Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Getting Married in Detroit » Bakery for wedding cakes « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Colgatesmile
Username: Colgatesmile

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see beautiful wedding cakes all the time, but I am rarely pleased with the taste...

So if you know a bakery whose cakes taste as good as they look, please share their name, address/phone if you have it.

Thanks!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 3077
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cake Lady of Berkley!

Her store is Party Cakes on Coolidge between 11 and 12 Mile Rds. in Berkley. For info: http://www.party-cakes.com/

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2698
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Knudsen's on Six Mile has great cakes.

Hutt
Username: Hutt

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elite Sweets is exceptional and Josefs in Grosse Pointe is delicious!!!

Marianewtothed
Username: Marianewtothed

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet Dreams Bakery....Two locations-Warren and Orchard Lake

http://www.sweetdreamsweb.com/ index.html

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 610
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hodells Cake Shoppe in St. Clair Shores. Been in business for 50 years and verrry good.

Scout
Username: Scout

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been very happy with Pinwheel Bakery in Ferndale. So pretty and so yum.

http://www.pinwheelbakery.com/

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We got ours from Bommaritto's up on Mack near 9 mile- it was really beautiful and so delicious!

Providence
Username: Providence

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The other day I was watching a Food Network Wedding Cake Challenge. Michelle Bommarito won it: http://michellebommarito.com

It doesn't look like she is affiliated with the SCS Bommarito's (works out of Detroit).

Colgatesmile

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all for the suggestions
I really like the drive-by tasting that Party Cakes Inc. offers.
I plan on having at least 3 tastings and I hope it doesnt affect my ability to fit into the dress.

=)

Rob__bob
Username: Rob__bob

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mrs. maddox in farmington on orchard lake and 10 mile

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3918
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Sunnyside Bakery still open?

Sweetheart is also good. :-)

Kensingtony
Username: Kensingtony

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll second the nomination for Hodell's Cake Box in S.C.Shores.We used to get cakes from them at work when they were on Harper by Grayton and our shop was 2 blocks down.They also did the cake for my wedding and my 50th birthday.Consistently good flavor and quality and their butter cream frosting is the ABSOLUTE best.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 269
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is the Sunnyside Bakery still open?

I can confirm that it is as my dad told me that he stopped by last week for a coffee cake.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 2008
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second Knudsen's in Detroit. A long established quality outfit.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 318
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This does not answer any questions, but if you are looking at/for cakes you have to check out this hilarious blog...it's all about the ugly, terrible cakes "profesionals" make (plus some amazingly stunning cakes).

http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com /

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3724
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Josef's in Grosse Pointe Woods will make a variety of small cakes (4"-6"diameter) for you to bring home and taste. I think their prices are good as well.

Urban_shocker
Username: Urban_shocker

Post Number: 287
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Victor Bakery in Highland Park

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4623
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Instead of a wedding cake at my daughter's wedding we did an Achatz pie table. They have a stand that holds pies in a tier like formation. You can have as few as three or something like nine round pies. We had 4, then we bought 4 large sheet pies of different flavors for serving. The table was draped in tulle with lights woven through it.The 'pie' they cut was a Baileys cheese cake.
It was quite a hit. Very different than the usual cake. And actually a lot cheaper

Colgatesmile

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole, I really like the idea, however, my family is assisting financially and they want a traditional wedding and shot down most of my nontraditional ideas.
With school,work,and the wedding less than 2 months away, I am too tired to argue.
I am only concerned with my dress, my cake and the photos, they can do whatever they want with the rest of the wedding.
However,I like the idea of a Bailey's cheesecake, where did you buy it?

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife says Iverson's in Dearborn is the best.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2847
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.michellebommarito.c om/about.html
As seen on TV.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 426
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Manino's Bakery in Sterling Heights at 17 mi rd & Ryan Rd.---Very good

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4624
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colgate, We ordered it through Achatz Pie Company. We went through the original location in Armada, but I'm sure one of the other ones could help.

Rustic68
Username: Rustic68

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heritage Bakery on Five Mile in Livonia

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 342
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh man, I can't remember the name of this place, but it's in a strip mall on Orchard Lake Road just south of where Pontiac Trail breaks off of it. I'll ask my wife, she'll remember. Great goddamned wedding cake.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 643
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Knudsen's #1, Mrs. Maddox #2

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree - Hodell's. They also make their own "bumpy" cake, delish! When I got married, a "future" relative made my cake for our wedding present. Damn thing fell right before I walked into the reception hall. It still tasted good.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 2055
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Knudsen's on 6 mile and Greenview is THE best for my fam.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 443
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will second the Pinwheel Bakery in Ferndale. Their products combine attractiveness and tastiness.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 482
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The New Palace Bakery in Hamtramck! Ask for the cherry and nut vanilla batter specialty with chocolate and creme frosting!! You'll never put your mouth on anything living or dead better!!!

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 870
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hodells is terrific and Maof2 is right about the bumpy cake, it's wonderful. Real buttercream and lots of it, tasty chocolate, and it's not that expensive. If anyone remembers the "real" bumpy cakes from Sanders in the 50's (not the ones they make today) that they only made in the cooler months, this cake from Hodells is very close to the Sanders perfection.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7498
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll 3rd Josef's in Grosse Pointe Woods... their cakes are awesome.

Psychgrad
Username: Psychgrad

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fancy Pastry (formerly from Delray) on Park in Allen Park does a great job - just used them for ours and it turned out beautiful and tasted great. They used a butter cream with layers of bishop bread, walnut tort, banana nut, and chocolate. Very reasonable price and free delivery to the site.

Dorothyd
Username: Dorothyd

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll second Sweet Dreams. My daughter's wedding cake was from the Warren location. A wide variety of cake flavors and fillings and on her first anniversary they got a free cake.

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vote is for Mrs. Maddox. Pretty and tasty!

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holiday Market (Yes, it's a Spartan Store but the bakery is amazing) makes awesome cakes. They are in Royal Oak and Canton (I believe it's Canton). Everyone is still raving about my sister's wedding cake after 4 years!

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 884
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milford Baking Company
408 N. Main St.
Milford, Michigan 48381

Their cakes are delicious AND they taste as if they came from Heinrich's!

Phone (248) 685-2200
Fax (248) 685-0995

info@milfordbakingcompany.com

Marianewtothed
Username: Marianewtothed

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Treelock, Maybe the Fox and Hound Pastry Den?

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 329
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Garden city bakery on cherryhill near wayne, very good. also they have samples on one day of the week. The very best.

http://www.gardencityandidealc akeshoppe.com/

Brienne
Username: Brienne

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Gandy Dancer in Ann Arbor. 401 Depot St
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
(734) 769-0592

Silverbeauty
Username: Silverbeauty

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

elite sweets

farmington

on 8 mile at farmington rd.

Milford
Username: Milford

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pastry Palace
28525 Beck Rd Unit 117
Wixom, Mi. 48393
248-380-2810
www.thepastrypalace.com

I've had many cakes from them over the past 6-8 years and all were excellent

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 930
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Top Notch Cakes and Cookies on Knolson rd, in Westland

Kelton
Username: Kelton

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreeing with Silverbeauty about Elite Sweets -

33471 W. Eight Mile Road
Livonia, MI 48152
Phone - 248-476-3600

http://getelitesweets.com

(Editing to say I see the link isn't highlighted, but I was able to get to it by cutting and pasting the address into the browser.)

Great web-site, check out the tortes. I'm taking a lemon mousse torte to Thanksgiving dinner. They had samples available the day we were there, just delicious!

Kelton

(Message edited by Kelton on November 17, 2008)

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My son's and daughter in laws cake came from Elite Sweets ( actually, more than 20 of them,1 each for table center pieces !) and the were lovely and delicious.

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My son's and daughter in laws cake came from Elite Sweets ( actually, more than 20 of them,1 each for table center pieces !) and they were lovely and delicious.