Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » ::: Mayor Kilpatrick Text Message Scandal ::: Mega Thread » Fine essay by Lisa Collins (Metro Times) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 653
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pick it up or click on link below for an eloquent reminder of what Detroit journalism lost when Lisa M. Collins moved to Brooklyn.

Author's note at end of Ode to Kilpatrick / Memories from a reporter who believed says: "She misses Detroit."

Here's a sampling of why we miss her:
quote:

He polarized the two sides of my brain: the part that wanted to believe this incredibly charismatic, smart guy could fix Detroit and the part that worried he was a crook.

My mother always said where there's smoke, there's fire, and on top of all the annoying aspects of this story is the fact that it has proven my mom correct yet again.

I'm haunted by memories that should have served as warnings. One exchange with Christine Beatty . . . stands out.

Yup, a teaser. You'll be glad you read the rest online or in print.

Choquant
Username: Choquant

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked this article too. I think it accurately described the way I felt about him as well. I thought for a while that he was doing some good and that I should therefore look the other way when he would say things that seemed a little.. racially charged or offensive. I even wanted, just a little bit, to defend him against what I thought were unfair and somewhat racist attacks against him by suburban people with no clue.

But ultimately I realized that he was a horrible person for reasons other than those I had heard in offhand remarks from racists. I came to face that I couldn't support his lying, cheating, and bad attitute that once again put Detroit in the nation's spotlight for a bad reason. I am glad we are rid of him and I pray that at least one of these candidates for mayor is someone with a heart and a soul.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good post Choquant. I suspect that you've articulated the thoughts of many Detroiters.

Ms. Collins' column provided interesting insight from someone who was able to get glimpses from behind the public relations curtain. She, like many others, sensed the inevitable trainwreck. Her writing is missed around here.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 427
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's another great job. It's amazing to think this was about the danger of subprimes over five years ago!!! my how time flies! too bad we can't go back there to yell "iceberg".

http://metrotimes.com/editoria l/story.asp?id=4848

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5191
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She expresses what many of us feel about this sad affair -- disappointment. Here was a giant of a man who had it all -- charisma, brains, charm, connections and energy who could rev up the momentum Archer had started.

He had a connection to youthful Detroit that did not make him offensive to LBP's of this world and offered to finally put that divide to rest.

Everyone thought and hoped he would succeed. Instead he fell victim to the deadly sins, pride, lust and sloth with size 15 feet of clay. So sad. So disappointing.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 694
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell,

you forgot greed. Greed was his biggest sin.

"Don't try and church it up son....... don't you mean Joe Dirt?"

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: