Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » ::: Mayor Kilpatrick Text Message Scandal ::: Mega Thread » Can this idiot really believe what he said???? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tk65
Username: Tk65

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"They're trying to hang him. This to me is no different than the lynchings of the 1950s and 1960s. There is no justice. There should be no peace."

Kilpatrick's uncle, Marvel Cheeks.

Can it get any more disgusting than this? Comparing Kwames lying, theft, and adultery to lynchings? Why is speech like this tolerated by anyone, especially black people. Knowing people exist that think like this makes me sick to my stomach.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 3159
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cheeks-Kilpatrick family know that most Detroiters are ignorant and will react to racism comments.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 388
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Kwame's uncle also posted the same thing on the "Kwame in Court Now" thread:

quote:

WAY TO SHOW YOUR TRUE KKKOLORS! NOW LET THE 'LYNCHING' BEGAN!

blksoul_atcha!

Nothing but blaming others for problems Kwame created.

According to the Detroit News: One person sitting with Kilpatrick's family said, "This might as well be a klan rally."

http://info.detnews.com/redesi gn/blogs/newsblog/index.cfm

These people are unreal. Four months and $1 million restitution is nowhere near what he should get, and still they think he's a victim.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5514
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daddy K. said KK was "railroaded."

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 392
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These people are DELUSIONAL!!!

Choquant
Username: Choquant

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh I see-- now the Kilpatricks are the victims. Very clever!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5516
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, yeah, because Daddy K lost his meal ticket (or at least most of it) when KK stepped down if the rumors are true.

Maybe the rest of the family can squeeze him into some other corner of the family business.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2861
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Contrary to what some people think, a lot of black folks have socially evolved sufficiently enough that they are bored with, or at least do not buy into, the old song & dance where every time a black person gets his or her ass hung out to dry, it's the result of being railroaded by a racist system.
Some black folks even consider it to be undignified, to keep falling back on that routine.
However, as we have seen, dignity is a trait which is not exactly pre-eminent in the Kilpatrick family.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 488
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, many agree, I guess its true about that old expression that a
"drowning man will grab anything, even straw"......

Now the jails got some new dark meat,,,,mm, mm to bubba and his cronies...... Jane

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 372
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'downtown_lady' used my words, 'WAY TO SHOW YOUR TRUE KKKOLORS! NOW LET THE LYNCHING BEGAN', and then proceeded to state...
quote:

I think Kwame's uncle also posted the same thing on the "Kwame in Court Now" thread.

Do you realize that you took my words out of context to try to make some type of point to your buddies on this forum.(shame on you!)...talking about hypocrisy, you are indeed essentially doing what you claim our Mayor perpetrated.__go figure!

blksoul_atcha!
Obama o8'

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 395
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stand by my post.

I understand what you're trying to say -- Kwame's uncle made that statement in regard to the court proceedings, and you made that statement in regard to people on this forum talking about the mayor. Regardless of what the two comments were referring to, you are using the same thinking that they are. It is no different.

Shame on you for comparing this to a lynching. You throwing that word around does a disservice to good people that truly did suffer a lynching.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 235
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminds me of the song "Charlie Brown".
Who me? Yeah you!!!
He's a clown.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 2045
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YOU GONE EAT DAT CONEBREAD.....

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 3160
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone catch what Yatooma said on the news? It was hilarious.

Bernard Kilpatrick: "My son been railroaded by the court system."

Yatooma (Greene family's attorney): "Yeah, Bernard, you're the one driving the train."

LOL

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 856
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot wait until the FEDs begin to indict these arrogant punks.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 615
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cockroaches always freak when you start spraying.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 236
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought they'd need a case of Depends when the judge said the family couldn't use any PAC money.
Attorneys squealed like pigs and they needed a closed session to straighten things out. Hilarious.

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It' is no wonder that KK turned out to be a crook. Look what he had as examples growing up....that warped sense of entitlement runs rampant through his whole family. I know that if I were KK and did what he did, MY father would not be saying I was railroaded. He would be saying that much of what I did was wrong, and against the law, and that while he loves me because I am his child, I must serve my time and hopefully learn from my mistakes and be a changed person when I get out.

Ladyentrepreneur
Username: Ladyentrepreneur

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Cheeks-Kilpatrick family know that most Detroiters are ignorant and will react to racism comments."

No, contrary to popular belief, most Detroiters are NOT ignorant. Your comment is a ridiculous stereotype. I don't believe for a second that he is being lynched. He got what he deserved in my opinion. The people that keep saying this has something to do with race really bother me --- FYI:Ltorivia485 I don't agree with them.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 3163
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladyentrepreneur, then explain to me why does Detroit have a 46% illiteracy rate (which I believe is much higher)? There are still Detroit residents who support the Kilpatrick-Cheeks family!!

Ladyentrepreneur

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ltorivia485, where did you get that statistic from? Please send me a reference. (And yes I am serious) I hate assumptions, so please enlighten me, I only believe facts, sorry.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 3165
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DETROIT, MICH., -- It’s no coincidence that Detroit has one of the highest illiteracy rates in the country and has classified over 47% of adults as functionally illiterate, according to the National Institute for Literacy. To make matters worse, Detroit has a higher illiteracy rate than countries in Africa -- where the children have never seen a book.
http://www.neguidance.org/sere ndipity/index.php?/archives/14 -NEGC-to-Kick-off-Literacy-Cam paign-to-Combat-Detroits-High- Illiteracy-Rate.html

cording to a government report, "The State of Literacy in America."

In fact, national studies suggest Detroit's illiteracy rate is the highest among major American cities. According to a 2002 United Nations report, Detroit falls short even when compared to developing Third World nations, such as Cuba, which has 2.7 percent illiteracy rate. In Ecuador, 7 percent of adults can't read, and in El Salvador, 18.9 percent of adults.

While Detroit's literacy problems are far worse, Wayne, Macomb and Oakland counties also share double-digit illiteracy rates.
http://www.detnews.com/2005/ev ents/0510/12/E01-345560.htm

You still question my facts, Lady?

Ladyentrepreneur

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. You sent me a link to a blog containing a press release that doesn't have an actual reference to an actual report (it only says according to National Institute for Literacy). Where's the documentation? Then you linked me to another article on the DET News website that contained a mere sentence about literacy rates in Detroit (also stating that Oakland and Macomb county had double digit illiteracy rates). This is still not FACTUAL information. When I said factual information I meant something such as a census report or a *reliable* source of information. Not a blog containing a press release or a news article that contains one sentence about it. I never denied that the illiteracy rate in Detroit was high, but I wanted to make a point by asking for factual information because I realize that people tend to throw a lot of stereotypes and assumptions around about Detroit. I am a stickler for information and if you expect me to believe the illiteracy rate is 46 or 47% then I need to see researched documentation proving that the number is accurate. I happen to know many literate and intelligent people who live in Detroit.

Ladyentrepreneur

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

::Running to check out NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR LITERACY's website:: Be Back Later! :-)

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 3169
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The numbers are accurate, Lady. In fact, I think the numbers are even higher because this city has a large concentration of people in poverty and inadequate social services. We also have a struggling school system with a high drop-out rate (especially among males). This has been an issue debated on this forum for years. If you have lived in the city of Detroit all your life, you should notice by now some Detroiters are FUNCTIONALLY illiterate.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Detroit Literacy coalition website:

"What is the national functional illiteracy rate?
The National Adult Literacy Survey (NALS) done in the 1990's (and endorsed by the National Assessment of Adult Literacy (NAAL) of 2003) found a total of 21-23 percent - or 40-44 million - of the 191 million American adults functioning at the lowest literacy level.

What is the functional illiteracy rate in Michigan?
About 18 percent.

What is the functional illiteracy rate in Detroit?
47% of metro Detroiters are reportedly functional illiterate.

What is the unemployment rate in Detroit?
About 10.3%

What is the high school graduation rate in Detroit?
There is no accurate data reported but it hovers about 65 - 70%"

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 3171
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have this belief that because some jobs in metro Detroit were primarily manufacturing-based, you didn't need advanced education to do your job and make middle-class wages. At one point, you didn't even need a high school diploma to work in the factories. So the statistics are not surprising.

Ladyentrepreneur

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I didn't grow up in Detroit. I have lived here on and off for about 10 years (in very short time periods). I graduated from college in Detroit (U of D Mercy) and I have always been around some of the most intelligent people in the city (well my age anyway -- 20 - 30 somethings). Maybe I was just ignorant to the fact that so many people here are illiterate because of the type of crowd I associated myself with and the fact that I really didn't *live* in the city per se until college. However I still don't think that it's fair to say:

"The Cheeks-Kilpatrick family know that most Detroiters are ignorant and will react to racism comments"

It sets off the perception that there are nothing but dummy's in Detroit that will believe anything that KK has to say. I for one, cannot stand him and if I was a actual resident at the time of his initial election, I sure as hell wouldn't have voted for him.

Ladyentrepreneur

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I have this belief that because some jobs in metro Detroit were primarily manufacturing-based, you didn't need advanced education to do your job and make middle-class wages. At one point, you didn't even need a high school diploma to work in the factories. So the statistics are not surprising."

My next comment was going to refer to this. I was thinking that maybe its the older adult population in Detroit (you know, people that used to work for the big 3 back in the day). The reason being is because I am typically around the 20-30 something crowd and everyone seems to be very informed when it comes to Detroit politics. (I will admit though, I have met my share of idiots here)

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 3173
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lady, most EDUCATED young folks move out of Detroit proper while they still can. A few stay for various reasons. The groups left behind are the poor, criminal, and the elderly. And guess which voting bloc is the largest in the city of Detroit? Let me give you a hint: it's not those between the ages of 18 and 30.

Ladyentrepreneur

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I am *very* educated, I have decided to stay and start a business here and try to create a more positive image of the city. I also know plenty of other educated black, young people who have done the same. (I will admit that at one point I was very tempted to leave, but that would be too easy) There are many educated young people that love the city and have decided to stay here for one reason or another.

As far as the age group that is voting the most, hopefully after this fiasco with Kwame that will change.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 551
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the functional illiteracy rate in Detroit?
47% of metro Detroiters are reportedly functional illiterate.

Is this for Detroit only or Metro Detroit meaning suburbs?

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 3174
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that statistic is for the city. If that included the entire metropolitan area, then the Detroit statistic would have to be higher than 47%.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 303
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People that I know that have this problem are defined as learning disabled (Dyslexia, etc). Mostly it's a comprehension problem, not understanding what one is reading. Some people can, if a book is read to them, comprehend what the book is about, while if they read it they won't.

I really don't know what effort there has been to identify this problem in DPS (and elsewhere). I think that there should be textbooks and other texts available on audio media to students that have identifiable reading comprehension problems.

I know that many literacy programs are looking for volunteers that are willing to help tutor people that need help. I've thought of doing this, maybe this will get me moving toward that area.

Duke_sims
Username: Duke_sims

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who gives a crap about Detroit's literacy rate? Are all Americans stupid? After all, they re-elected George W. Bush, right?

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think that illiteracy is necessarily the same as ignorant - there are plenty of folks (such as the factory workers from an earlier generation, mentioned earlier here, or those from places where formalized education is harder to come by) who don't finish high school, read well, etc., but who certainly are not "ignorant". There's also plenty of people with lots of formal education who are terribly ignorant. For me, at least, these two concepts are very different.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 3177
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doc, you make a good point. However, we cannot deny that the Kilpatrick-Cheeks family uses the race and God cards to manipulate residents to believe they are victims of an unfair, racist system (that ironically only exists in their minds). The family is corrupt and only care about power and will do whatever means to seize positions to protect their pocketbooks.

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lt - absolutely, 100% in agreement. And use of those "cards" only demeans their true value and applicability in other situations. It is reprehensible and unconscionable. They are also very bright and manipulative and have managed to "dupe" many folks, those with and without formal education, with and without "street smarts". Unfortunately, some will remain blind to the realities of what's going on, and they will, I suspect, continue to come from a variety of socioeconomic and educational backgrounds. If it weren't so tragic and pressing, it would make an interesting study of truly anti-social behavior - that is, behavior that treats others as means to an end and therefore dehumanizes them.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 175
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't it Aayanna Kilpatrick who said that Detroit is a "...city full of idiots..."?
The family is dysfunctional. They are upside down, like something from Alice In Wonderland. Devoid of logic. They think that if they spike the Kool Aid with their race card the city will be theirs again, and that they will be set up for a comeback.
I think that it is they who have drunk the Kool Aid!

(Message edited by Bobl on November 01, 2008)

Mikea
Username: Mikea

Post Number: 107
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the report on WDIV from the other night about the FBI investigation is accurate, many of the big players in the Kilpatrick bunch will be joinging Kwame behind bars in the future anyways.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 283
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Wasn't it Aayanna Kilpatrick who said that Detroit is a "...city full of idiots..."?"

Yes, Bobl, you're right. I was going to bring that up too.

(Message edited by thames on November 01, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: