Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Joel Thurtell v. Matty Moroun (wrong guy wins) » Archive through October 06, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1955
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, for those folks who couldn't get away, ... no worries. I have a feeling this might not be the last time we poke Matty in the eye.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outstanding job Detroit Yessers. Matty tried to pull a land scam a few years ago in Riverview near the Grosse Ile toll bridge. Community activists nipped it in the bud. Power to the people!

Gnome

Post Number: 1958
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joel's take on the game, a few pix, and some conversations he had with the Matty's minion, Devil Dan Stamper:

http://joelontheroad.com/?p=11 81

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 829
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like the fence is coming down. Per KCJ.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 339
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Channel 4 announced on the 11pm news that Mayor Ken said Matty has no right to have fences at Riverside Park and they would be removed.
Tear that schitt down!

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 286
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice Job DYesers. . . did you ever get those drinks?

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 830
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We got Water 3 cases.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 740
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy shit! Fence is coming DOWN?!
That was some fast action, right there..
:-)

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5476
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =EgXdJqWc1U4

Homer

Post Number: 340
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the fence is still up and padlocked this Friday afternoon, and an unmarked tinted windowed white pickup is sitting close by. Maybe City parks and rec work order is sitting on someone's desk till Monday.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So now that this is happening what can we do to organize cleanups and make sure it becomes an asset to the community once again? I am thrilled that the fence is coming down but that doesn't mean it is over, we need to utilize these city gems so that this of illegal activity can never be tolerated again.

Gnome

Post Number: 1963
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True UrbanO, but I'm not convinced Matty is going to do what he's been told to do.

This might be a test for Cockrel to see if he can stand up to the forces of Evil.

Gnome

Post Number: 1964
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update by Curt Guyette of the Metro Times:

http://www.metrotimes.com/blog /newsblawg.asp?perm=517

quote:

...just got off the phone with Daniel Cherrin, spokesman for Detroit Mayor Ken Cockrel Jr. Cherrin says that the city’s Law Department is in the process of “going through the appropriate legal channels” to notify Manuel “Matty” Moroun

quote:

After stories and photos appeared on his blog, www.JoelontheRoad.com, a handful of local patriots staged a protest softball game out at the park, with everyone wearing black shirts. I went out to catch the fun and ran into Dan Stamper, president of the Bridge Company, and Jack E. Teatsorth, the company’s director of security.

quote:

And so the city’s legal team is now on the case. But I wouldn’t go holding any victory softball games just yet, fellow patriots. Matty Moroun has a history of fighting back when it looks like he’s not going to get his way. After all, he has his cash-cow of a bridge to protect. And it looks like he’s the only one truly willing to keep it really safe.

Don't put those gloves away just yet folks ... or maybe we'll play some flag football this time ... but this is going to be a long fight.

Congrats to everyone that came out and played. Also, congrats to the folks who wanted to come but couldn't. You should all walk a little taller today, you did a good thing, be proud of yourselves. What we've discovered is that this forum is being watched by Matty, and the level of interest in the protest softball game rattled their cages.

Plus, they're scared of Homer's bride.

Good job to all. Thanx to Mara McDonald of Channel 4 WDIV, Curt Guyette of the Metro Times, and of course Joel Thurtell.

Oh, btw, seems our friends at WDET got a bad case of cold feet in covering this issue. I've heard they got a call from a major contibutor; wonder what that conversation was about?

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 349
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to everyone that was there that day. I know I didn't play softball, but I did come to show my support as a former SW Detroit resident, former Bridge employee and professional mariner. Apparently I helped because I was quoted in both articles. I was left speechless when I made the comparison to the Blue Water Bridge and actually a couple of other signifcant bridges by Dan's reply that the "Government owns those and they don't care" I had no clue what to say to that one. I'm all for protecting the bridge, but there has to be a way to do it that doesn't take our park and riverfont access.

(Message edited by BillyBBrew on October 04, 2008)

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3667
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as there being a way to protect the bridge without comprising the park and the riverfront access, there is a simple solution to that.

I don't know all the logistics of the matter, but whenever we cross underneath the bridge on the Windsor side, there is a Windsor patrol car sitting in the vicinity. You can see the officer inside the car watching the happenings. A Detroit patrol could be set up just as easily, couldn't it?

I don't doubt it would be a very boring job for an officer on an 8 hour shift, but I have seen other patrol cars pulling out from the area. So, just maybe the officers are changed every hour or so? Makes sense to me.

Or is there something I'm not understanding as to the situation under the Detroit side of the bridge? Other than Matty being the head cheese over there?

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 290
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as that goes, E-D, I'd think a well-patrolled waterfront park would be such an asset to nearby communities that it would more than repay the investment of police time. That park, fence or no fence, is so underused right now, and it's potentially a really nice spot.

Billybbrew

Post Number: 351
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan Stamper said that HE is lighting the area down there and HE put up cameras and HE has private security, and so on...However, it's not to make US any safer, it's to protect HIS bosses ASSet....So my question to Dan is and was....Why don't YOU open back up the park and continue to do the same thing. You not only protect your boss' ASSet, but you also protect US and give something back to community that we can see.

Homer

Post Number: 341
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think I'll be playin any flag football in that goosepoop field, maybe a snowball fight.

Gnome

Post Number: 1965
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point Homer, I didn't think of the need to step over goose poo, just thought of Matty's Goosesteppers.

The thing that burns my biscuits about this whole thing is that Matty took city property, has squatted his construction materials all over it, and hasn't paid a dime.

I was really great meeting you and Marge. I see why you fell for her, she's a dynamo.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 741
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto on the no football in the goose poo vote..one diving/falling non-catch and my jeans are already never gonna be the same.
:-)
"These grass stains smell awful."
(ZRX Doug's 82 year old mother.)

Definitely up for another softball game though.

(Message edited by ZRX_Doug on October 05, 2008)

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 544
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, when's the cleanup in front of MCS?

Billybbrew

Post Number: 352
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol @ Marge...Good one Gnome. And you're right, she is a dynamo and a great person. I've worked with her before on other projects. What you see is what you get with her...I think it was nice meeting Homer for the first time.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2440
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shouldn't the guy be fined at least the cost of the city dealing with this. This was over the line.

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 341
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GNOME.

Are you making things up?

You don't know what you are talking about.

We have been trying to get EXACT information from the folks at Homeland Security before we talk about it.

So far, we don't have it. In fact, we've had conflicting answers from them about this property, and nobody is willing to go on record about it.

THAT'S why the topic hasn't come up yet. It has NOTHING to do with our donors, and our coverage of issues at WDET never does.

So...do me a favor, and call me first before posting something like that.

Gnome

Post Number: 1969
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craggy, your absolute silence on this issue laughably belies your outrage.

Where were you on the day of the softball game? I don't know, but I do know you weren't interviewing Bridge President Dan Stamper, Security Chief Jack Teatsorth, an entire cadre of Bridge Community Organizers, or even retired Journalist Joel Thurtell.

Curt Guyette from the Metro Times and Mara McDonald from Channel 4 were able to stop by. Are you busier than those folks?

I know you knew about the game. You had a full week to fit it into your busy schedule. Don't whine to me about you not showing up. Don't whine to me about you not covering the story.

Where I come from, that's being MIA.

Did it ever strike you that not being able to find the person in charge is a story in and of itself? That conflicting answers as to Bridge Jurisdiction is a major story?

Until you give the airtime this story deserves you're just a fast talker/slow walker. Maybe you need to spend some more time covering the next garage band or art fair.

Do US a favor, save your outrage for the people of Detroit and not for your apparently fragile ego.

Craggy

Post Number: 342
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome...

You mistake an honest question for outrage. You insinuated that a call from someone determined whether we did the story. You are wrong.

That's all.

I don't mind critique of subjects, our coverage of said subjects, and certainly not of my style or delivery. I am what I am.

I do, however, bristle at your assertion that we have somehow been bought off.

Craggy

Post Number: 343
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One more thing, Gnome.

I'd love to hear the story about the "phone call from a donor" that led to this.

The segment was ready to go. Dan Stamper had agreed to come on the program and talk about the riverside park situation. Homeland Security was not. In the interest of getting the most accurate information, we wanted confirmation of what role, if any, Homeland security had in allowing Maroun to use the property and fence it off. Without that, it would have been Dan Stamper saying eveything was hunky dory. We wanted more than that for the program.

So...the Detroit Today team (Zack, Amanda, and Myself) decided to hold off for now.

Little did we know that the Metro Times would have the story the next day.

I realize that you believe this to be an important story. So do we, but we also have other responsibilities during the program. Yes, we talk arts, culture, music, etc. I realize you have little use for it. But, others enjoy it, and we will continue to bring it to people, as well as political and business news.

We actually try hard each day. Its obvious you listen, and we appreciate that.

Again, feel free to call me if you have questions. I'm really not a bad guy.

Gnome

Post Number: 1970
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't say you were a bad guy Craggy.

Just a putz.

It tough to disprove a negative Craiggy, but your silence is proving more than I can reveal. Not every workmate is a fan.

If you think this is a one-off story where a single 7 minute segment is going to cover it, I'm afraid you are mistaken. Holding out for a global on-air solution is sophomoric in its optimism. You actually think you are going host some round-table kumbaya talk-fest? Pleeeze.

I love the fact, you brissle at the your personal integrity being questioned, but on the subject of Matty stealing City property, you've been silent.

Silent.

We dropped the story in your lap, but you "...decided to hold off...". Instead of answering that question, you doth protest too much.

You want to prove me wrong? Fine. Cover the story. Prove to the world I'm the putz. Until then the nom de putz is yours.

Oh, btw, I'm a big fan of your music pieces, maybe you should concentrate on what you're good at and leave the bridge story to a professional news organization.

Like the Metro Times.

In the meantime, just keep quiet on the issue. Don't use your microphone to let your listening audience know what's going on. shhh. It's not time to speak out, it's too early, not enough people really care, or maybe you don't want to cover the story.

Feel goaded yet? You should. Putzes always feel that way when cornered. It natural. They shrink right up. yep. Seen it happen.

Curly98
Username: Curly98

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey I'm a putz, but I made it. I even left to get the kids and came right back, oh wait. I guess that means I'm not really a putz, my bad.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 688
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, the softball game was a great idea and this issue needed to be brought to people's attention. That being said, in your past couple posts you're coming off as bitter because you didn't get something you want, it's not very nice. Craggy explained the situation from his standpoint--you don't have to believe it, but why the insulting and name calling?