've seen though.

Ray1936

Post Number: 3804
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

." My great-great grandfather (Frank Bieke) served in the First Michigan Light Artillery, Battery A."

Frank, send for the records of Frank at the National Archives. Start the search by going to www.nara.gov and find the (Adobe) forms to fill out to obtain his SERVICE and PENSION records. They are two different animals and you'll want both. The Pension records will be of the greatest genealogical value. It costs a few bucks, but it is well worth both the cost and effort, believe me.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those arches are pretty amazing. Even if they were supposed to be temporary, I bet they could have lasted many MANY years... Just look at the Eiffel Tower. I think those arches are way cool, they make the streets seem much more elegant.

Detourdetroit

Post Number: 416
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Andylinn...although I think in the case of a lot of these structures, they were temporary, built out of staff...lathe, straw and plaster... similar to the fantasculous imagineering of the burnhams of the world during the columbian exposition.

http://tigger.uic.edu/depts/ah aa/imagebase/pbhales/wcewhj1.g if

http://tinyurl.com/6pgf3c

This was really fun...check out the fly-throughs of chicago's lake michigan extravaganza of the 1890s
http://www.ust.ucla.edu/ustweb /Projects/columbian_expo.htm

(Message edited by detourdetroit on October 25, 2008)

Mikeg

Post Number: 2041
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bc_n_dtown,
Per the "description" on that web page, the arch in the "Woodward near River" photo you linked to was built in 1910 for the "Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks" convention that was being held in Detroit.

While browsing the contents of that Collection, I came across another photo that includes a portion of this same arch, but taken from the opposite direction.

Detourdetroit

Post Number: 417
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's a great pic Mikeg...back when global warming probably meant the effects of having just had a big shot of brandy.

back when dear old detroit had density!!! huzzah!!!

Frankg

Post Number: 679
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray thanks for the advice. I already did that some ago. I found out some really interesting things. Like for instance, that he was a blacksmith prior to the war and that was his initial assignment. We also confirmed that he was a bugler, that matched the story of the bugle we used to play with as kids that had been the bugle at Chickamauga (what I wouldn't give for that bugle now!). Also found out he was wounded at Chattanooga and was discharged early because of the wounds. His war records included an interesting letter from the doctor at the hospital in Detroit, recommending his discharge, even though he wanted to get sent back with his unit. Also his widow had pension records that were interesting, too. No photos in his records though!

Ray1936

Post Number: 3806
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, okay, Frank, great! Yeah, no photos ever. Well, keep your fingers crossed and you never know what may turn up on the internet. I posted my story of finding gt gramps CW photo on Ebay two years back, I'll not repeat it here.

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To give you an idea of how elaborate those arches in Detroit are, this is a photo of the kind you saw in most smaller towns. Pretty cheesy in comparison, but these were the norm. This one was made of lumber and cloth.

WWI.gif

This was for soldiers returning from WWI

Dtctygrl
Username: Dtctygrl

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Publication Number: T289
Publication Title: Organization Index to Pension Files of Veterans Who Served Between 1861 and 1900.
Publisher: NARA
State: Michigan
Arm Of Service: Light Artillery
Regiment: 1
Company: A
Name: Bieke, Frank
Date: 18 Jun 1864
State/arm Of Service: Mich. L. A.
Company/regiment: A,1
Collection Title: Civil War Pensions

Frank Bieke

Frankg

Post Number: 680
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you so much ctygrl!

Mikeg

Post Number: 2043
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank,

I just found this Burton 1896 photo montage containing all the members of the Detroit GAR Post #384. It's four years too late for your gg grandfather, but don't give up hope - maybe we can find one from an earlier year that included him.

GAR stone-Michigan War Veteran's Memorial

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5454
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great photo of Jefferson @ Woodward, Mikeg, like Mauser said.

Has any city's physical makeup changed to the extent of Detroit's? Just talking about downtown and central neighborhoods alone...it's amazing how many times they've been rebuilt since they point at which they were first filled-in around the 1880s. There was the 20s boom where stuff was replaced en masse with skyscrapers. The hacking of the 50s with the civic center/freeway/new modernist buildings, and then piecemiel additions and deletions since. Detroit's aesthetic history has got to be one of the most turbulent and fast-changing-- and these changes were the products of both rapid booms and rapid busts.

Mikeg

Post Number: 2044
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the 1891 GAR Post 384 group photo, but he is not in it. Perhaps he belonged to a different GAR post?

Frankg

Post Number: 681
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mike. I am not sure if he was in a post or not, but it just seems like there would have been a registry or group photos taken during a huge event like the one in 1891 that still survive.

I have been in contact with a guy (Matt Switlik) who did his master's thesis about the 1st MI Lt. Art. Batt. A, and he had some photos from a unit reunion in Coldwater a few years before his death, but my g-g-grandfather didn't attend that reunion.

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 86
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...Can't forget this one built in honor of the World War 1 veterans

WSU/VMC

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 600
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are parts of Detroit that look like Europe. Now that I've actually been to Europe I can see the architectural similarities. I hope we keep that essence and not become just another generic McCity. If we had those arches, they'd be a great tourist attraction. Put them on postcards!

BTW: I notice how routinely people moved huge things in days of old. Like these arches, brick buildings and such. And without power tools!

Bc_n_dtown

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to all who've passed along info on this topic. When I came across the first photos of these large arch structures, my first reaction was "WTF are these!?!" (,sorry!). But then I knew that if anyone had the answer, the members here at DetroitYes would come thru.

But I guess I'm missing something here, and maybe it's because my knowledge of Roman history leaves much to be desired, but what was the significance of or the symbolism displayed behind an arch-like structure, and its relation to the military? No deep answer needed, just wondering!

BTW—Mikeg,
great link to that photo showing the Woodward—Jefferson arch from another angle. It really puts the size of those things into perspective.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5117
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Theses GAR events were huge.

Here is a crop and zoom that I dodged and burned of the 1891 parade. The reviewing stand on the right is in front of the Opera House on Campus Martius. The head of the parade can be seen approaching an arch that must have been near Grand Circus Park.

GAR Parade Detroit

Full Image here:
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/i/image/image-idx?id=S-DPA1IC-X-DPA2218%5DDPA2218.TIF

OMG, I love the internet, but it is time trap too. LOL

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 292
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In relation to the GAR, the successor organization is the SUVCW, the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War. Perhaps they may have something that relates to the search for Mr. Bielke?

Here's another arch, not as imposing. Sponsored by a Mabley Company. I wonder if they all were corporate sponsored?

Mabley Arch

Detourdetroit

Post Number: 418
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wikipedia should answer some of your burning triumphal arch questions bc_n_dtown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T riumphal_arch

Bc_n_dtown

Post Number: 88
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks Detourdetroit for the triumphal arch link, interesting.

Hey Lowell, it almost looks like the entire city of Detroit turned out for that GAR parade. LOL

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 610
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People forget that the Civil War almost ended our country. It was a very frightening time. Every one of these veterans saved America and the people who lived through it never forgot it until they all died off. It was the defining event of their generation.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9547
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Mikeg

quote:

Here's the 1891 GAR Post 384 group photo, but he is not in it. Perhaps he belonged to a different GAR post

I was curious about the technique to put that photo together.

That was a great "cut and paste", literally.

Faygoredpop
Username: Faygoredpop

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I purchased this picture from a store in Frankenmuth. This is another pretty arch that was located on Woodward Ave.

On the back of the picture it says "Elks Convention, Woodward Ave., Detroit, c. 1910"

I wish that they would have been permanent arches instead of temporary. Some of these are gorgeous and it would have been nice to of seen them around today.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 295
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks to me that the GAR photo that was shown was remarkably "Anglo-Saxon". I'm sure that Mr. Bielke (German?) wasn't quite in the club. At least not that one, anyway.

I'm sure that with the considerable volume of vets of all social strata that there were multiple clubs in Detroit. Noted a lot of the social elite in that photo.

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 213
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why won't any of these links open??