Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Sledding hills in the city? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ruxy17
Username: Ruxy17

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, we got the snow day we were hoping for...where can i go sledding around here?

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 976
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if the sled hill in Hines Park in Northville is still open. It's a great hill but I think they had a fatal there a number of years ago.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2968
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pine knob

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3627
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kensington.

In the city you can go to Rouge Park.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Balduck park on the east side is a great hill for sledding. Do they still have the toboggan runs there? It's east of Chandler Park drive, a few blocks south of Moross.

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 248
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont know about in the city, but you can go to Shiawasse Hill, its in Farmington Hills on Farmington rd right before it cuts off into Downtown Farmington. I cant even count how many times i have gone there. you wont be disappointed trust me.

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 182
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to go to Lola Valley(sp?). It's along 6 mile a few miles west of Telegraph. North of 6 mile.

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second Balduck. There's also a hill at 13 Mile & John R in Madison Heights behind the city hall.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 276
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shepherd Park in Oak Park.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14951
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It has been decades, but I'm sure what we used to call Garbage Hill is still the best on the west-side, if you don't want to stand in line for the big official hill off Hines Drive just west of Inkster.

Remembering where it is...seems to be a problem today. Outer Drive just north of Warren Avenue? East side of the street, look for the cars and kids.

It should be pretty busy today!

Jtf1972
Username: Jtf1972

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Derby hill was always good

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 979
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Balduck is the best, that's where I always went as a child. If you're adventurous, you can go down the back of the hill. I want to go today!

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 317
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah. Definitly Balduck is the place to go.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that's a nice memory I had forgotten all about - sledding at the Balduck hill. Always fun.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5169
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You had to be real adventurous to go down the back of the hill. If I remember correctly, it was all rocks and roots back there.
Does anyone but me remember the nature trails. I may have asked this before, but don't remember an answer

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wooden toboggan runs are long gone at Balduck, but the hill remains perfect. But, Alley: Sliding down the back of the hill? Seriously?

Alley

Post Number: 981
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was one clear, skinny path on the back--if you could steer clear of the roots it was really fast and fun. I wouldn't try it now (as I'm now a 30 year old woman) and I wouldn't let my kids do it. Was there an iceskating rink behind the hill @ Balduck? I seem to remember one..

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oak park park has a good hill and the one behind lampheer high school in madison heights is good 2

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4391
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The poster asked re: the city...answer: Balduck Park.

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 269
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Balduck Park for sure! I've got many fond eastside memories from that place.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole, I remember the nature trail there. The ones across Chandler Park Drive, on the opposite side of the park from the hill? The gate was chained shut, but the chain was loose enough to squeeze through. I used to take my dog back there to chase the squirrels (not that she ever caught one, mind you.).

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5177
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the one's I'm talking about, TS. We used to sneak in there back in the day, but not to chase squirrels :-)

Wlrks
Username: Wlrks

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clinton River Rd and Romeo Plank right across from the cemetary

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 3341
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Derby Hill doesn't look too appealing now, but they used to have some great toboggan ramps til the n'er do wells burned them down in the 70's.

(Message edited by Larryinflorida on December 19, 2008)

Turkeycall
Username: Turkeycall

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whenever I return to the Detroit area for family visits, I try to drive by the house on Farmbrook where I grew up - next door to Bulletmagnet - and then Balduck Park.

Whenever I view the hill from Chandler Park Drive I can't help but think it is a lot smaller [shorter?] than I remember. Maybe all the sledding wore it down.

There was a thread dedicated to Balduck Hill. Great pictures, too.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5990
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turkeycall... I grew up in the 5900 block of Marseilles... where did you on Farmbrook?

Did you know the Sinuber's or Gott's or Burton's on Lodewyck?

Did you go to Marquette?

