Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Reading Night at the Georgia Street Garden » Archive through October 20, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, only if I have to go "up and down". I can handle the rest.

Erie,

My son's a born "mini priest" (ask my mom!). I'll have him fling his rosary around for you and yours. It'll be sincere. Not a mean bone in that kid.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 359
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erie: Our thoughts and prayers will be with your hubby throughout his troubles. Please tell him we said hello and we wish him all the best.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3752
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you everyone, we appreciate that.

Mashugruskie - As for flinging the rosary around - sounds good to me. That will certainly get the Good Lord's attention. The efforts from your "mini priest" are greatly appreciated. Just jotted off an email to your mom.

Hey Jams - about the black walnuts...I've got several bags of them on their way to me. My grandma & grandpa had trees in their yard and my grandpa used to deal with them. But I have no idea what to do. You say you've got some curing? How should I handle my incoming supply? I would like to use some in my holiday baking. Will I be able to?

Cub - sorry for my thread jacking, buddy.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 869
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's okay Dearie. Anything about baking is good to me. LOL and I'm serious.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 126
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My prayers are with you and yours Eriedearie.

I can't believe how cool everybody is here. No questions asked, we'll all help!

I've driven by a couple of times, never had the guts to stop and say Hi, one of these days, I guess.

Stromberg2

Cub

Post Number: 870
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guts? You dont need guts. Stop on by. What is there to be afraid of? I am big but friendly LOL.

Cub

Post Number: 871
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its going to be a chilly night but we will still have a movie or two tonight. I will be setting up around 6:00 or 6:30. We will have a bonfire going.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14651
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got the symphony tonight...have fun.

Romeo et Juliet, should be a great time.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, though courage is not required, sometimes to the apprehensive person it is a factor. People willing to admit these fears need conscientious support. That is community.

Blueidone

Post Number: 360
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stromberg...I have to admit I was hesitant at first. But the folks involved in this project are the most caring, sincere group of people I have ever met. Everyone is welcome. You will enjoy being involved, I promise!

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1194
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm blown away every time I pass through this thread. I ALWAYS read something that warms my heart. Blueidone, you just made my day.

Gannon

Post Number: 14655
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Veta,

I fully understand...even walking up to the string fence that first time...the apprehension was palpable.

I mean, Cub is an IMPOSING fellow, I wouldn't have wanted to be forced to line up opposite him on a scrimmage line.

And then he smiled SO wide...it all just broke...all those silly fears and internal anxieties, gone like so much vapor.

This after talking with him HERE and knowing without shadow or doubt that we were brothers-from -different-mothers, spiritually bound.

It is perfectly normal...you're OK. Break the ice, the water IS actually fine underneath.

Cheers!

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And a strong community at that. Supporting each other VOLUNTARILY. My pet name for you guys is "Hidden Treasure".

Blueidone

Post Number: 361
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my past life, I spent 30 years volunteering with a housing cooperative. But over those years, I became aware of the reality that most of the people involved were only in it for what they could personally gain, be it extra services, freebies from management or vendors, the "power trip" that they got from being on the Board of Directors. Over my 30 years of service, my only goal was to provide safe affordable housing for the residents in my housing cooperative; and through service on the Board of a group of cooperatives, for housing all over the country. But in the majority of those folks as well, it was "how can I gain something from this". I left my cooperative 5 years ago vowing never to "waste my time" volunteering again.

Then..along came Cub, PlymouthRes, MrsRes, Gannon and others on this forum who have shown me that there really ARE people out there who will work as hard as they can to improve the lives of others, just because it needs to be done.

I'm not young anymore, and my physical issues prevent me from doing all that I used to be able to do. But my mind still works well, and my fingers still type and I still have some connections who I think can help in this most-worthy endeavor.

I can't thank you people enough for restoring my faith in humanity.

Gannon

Post Number: 14656
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bet Blue?

Ain't a ONE of us that'd take credit for what moves through us, beyond our individual choices to allow the Spirit to move through us. But THAT choice, simple as it may be, is called a LEAP of faith for some reason!

I learned around the time of 9/11, maybe halfway through that fateful day, what 'yielding' to the Spirit meant. Of course, that was not long before I denied a much more huge prompting and rediscovered my mere humanity again. That part took maybe an hour or two after the yielding revelation, but it could as well have been a millisecond.

