Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit slang and expressions. « Previous Next »
Archive through January 07, 2009Bearinabox30 01-07-09  10:00 pm
Archive through January 08, 2009Chuckjav30 01-08-09  10:30 am
Archive through January 08, 2009Izzyindetroit30 01-08-09  1:17 pm
Archive through January 08, 2009Chuckjav30 01-08-09  5:25 pm
Archive through January 09, 2009Grumpyoldlady30 01-09-09  5:24 am
Archive through January 10, 2009Chuckjav30 01-10-09  7:05 am
Archive through January 14, 2009Jimaz30 01-14-09  1:36 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha Ha Ford's KMart's. My husband always asks me why I add an S to those. I asked my father if he wanted a soda once when he was out visiting and he said he didn't think we had any ice cream as in Ice Cream Soda. Thanks for the memories

Bpm
Username: Bpm

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stumbled upon that and I remembered this thread. I thought it was fitting.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 333
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed these:

Zulu warrior, calling the expressway 'the big ditch'. We used to just call it 'the ditch'. People look at me funny when I use that term nowadays.

Kennyd, calling out your friends.

Single Malt, curb ball. My brother and I came up with a variation called porch ball because we didn't have a decent curb. The game was banned by my dad after a bad bounce sent the ball through the storm door window.

Chuckjav, strike out. Is that the one where you painted the square on a brick wall? We used to call it jet ball.

And pop. We went to New England one year and I swear I heard them call it tonic. Did somebody mention that already?

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1455
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ordinary...yes, my friend; that is strike-out.
Little painted square, on the side of buildings - everywhere!

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 335
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Strike ball it is. That's what most people called it. I don't know where we came up with the name jetball. Either way it was a blast. The guy I work with says they used to call it fast pitch.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ordinary....occasionally, my bother and I would substitute a golf ball for the rubber baseball.
He kept telling me...."hey, you might get hurt".

I sure did

Fredgarvin
Username: Fredgarvin

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ON the west side we played curb ball and strike out as well.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fredgarvin & Ordinary.....what is curb ball?

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 422
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine stated...
quote:

I don't buy "ofay" as being Pig Latin for anything, despite having raised the suggestion myself.

I'm beginning to think it's one of those expressions which works its way into language without most of its users even knowing what the hell it's supposed to mean.

I'm still curious to see if Blksoul_x has an opinion on it, but other than that, screw it.

Hey Ravine, sorry about the response delay toward your post response, (I've been in survival mode...keeping above water sort of speak.)

Nevertheless, to your question, I'm not sure of the exact origins of the term 'ofay'.

Reading some early works by native African writers and authors as well as some Black British writers often use the term 'ofay' to describe europeans/or arabs that would invade and interrupt the process of the Black African diaspora.

From my personal understanding, the more modern term is a subset of spoken words, one being an early term derived from the native spoken word from central African tribes to describe color, shape, form, etc, and 2nd, a more 2oth century term used to describe 'outsiders, 'aliens' within the African experience. etc.

I don't believe the original term of the word was not meant to insinuate a negative slur.

This is as much as I can offer...I will do a bit of research and refer later to your question.

Perhaps 'Zulu_warrior', can give a better origin of the term 'ofay'.

Chuckjav stated...
quote:

Ordinary...yes, my friend; that is strike-out.

I thought the actual name was 'Strik'em Out', at least that is what myself, friends and family in the 'hood' called it.

Ex: Let's go play some strik'em out!

Since we are on sports terms, does anyone remember the game of 'pom pom'?

I believe the game or the name 'pom pom' is exclusively Detroit.

The best way to desribe 'pom pom' would be sort of an amped up tackle version of the game 'spiders and flies'.

blksoul_atcha!
We are the ones we have been waiting on!

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ofay...

Origin is possibly from the Yoruba ofe, used to protect oneself from danger or trouble,

and yes I played "Strike 'em Out"

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5555
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the American Heritage Dictionary:
"The commonly seen etymology of ofay—Pig Latin for foe—is of less interest than the more likely story of this word's origins. The word, which is first recorded in the first quarter of the 20th century, must have been in use much longer if it is, as some scholars think, borrowed from an African source. Although this source has not been pinned down, the suggested possibilities are in themselves interesting. One would trace it to the Ibibio word afia, “white or light-colored.” Another would have it come from Yoruba ofe, a word that was said in order to protect oneself from danger. The term was then transferred to white people, regarded as a danger to Black people throughout the wretched days of slavery and beyond. "
American Heritage

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in Detroit (1965-1976)
I was all-up-in the "hood"
I was accorded the Title of Honorary Black Man by my football captain, at Mackenzie High School

Yet, Moses & Jesus as My Witnesses.....

I never heard anyone use the word "ofay"
I never-ever heard anyone refer to Detroit as "The-D"

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x & Zulu_warrior....Chuckjav here.

Did you ever play the baseball-oriented game, "500"?

I doubt that it originated in Detroit, but it was hugely popular amongst the city's youthful sporting populace.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2257
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blk_soul_10, I didn't grow up in Detroit, but we too played a game called pom pom pullaway.

If I recall, a gang of kids lined up on one of two goal or "safe" lines. A lone "it" kid was in the middle. The "it" sang out pom-pom pullaway which signaled the gang to sprint forward en-mass and try not to be tackled by "it".

Each kid tackled joined the "its", thereby increasing the "its" until all but one kid was left to fight his way through a gang of "its" in an effort not to be tackled.

I think that's how I broke my nose the first time.

pom-pom atcha!

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1473
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Been-Done"

As in..........

Man, I thought Circuit City been-done gone out of business?

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 424
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Gnome' stated about the game 'pom pom'

quote:

If I recall, a gang of kids lined up on one of two goal or "safe" lines. A lone "it" kid was in the middle. The "it" sang out pom-pom pullaway which signaled the gang to sprint forward en-mass and try not to be tackled by "it".

Yes, that is correct. Only difference is that we counted out 'pom pom', for example, pom pom 1, pom pom 2, pom pom 3, etc.

And Yes, I too, remember receiving a few bumps and bruises from playing the game of 'pom pom'.

Chuckjav stated...
quote:

Did you ever play the baseball-oriented game, "500"?

Yes, I do remember that game. I believe it was also called 'Home-run derby', or at least something similiar to home-run derby.

Thank-you Zulu for the explanation of the term 'ofay'.

*Here is another term that may be exclusively Detroit. (from the hood')

The term 'kut' is used through-out Detroit, and is a piece of exclusive verbiage referring to the home or place of residence.

Ex: After I leave the store, I am heading to the 'kut'.

'Kut' possibly derived from taking a 'short-cut' home (as in cut through the alley) or to 'cut across', other than the typical way home.

blksoul_atcha!
We are the ones we have been waiting for.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 534
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

500 was a popular game, I can't remember how the scoring went.

Tether ball, not a Detroit-unique thing, was a pretty rawkus game. Wasn't it banned at the schools at some point?

Red Rover may have been a variation of Pom Pom.

We also played a lot of Pepper, and Curb Ball (when you were alone).

Wish I could say that we played a lot of Buck Buck, but we never did. That Bill Cosby routine still cracks me up.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3321
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad used "I Don't give a Rats Ass" an awful lot during my upbringing. Has it been mentioned here before ?

(St. Rita's Parish).

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3322
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad used "I Don't give a Rats Ass" an awful lot during my upbringing. Has it been mentioned here before ?

(St. Rita's Parish).

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

500 played as follows:

Toss up the ball and hit it to fielders.
Ball caught on the fly was worth 100 points; ball caught on the bounce was 50 points. Some non-purists also played a one-hopper as 75 points.

First fielder to score 500 points, became the next batter.

Hey.........

Let's not forget the game of "in-between"
...or as Ohioans call it: "pickle"

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about - your block versus my block - tackle football....with no pads or helmet.

No wonder Detroit contributed so many great football players to the college and professional ranks!

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep Played 500, and the football adaptation of it with 100 points per catch...

There was a football game called pick 'em up- mess 'em up.

Then there was Red light/Green light as well...

And dont forget "My Car"....

Detroitbob
Username: Detroitbob

Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lower-east is the east side, all south of I-94!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5559
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The east side is not all south of I94. A lot of it isn't as a matter of fact.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3008
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x, wherever the hell you've been, welcome back, and thanks for addressing the "ofay" topic. Additional thanks to Zulu, Jcole, & everyone else who responded to my query.
Your comments, along with the dictionary excerpt offered by Jcole, are similar to the information I found on Wikipedia.
I may have devoted more curiosity to this matter than it deserved, but language fascinates me. (What can I say? I'm a geek.)
I was amazed to find that most of the people I asked had no memory of ever hearing, or seeing, it.
All of the meager input I collected reinforced my original suspicion that most, or all, of the folks who used the term didn't have a clue about what the hell it was, or what it meant. Sort of like (hold your breath; I'm going to try to go phonetically, here) "boojzhy," although with "boojzhy," the users actually are using it with a fair degree of accuracy.
Ah well. Thanks, everybody, and I apologize for what amounts to a mild case of thread-jacking.

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who can complete this known locker room chant among boys....?

"When I was one, hey, __________Hey
When I was two, hey, _____________Hey
When I was three, hey, ____________Hey
(continue till you get to ten)

Its in the locker, hey, ______________, hey
Its on the roof, hey, ________________, hey
Its on the table, hey _________________, hey
Its on my chin, hey ____________________, Hey

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine...I think I hear, what you're saying about "boojzhy"; sort of a corrupted "bourgeoisie"?

A reference to the emerging black middle-class, in Detroit - during the late 1960s & 70s.

Only a few of my Mackenzie friends used that word; more of a Mumford & Henry Ford High School idiom.

Ravine

Post Number: 3010
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Chuck, that's the one; kind of a cross between that noun form and the adjective form.

Not exclusively a Detroit usage, though.

Ravine

Post Number: 3011
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Chuck, that's the one; kind of a cross between that noun form and the adjective form.

Ravine

Post Number: 3012
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine....Indeed.

Prior to 1970s "bourgeoisie" moniker....some folks might have used the word "elite" (e-light) in reference to "better-than-thou" folk, in the "hood".

Even as a small child, this cracker was taking notes.

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 425
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Zulu' stated...
quote:

Zulu, you went way back on this on...I think I can remember. Each 'hood' had their own unique version, however I think I can piece together something that sounds familiar....

When I was one, hey, I use to run, Hey
When I was two, hey, I had a clue, Hey
When I was three, hey, I caught a plea, Hey
When I was four, hey, I needed more, Hey
When I was five, hey, I took no jive, Hey
When I was six, hey, I was quick, Hey
When I was seven, hey, I went to heaven, Hey
When I was eight, hey I roller skated, Hey
When I was nine, hey, I had some wine, Hey
When I was ten, hey, I had some gin, Hey.

Its in the locker, hey, a can of volka, hey
Its on the roof, hey, a hundred proof, hey
Its on the table, hey Black Label hey
Its on my chin, hey a pint of gin, Hey

I did my best to remember! I know one thing is for sure...that chant would rally any team or group!

Nice one Zulu, strictly the D!

blksoul_atcha!

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 426
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Zulu' stated...
quote:

Zulu, you went way back on this on...I think I can remember. Each 'hood' had their own unique version, however I think I can piece together something that sounds familiar....

When I was one, hey, I use to run, Hey
When I was two, hey, I had a clue, Hey
When I was three, hey, I caught a plea, Hey
When I was four, hey, I needed more, Hey
When I was five, hey, I took no jive, Hey
When I was six, hey, I was quick, Hey
When I was seven, hey, I went to heaven, Hey
When I was eight, hey I roller skated, Hey
When I was nine, hey, I had some wine, Hey
When I was ten, hey, I had some gin, Hey.

Its in the locker, hey, a can of volka, hey
Its on the roof, hey, a hundred proof, hey
Its on the table, hey Black Label hey
Its on my chin, hey a pint of gin, Hey

I did my best to remember! I know one thing is for sure...that chant would rally any team or group!

Nice one Zulu, strictly the D!

blksoul_atcha!

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 535
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about "the crib", as in "I gotta get back to the crib", or "let's go over to my crib". This phrase just might be indigenous to Detroit, but for some reason, I am thinking it might have originated in Chicago.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1484
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x....Similar chant from Mackenzie High School (circa 1973):

Look at the Score...Hey
...We Want Some More...Hey
..We Ain't Needy....Hey
....WE JUST GREEDY!

Ravine

Post Number: 3013
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My apologies for the multiplicipliciplicity of my response, although it is evident that they are not through my fault through my fault through my most grievous fault.

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Job Blksoul_x! I'm glad you put down the clean version....

Another portion went:

I'm the heart breaker, hey
the lady taker, hey
the soul shaker, hey
the baby maker, hey

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Long before all the clown-ass rappin' & rhymin' - there was bad-ass Dolemite.
That dude was so off-color....I cannot even begin to describe.

I recall listening to a scratchy 45-rpm, from the 1960s (maybe even the 50s), that totally blew my mind.

Strictly underground stuff!

Slipkid
Username: Slipkid

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I had heard, the term "Ford's" came from the day one would work for the family..."I work for the Fords", which became "I work at Ford's".

Not sure about "K-Marts"

Cdsypolt
Username: Cdsypolt

Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You already hit two of the three things that made me crazy about living in SE Michigan:
Ford's/Meijer's/Kroger's etc.
Doorwall

But you missed the one that drove me the craziest - ASHphalt (the pavement that you drive on), as opposed to the correct pronunciation (based on the actual letters in the word) of ass-phalt

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 386
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never heard "Geez-o-Pete" outside of southeastern Michigan, and I grew up in Toledo. Anyone else?

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: