Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Will all the real Northeast siders please stand up! » Archive through October 22, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 883
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tarkus- Did you know of any of the Van Den Booms? They were on Chatsworth.

Turkeycall
Username: Turkeycall

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421,
Was one of the Van Den Booms a pipefitter at Budd Wheel?

Pgn421

Post Number: 884
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

turkey- yes, Dan was,did you work with him?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took a drive recently through the extreme NE corner of the city going from State Fair and Gratiot and zig zaging through the streets until I arrived at Collingham and Kelly.
About 5 years ago I spent a lot of time in this neighborhood with friends who lived in the area. I was humbled at the number of vacant homes and blight that was there that I did not remember just 5 years ago. This area was quite nice on most blocks and most houses were filled. It was startling to see the speed at which the blight is really affecting this area of the city which i one of my favorites. Anyone currently live in this part of town. What challenges and successes do you see in the neighborhood? I knew another guy who grew up there in the 80s and he thought that the neighborhood had improved by the 2000s from where it was in the 80s anyone else agree?

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 582
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, around Eastland! Yeah, I'd like to know about that too.

Turkeycall
Username: Turkeycall

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 5:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421 - That was back in the day, almost 35 years ago. I was a Machine Repairman, Dan was a Pipefitter. I think our apprenticeships overlapped each other's. We didn't work together, but my dad was the Leader in the Pipe Shop.

Every new P/F apprentice got to work with dad. The Old Man was pretty much all business. The first instruction the apprentice was issued was, "Keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth closed unless you've got a question. You're here to learn your trade, not lollygag around with your buddies." All apprentices, including me, were considered "lower than white whale sh_t at the bottom of the Dead Sea," at least when we were first starting out.

If you see Dan, give him regards from Al K's son.

Pgn421

Post Number: 885
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 7:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

turkey- will do

Imhere
Username: Imhere

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider & Eastsidedame,

My mom still lives in that area. I get down to see her about once a month. Eastburn & Redmond area.

My take is around 2000-2001 the neighborhood was starting to "Come Back". The houses were mostly maintained and neat.

Now there are a lot of empty houses that have been stripped of anything valuable. Not sure what changed (Could be the overall housing crisis), but the Neighborhood has gone down.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a map showing rates of foreclosures and that particular area and many in the city had very high rates.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2003
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs. Gnome checking in.

Dickerson at Mack ... about 100 yards from that ice cream place with the cow head on the front.

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 94
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs. Gnome, that cow head is still there. My grandfather and grandmother were the caretakers of the first 2 apartment buildings off Mack on Springle. Right behind the used car lot on the corner that was next to Mama Rosa's.

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 932
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mrs. gnome. when did you live there? i remember the cow head! lived at manistique and mack until 1970. how 'bout white bear ice cream? i think they were a distributor for ice cream trucks. we used to be able to go in and buy ice cream. i remember walking in and seeing a "hefty" gentlemen toward the back selling ice cream bars through a little opening in the wall. now that i think about it, it was a little scary.

how about kresge's. it had the old soda fountain. and they would sell fish and turtles in the back of the store. good memories

Gnome

Post Number: 2006
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived there only until about 1965. I don't remember white bear. We used to walk up to the cow head place and get a "10 cent lemon slush". Now ... the Kresge's, yes I do remember that. Thinking about it I can smell and hear the place (the wood floors squeaking, ceiling fans going overhead). My sister and I came home from Kresge's with a goldfish one day without asking the parental units. Oops ... the fish didn't last long.

Gnome

Post Number: 2007
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Servite, wow! Just two blocks from Dickerson. Are those two apartment buildings still there? The one I lived in (parents were caretakers!) is still there and is in pretty good shape ... amazing considering what has happened to the rest of the street.

Gnome

Post Number: 2008
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maof ... did you go to Hosmer?

Maof2

Post Number: 934
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes i did. kindergarten with miss geri in about 1964/65, then st. john berchmans and then we moved to harper woods. my two oldest sisters went through to servite. i too remember the dark wood and ceiling fans and if i remember correctly, the soda fountain was long with the bar stools.

Gnome

Post Number: 2009
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss Geri. That sounds familiar. I think my kindergarten teacher was miss carroll 1963/1964 and my sister had miss geri but she is 2 years older. I wonder if you knew any Dudals or Carters? They lived on Lenox.

I hadn't thought about Kresge's for years! I also remember the soda fountain as being long with bar stools.

Maof2

Post Number: 935
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh i remember the carters. i think they have 14 kids in the family and wasn't the dad a cop? dudals doesn't sound familar

Gnome

Post Number: 2010
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the Carter kids! They had sooo many kids. I was friends with twins my age .. Maureen & Kathleen. You have a good memory! I didn't remember the dad being a cop! I was just always in awe of ALL THOSE KIDS ! It seems that we weren't allowed in their house ... probably had too many kids in there already! Dudals moved to SCS and may not have attended school in the neighborhood.

Maof2

Post Number: 936
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think they went to st. john berchmans and/or servite and i'm sure one of them graduated with one of my older sisters. for some reason, i'm thinking red heads or fair? oh and another sister of mine also had miss geri and she would have been in the same class with your sister. if we had to go potty, we had to raise one finger to pee and two fingers for well, you know. if your sis had miss geri, she may remember that.

Gnome

Post Number: 2011
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 7:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi MAOF that is so cool. I have a picture of the Carter twins in school uniforms that I'll dig up. (am I allowed to post pics of kids from the 1960's without permission?) As for their features, I think of them in B&W because of the photos of the time. My mom took a picture of me with Miss Carroll on my last day of school, standing in front of Hosmer. She did the same for my sister with Miss Geri. I have the one of me, but my sister has hers. Maybe I can get her to scan it in (sis lives out of state). I don't remember the one and two finger thing! That's funny and why would the teacher have to know? In case they might need help? Ha! I would have been embarrassed to let all my classmates know exactly what my situation was and I probably would have lied! Miss Gordon was my 1st grade teacher. I remember she had to open tall windows with a hook on a long pole. I have to say that I am astonished and pleased to find someone to reminisce about the old neighborhood!

Maof2

Post Number: 939
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs. G - I've seen people post other pictures from back in the day so I think it should be ok. I would love to see a picture of Hosmer. I'm sure I still have my report card from Miss Gerry.
Regarding the pee and poop thing, I remember it well because I had my "one" finger up, and it seemed like forever, and she didn't see me or ignored me or whatever. I ended up peeing in my seat. I'll never forget it. I have told my kids that story and I think that stupid b****

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maof2 and Gnome, I too had Ms. Gerry at Hosmer for kindergarten. I went to St John Berchman with the Carter twins and the rest of the clan. They also went to Servite. The dad I believe they called the dad Big Red or Big Al. Can't remember. In the St. John Berchman thread, there is a picture I posted from our reunion in 06' The Carter girls are in there along with alot of kids that went to St. John Berchman.

Gnome

Post Number: 2014
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, guys here are (from left to right):

Mrs. Gnome, Maureen & Kathleen Carter, Linda Black.

I was always intrigued by the tough-looking girl standing in the doorway above us.

Hosmer Kindergarten Grads 1964

Gnome

Post Number: 2015
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs. Carroll and the future Mrs. Gnome 1964 standing in front of Hosmer Elementary School on Lakeview. Detroit, MI

Mrs. Carroll 1964

Gnome

Post Number: 2016
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other names from the neighborhood in the early 1960s:

Mary Ann Bommarito
Phil Bommarito
Tony Marchiano
Mary Kay Marcy
Sandy Jozwiak
Gail Jozwiak

Memories: Mary Kay Marcy was an only child. Her dad worked in a factory and went to the basement to change clothes after work because they were dirty. Mary Kay had an enclosed porch and an amazing Barbie kitchen.

Sandy Jozwiak was my age (b ~1958) and moved to Utica in about 1964 or 65. Her mom was a redhead and her dad wore glasses.

Tony Marciano was a trouble-maker. He hung around with a boy named George. George was tall for his age. George and Tony put catsup on their feet and pretended it was blood from walking in the alley and stepping on glass.

A 'shinny man' came through the alley with a dapple grey horse whose back was sunken. My mom said to stay away from the shinny man! He had a grey beard.

We used to play a game called "car 54" after the TV show in the Hosmer field.

There was a fenced-in lot on Dickerson with a path through it to the alley. There were chinese lanterns growing in the yard against the fence. In the house next to the garden/lot lived an orange tabby cat whose face was always scratched up from fighting with other cats. The owner of the cat used to say "Hi boys! How are you boys today?" when our gang of girls walked by his house. We'd be mad that he thought we were boys!

There was a bloodhound who would sit on the back porch along Waveney who'd howl his brains out in the morning when we passed by on the way to Hosmer.

Mr. London was the only black teacher. He was a great basketball player and was very tall. He was a science teacher.

OK, that is it for now. Mr. Gnome says I need my own account :~p

Kind Regards to my former neighbors!
Mrs. Gnome

Maof2

Post Number: 945
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

omg!thanks for posting the pictures mrs. gnome. they're so cute! now, i'll have to dig through mine!

didn't the jozwiak's go to SJB. gail jozwiak was my sister's age (1957) and she had a younger sister my age (1959) named linda. i remember linda black also. wasn't she kind of a tough kid?

isn't it funny how you remember things like the boy's with the ketchup (that's funny!) and the shinny man.

do you remember the furniture store on mack. i think it was called "trees furniture". we used to drag furniture boxes home through the alley (probably about 2 blocks) and make houses. so much fun!

ok, you might want to take mr. gnome's advice because this may get out-of-hand.

Maof2

Post Number: 946
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is that ice cream place, with the cow head, on the corner of lenox? i just googled the area and servite 76 is right, it's still there...i think i see that cow head!

Gnome

Post Number: 2019
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a photo I found on-line of the cow head. I'll tell you a funny Linda Black story later today! and yes, tough kid!

Cow Head on Mack

(Message edited by gnome on October 22, 2008)

Gnome

Post Number: 2020
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember the furniture store, but I do remember having fun with big boxes. We would play in the alley with a big box but then we weren't allowed to in case someone drove through the alley and didn't know there were kids in the box.

Servite, do you know which ones are the Carters in the photo? I love the school photo ... they didn't do that at Hosmer.