Alley

Post Number: 983
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived at 4586 Farmbrook for a while in 1997ish

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hehe, my friends and I used to play Laser Tag in the nature trails at Balduck when we were still in high school. Late at night and in snow like this! It was great fun. ;)

And yes, we had fun sledding on the hill too. Including the daring back side.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alley: The Balduck Park skating rink was located to the right of the hill as you stood on top of it, in the direction of the intersection of E. Warren and Canyon. It was huge, the product of simply opening a fire hydrant onto a sprawling depression in the earth. It seemed so simple; I always wondered why the city stopped doing it.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2058
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Griswold from State down to Jefferson has a nice slope. After 5pm it's all yours!

Gannon

Post Number: 14956
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, we'll have to place spotters at the intersections...but spoken from skateboard experience, Chitaku?!

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 395
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, it's on Hines Dr. between Inkster and Middlebelt.

Jackpot
Username: Jackpot

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aaaaahhhhhaaaahahahahahaha, chitaku!

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2119
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Gannon! Growing up, Garbage Hill was one of my favorites too.

Tayshaun22 is right; it's on Hines Drive.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2060
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

longboard experience but all the same! either way plenty of dangerous fun!

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daughter's heading over to Balduck with her friends in a little while. Still a great place to go.

Turkeycall

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,
I was 5233 Farmbrook (TUxedo 2-1267). I used to hang around with Dan Eichoff. He lived at the corner of Lodewyck and Chandler Park Drive.

I spent a lot of time with a guy around the block from me, Tom Treppa. He had a stack of comic books several feet high. I remember his dad used to sit in a chaise chair in the back yard, listening to Tigers baseball, drinking Altes beer.

I had another buddy who lived a couple of houses off of Frankfort on Marseilles, Greg De Vries.

Most of the time, though, we hung with Bulletmagnet and his brothers and sisters.

I never paid much attention to house numbers. Did the 5900s start at Southampton?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6200
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stony Creek has sledding.
quote:

The sledding hills are located at the Gladeview and West Branch picnic areas.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 799
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to Garbage Hill in Hines back in the 80,s, think it was closed cause the Sheriff came and said GO HOME. If I can REMEMBER there used to be many more sledding hills around.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2205
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe no one has mentioned all of hills in Rouge Park yet. The place is full of them!

Several are off of Spinoza from Warren to Joy and I'm pretty sure that they still plow out the winter sports off of Joy and Lahser.

Gannon

Post Number: 14959
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I got the name wrong, but that hill on Hines WAS closed for years until they cut runs into it and made it official, I HOPE that isn't the one that Novine mentioned above.

I was talking about the biggest one of those 'planner can't believe nobody mentioned yet...heh! There is one really great hill there that will have the largest crowd. That is the one I'm talking about!

Cheers and happy times using gravity...

Lefty2

Post Number: 2970
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a busy day at the duck

balduck

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2127
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Garbage Hill was closed off and on. Oddly, I think it was closed until they added steps and a run. There are pipes sticking out of the hill that would get covered by the snow. I think that was the main problem. Now you can stay in the run (like that used for toboggans) and not hit anything. LOL!

I miss the toboggan runs they had in the back of Camp Dearborn. They sold the land they are on to the neighboring golf courses.

Jtf1972
Username: Jtf1972

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at Balduck once. There had been an ice storm. It was a Friday. My friend & I were blitzed out of our minds. he said "Let's go sledding." a couple of old fools trying to kill ourselves... What a grand day!

I used to sled down the back of Derby Hill too. One time the friend I was with pushed me and I went down too fast to turn before hitting the fence. Ouch.

Acme_pie
Username: Acme_pie

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there more than one Derby Hill? The only one I know of was at Mound Rd. and Outer Drive and it's been closed for quite a few years.

