Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Vintage Kodachrome Collection of Detroit by MikeG » Vintage Kodachrome - Kern Block demolition, 1966 » Archive through October 15, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1942
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 4:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

View from Crowley's, July 1966
(full size)

View from Crowley's, July 1966

Kern Block rooftops, July 1966
(full size)

Kern Block rooftops, July 1966

Demolition close-up, July 1966
(full size)

Demolition close-up, July 1966

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 5:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice work Mikeg! :-)

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2355
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where was kerns located? the site of the compuware building?

Mikeg

Post Number: 1945
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

where was kerns located? the site of the compuware building?

Yes, on the Woodward side of the "Kern Block", which was bounded by Woodward, Gratiot, Farmer and Monroe.

This 1920's image of the Kern Block shows the location of the buildings on that block. In that image, Woodward is on the left and Monroe is on the right. Sam's occupied the old Detroit Opera House.

Zephyrmec
Username: Zephyrmec

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'61 Thunderbird in the foreground!

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1558
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks mike! were you the one taking those pic's? more please!

Mikeg

Post Number: 1947
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

thanks mike! were you the one taking those pic's? more please!

You're welcome, on behalf of the original photographer and a few others who saw fit to preserve these gems and gave their permission to share them with everyone. I'm just the digitizer and while I have a fair knowledge of the old downtown Detroit streetscape, my historical expertise lies elsewhere. Feel free to correct any factual errors or errors of omission that may occur as I post these images.

And yes, there is more to come, on this thread and others.....

Mikeg

Post Number: 1949
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Demolition proceeds into August, 1966.
(full size)

Demolition proceeds into August, 1966.

The Monroe side of the Kern Block is gone, August, 1966. Crowley's Department store building is at right.
(full size)

Looking southwest along Gratiot at Farmer, August, 1966.

Looking southwest along Gratiot at Farmer, August, 1966. The J.L. Hudson Department store building is at right.
(full size)

Looking southwest along Gratiot at Farmer, August, 1966.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3757
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All the ladies are wearing dresses. They look so nice. And no underwear sticking out on the men. Forty years plus sure makes a difference.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 998
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to mention the social equality of the time.... at least it looked nicer huh?

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 543
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The buildings and streets look a heck of a lot cleaner in these photos.

Mikeg -> Keep up the good work!

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1577
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg, the full size hi-rez links are fantastic! Thanks for the extra effort.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 4071
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It never cease to amaze me how together Detroit looked in the day.. I squint to see if I can see my dad as a youth, or a distant relative and wonder, how exciting it was to grow uo in the late forties and fifties...I know the social problems, but somehow the photos capture a time where going downtown was a delightful adventure. Taking in a movie or even a play... you could take a date and walk the streets looking at the lights of the city...at Christmas the trip to Hudson's was more than a shopping spree, it ushered in the season...and brought lasting memories...I could imagine my parents dating in the early fifties....while attending Wayne State and Highland Park Nursing schools...what choices they had to pick from.

.Detroit what a history...and I always love the old photo's ...trying to see the city of my dad's youth.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 359
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Social problems of the 50's mentioned in several posts. I would hazard to say the social problems of Detroit today make those days look great. A lot fewer murders,less fear and more economic prosperity.

Although the city was racially divided (as if it isn't now), there was a vibrant culture in all areas.

Social problems... look around you.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 738
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg-

Great job!

So hard to believe...

<313>

Mikeg

Post Number: 1950
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last wall standing, August 1966.
(full size)

The last wall standing, August 1966.

Looking across the former Kern Block toward the shops and buildings on the opposite side of Woodward, June 1968.
(full size)

Looking across the former Kern Block toward the shops and buildings on the opposite side of Woodward, June 1968.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 413
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice pics! Thanks a bunch. That Spiegel Bldg. should have been a keeper.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 558
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, yeah! No way anything like B.Spiegel could be reproduced today. Even the Vatican is looking for master craftsmen...hard to find them nowadays!

BTW. My mom worked at Kern's. I sent her this link, so if she has any good tidbits, I'll chime in. Thanks so much for the photos!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 638
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 4:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had always heard about Kerns, while I don,t shop alot, except for hardware, food and beer. I am amazed by the number of stores gone from the mix. Love them pix of Kerns, sad i never went there.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 6:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The shot of the last wall standing is iconic.

Budb
Username: Budb

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great stuff !!!
Hi MikeG.....this is your cousin here.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1952
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi cuz - welcome to the forum!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1956
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't it B Siegal's?

Both the department store and the building met terrible demises. I can recall my mother dragging me in there while she looked for clothes. She never bought anything as much of the stuff seemed to be for old ladies. If I am not mistaken the Northland Store closed before this one. When this one closed the only one left was at Livernois and Seven Mile.

The building itself had a facade made of steel. It burned down when some homeless people got in there and set it on fire.

That last pic is the Detroit of my childhood. I can't remember Kerns, but remember all of the other stores downtown. I had regular doctor's appointments as a kid in the Whitney. We would take the bus downtown and it would usually turn into an entire day of wandering in and out of stores.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some questions.

What was the condition of the Kern's building when the store closed? Does anybody have information about the chronology of Kern's closing and the subsequent demolition? Was the demolition of the whole block done pursuant to eminent domain or did the city just buy the properties and knock everything down? Anybody have a Sanborn map of the block? At the time of the demolition, had the city announced any kind of possible redevelopment? (1966 pre-dates all of the failed Cadillac Mall proposals.)

Just curious. Thanks for any info.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1957
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have thought that the Cadillac Mall proposal would have been the reason for its removal. It may have been the predecessor to the one that never was built that led to the demise of Hudsons. The City of Rochester was having success with a similar Mall at theat time between two of its large departments stores. Xerox was also part of that Development. It was called Mid-town mall and it was built by Victor Gruen. I can recall visiting the mall around 1990 to find a strange clock and a monorail set-up in the mall. At that time the mall was still operating but had clearly seen better days.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M idtown_Plaza_(Rochester)

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IIRC, there are images of plans on the Virtual Motor City site of the stillborn Kern Block 1960's development.

Cadillac Mall wasn't announced till about 1978.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1958
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Burnsie, I looked for stuff on the history of it, but surprise there is not much on the Internet regarding the history of 40 year old projects that were never built!

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5948
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3757
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 4:15 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
All the ladies are wearing dresses. They look so nice. And no underwear sticking out on the men. Forty years plus sure makes a difference.

Don't forget to include goverment sanctioned suburban sprawl, poor land use policies and regional political fear mongering...

(Message edited by Detroit_stylin on October 15, 2008)

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1959
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Burnsie, I looked for stuff on the history of it, but surprise there is not much on the Internet regarding the history of 40 year old projects that were never built!

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit_stylin wrote, "Don't forget to include goverment sanctioned suburban sprawl, poor land use policies and regional political fear mongering..."

Do you mean that those things are current only today, or that they were around way back then also? They were, of course.