I know enough of these people to know that something ELSE is going on here...and a few weeks ago, almost a month...we got some weird 'hit' that could've blown the whole thing apart.

It was SO bizarro that I knew it was bigger than any of us...but as far as I can tell, we've weathered it just fine.

There's Something Happening Here, What IT Is Ain't Exactly Clear...

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blue,Thats interesting,I've had the same trouble with npo's.You would think if you where working for free,the greater good would be enough!The"he got a perk and I did'nt" attitude is just crazy! I've talked to cub a few times and got an immediate warm feeling.Its a great project,I look forward to meeting more of you! Dave

Blueidone

Post Number: 362
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon: Reasonable people can work through a situation and get to the other side. Whatever it was, I hope everyone has gotten through it and come out the other side, learning from the experience.

Will be great to see you again...soon, I hope.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 127
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Everyone. I guess my deal is that everyone seems to have something to say, and I usually just listen until something witty comes along. LOL I will get over there next weekend. I'm in Monroe, (Bleh), so gas prices preclude me from coming up as much as I like.

Stromberg2

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9489
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie,
It's messy and a bit arduous, but using your own harvested Black Walnuts in baking or homemade ice cream is worth it.

First, every part of the walnut stains, fingers, clothes, work surfaces, etc. I wear rubber gloves (This year I found out exam gloves are not strong enough, my thumbnails broke through so my thumbs are stained a deep brown for the next month or so), a plastic apron over old disposable clothes, and set a piece of old plywood on a couple of sawhorses for a work table.

Remove the yellow-green husks. I use a old knife to cut down to the shell and twist the husks off the shell. Discard any that contain worms.

Either discard the husks or save for stain or dye. DO NOT add them to compost, they are toxic to most other plants

I then put the husked nuts into a mini-"laundry basket" and wash off all the remaining gook off with a garden hose and nozzle.

To make sure there is a kernel in the shell, I drop them into a bucket of water and dispose of any that float.

To cure, I layer them no more than two nuts high on some old screens I have. They are propped on 2x4s for more air circulation.

In 2 to 4 weeks they should be ready for use. Shell them, if you're going to use them fairly soon, use as is.

If you wish to store them for a longer period, bake them 10-15 minutes at 200-225. Refrigerate in plastic bags for up to 9 months

Or freeze them, no baking necessary, for up to 2 years.

For shelling, a good trick I learned from my next-door neighbor who taught herbal gardening throughout the nation, was to soak the shells for a couple of hours in water prior to hitting them with a hammer. It reduces the shells shattering.(Damn they are HARD!)

(I miss our Sundays together, working in our respective gardens until the late afternoon, cleaning up, and going to a good restaurant for a martini or two before dinner with the right wine she would select. I regret I turned her down when she asked if to celebrate her 72nd year on earth we would hike the Appalachian Trail together. I was a very ambitious 30 something at the time and couldn't afford to "waste" time. I'm now sure I missed the lesson she was trying to teach about life. RIP Mary G.)

Have fun, and all that work will be worth it, when you watch the faces as they taste that wonderful Black Walnut flavour.

ps. 1 lb nuts in shell = about a cup of kernels

(Message edited by jams on October 18, 2008)

Jams

Post Number: 9490
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW with Mary G as my neighbor on one side teaching me about herbal and flower, gardening, my neighbor behind me teaching me about composting and how to best to tend to my grapes, raspberries, and vegetable garden , and my other next door neighbor teaching me about tapping maple trees and rendering it into sugar and syrup, you might think my first home was somewhere out in the country or farm country.

It was in the Old Redford area of Detroit on West Parkway just south of 6 Mile between Lahser and Telegraph.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3756
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams - thank you so much for the information. I've got it printed out. I had no idea that my grandpa went through all that! I know he wore some heavy duty gloves and he had a big stump of an old tree that he would sit in front of and I'd see him cracking the nuts open on that old stump. I think he used a hammer or sledge hammer?

When you say to discard the husks, you mean the yellow-green ones, right? We have a section of land between the road and the field where my husband distributes grass clippings and yard waste. Over the years, it has sort of built up a berm so that if the field behind us floods, the overflow stays off our section of road. Could we put those husks in that area? We don't have any plants or anything back there that would get damaged by them.

Can I freeze them still in the shell, or do they have to be out of their shell?

Oh my! For baking...the taste is remarkable! I had the last few from my grandparents trees about 30 some + years ago. I got this recipe for "Black Walnut Snowball Cookies" out of a cookbook I received as a wedding shower gift. I made those cookies with the last few nuts I had from those trees, and my family still talks about them. I can't wait to bake those cookies again this year.

Oh, and you would not believe how many bags and buckets of them my friend gathered up for me. My grandson and I went and picked them up tonight. My van is "chock full of nuts" - literally! If we're able to get all of them done, I will have a freezer full for a couple of years I think!

I really appreciate your advice on this and will put it to good use. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Sounds like you've learned a lot of things not many city slickers are privy to. You would have made a good farmer, I bet. And you shoulda went on that hike - Lord only knows what Mary G. had wanted to teach you.

Cookin64
Username: Cookin64

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone!!!
I know Cub will be good at this! He is going to be a master at farming and mentoring! I will be there on the weekends putting in my 2 cents...Ha..ha.ha..

Hello Eriedearie!!! How have you and the family been??

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3757
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Cookin64! It's great to see you here :-) I've been wondering 'bout you, if you're still lurkin' and all! hee hee

I'm okay - still hangin' in there - see my above post 3750 for word on Mr. Eriedearie.

So...you putting in your 2 cents? Does that mean you'll be the supervisor! LOL

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 646
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CUB, looks like my future "son in law" So i,m not put off by his imposing looks, he,s a great guy. I wish the son in law would be as productive as Cub is.As i sit here and type i wish that i could get down there more often maybe even show up at reading night.

Jams

Post Number: 9491
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie,
You're very welcome.

Here's an interesting recipe for woodworking stain from the husks I came across.

http://www.gardengrapevine.com /WalnutStain.html

In the past I've used linseed oil but it molded, so I just discarded it.

I've a built-in entertainment center in the basement of my new home that is crying for a replacement of the 1960ish panelling facing.

I'm thinking about trying the recipe and using the stain on a variety of hardwoods to create a new faceplate.

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, you having another movie night this weekend (24-26th)?

In vein of what Res said, I've got a bunch of stuff from a Entrepeneurs Workshop from Wayne State that I could copy for you. There's some good stuff in there for writing business plans, angel investors, etc. There's also a good piece on a place that donates $$ for Social Entrepeneurs, which your community center would be a perfect candidate.

Cub

Post Number: 872
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Viva. I will be out there on the 25th and then on the 29th-30th and 31st. Doing our part for Angels Night. We will have patrols around our part of the neighborhood. We will be grilling some dogs and have some snacks along with a bonfire.
I would welcome any info on writing a business plan. Thank You!

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

excellent. I will be there.

Another good tip is the Open City Detroit web site - they've got a bunch of links for small biz owners. They've also got a meeting this Tuesday at Cliff Bells (http://www.opencitydetroit.com /)

I will copy the stuff I have (sorry it's not in electronic format) and get it to you.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2005
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swung by the Cub-a-Plex today and took a peak at the future home of the community gathering place and Cafe de Cub.

Mama Cub, and some Cubettes were there whipping the place in shape. The building is going to need some work but it was built to withstand a nuclear blast, so some TLC should get it up and going in short order.

But there was another story that needs to be told. Today is bulk pick-up and Cub & Co had hauled a ton of debris to the curb. Sorry to say the bulk Supervisor said he wouldn't pick up the junk because he classified it as hazardous waste. A classic example of a little man with a little power who took delight in being a little prick.

The Supervisor instructed his people to leave it piled on the curb and across the sidewalk. Now, you might wonder why the Supervisor would think it was good idea to leave hazardous waste on the sidewalk, but that would be too sane.

The good part of the story is that once the Supervisor left, a City Sanitation guy showed back up and picked up the junk.

It was great to see a City worker do the right thing, regardless of what his power-drunk Supervisor said.

All-in-all, Cub is doing great work. Stay tune, Cub is going to have a work day for all those interested in doing some good.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 886
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

first there was a garden, then movie night,then reading night .Now there is a building ! You go Cub!