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 983
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've posted these Balduck pictures before. This is from the first roll of film I ever took with my Brownie camera on Christmas day 1958. I lived nearby on Farmbrook. This is the backside of the hill and the ice tobaggan run. People walked up the treaded lane dragging toboggans up the snowy center lane. You can kind of see how far the toboggans go. Usually there were a lot more people there. It wasn't a good idea to sled through the rocks on the back side of the hill.

back side of hill

toboggan run

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the Balduck pictures! The toboggan runs always scared me for some reason. Never went down them.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 4314
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

those were great runs...Kathy.. I worried more about the crazy kids trying to run you down while climbing the hill.... mom would always keep a themos of hot choco....as a kid I always thought it was a large hill ...until I went to the one at Kensington..now that was a run...Merry Ozark Christmas...hope you have a good one...

Turkeycall

Post Number: 113
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 6:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,
You asked in a previous post if I went to Marquette. No, I attended Bethany Lutheran at Chatsworth and E. Outer Drive for K-8. I went to Finney '64 to '65 for ninth grade and then on to Lutheran East for 10, 11, and 12. Graduated in '68.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6541
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Years ago, I heard of a great sledding hill in Ferndale. Any help here?

Detrola
Username: Detrola

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was almost a sledding hill at Patton Park. During the recent construction of the CSO project at the park a massive amount of earth was displaced. The Water & Sewerage Department and the construction companies determined that it would cost almost nothing to leave a large portion of the dirt mountain for use as a sledding hill. They planned to grade, sod and light the hill. A win win if ever there was one. Imagine, the city could do the right thing for the most diverse and densely populated area of the city and it would cost almost nothing.

The problem was the contract for hauling the dirt away was already awarded to Bobby Ferguson. A contact rumored to be worth over $300k. First the city planning department's Vincent Annuah(sp) argued that that area of the park was designated as green space according to the "master plan" Well a big hill with grass is green space argued many. When the green space argument failed the city prevailed when it claimed soil samples revealed that the land was contaminated. The land was a farm before it was a park. It is no more or less contaminated than most people's front yards. In fact it is far less contaminated than the playground at the new Beard (Clemente) grade school.

And that is the sad story of The Sledding Hill That Almost Was or How To Do The Wrong Thing And Waste $300k

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6553
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detrola, did they say HOW the soil was contaminated? Was it from other properties around there? This is such a sad story to hear what could've and should've been a nice addition to that area too.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 637
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think you can use the Madison Heights/Lamphere hill anymore. The whole top is fenced off now.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 179
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About 200 people at Lamphere hill on Sat. night sledding. The fence was added about 5 years ago on the steep side because a new fire station was built and a wall was built in a small area on the bottom of the steep side. You can still sled most of the steep side by walking around the fence(the fence makes the steep side run about 20 feet shorter).

The regular sledding side is 100% usable.

Lefty2

Post Number: 2989
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sucks how Balduck was ruined from its glory days.

Rijobo
Username: Rijobo

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warsaw Park had a nice one in the 50's & early 60"s

Doccasualty
Username: Doccasualty

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Years ago, I heard of a great sledding hill in Ferndale. Any help here?"

Green Acres Park in Hazel Park on Woodward Heights, on the Ferndale border.

393bird
Username: 393bird

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in Redford Township, and went to Lolla Valley some, but used a couple of the hills on Western Golf Course just off Beech Daily, between Five Mile and Schoolcraft.

The hills is Western were mid sized. They Golf Course also had a small wooden ski jump built on one of the hills closer to the Club House that was supposed to be for Members Only. The end of it was only about 15 ft above the ground on the hill, but a good learning jump. We snuck over to it one night with a Toboggan. About 8 of us went down on it, and had a blast till it hit the ground. The front guy got banged up pretty bad. The toboggan was in several pieces scattered around the bottom of the hill. My buddy had a rough time telling his parents what happened to the toboggan.

We never tried that again.

My wife claims that the effects of the impact still show up today with me.

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Martin Road Park in Ferndale great hill. Took my son and his friends there many times when he was young.

http://www.ferndale-mi.com/com munity/Map/Map-MartinRdParkCol or.pdf

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: