Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Obligatory Auto Show Thread » North American International Auto Show « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Designerguy24
Username: Designerguy24

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So all the cars have been revealed. What car is your favorite so far of everything thats been shown? Mind is the 2010 Ford Taurus its such a beautiful car. Way to go Ford!

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 3:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ford division of the Ford Motor Company seems to have an identity crisis. Are they going to go with the three chrome-bar grille as their signature grille or what? The 2010 Taurus has a variation of the grille that I can't make out what Ford was trying to do. At least with Mercury and Lincoln I know what the front of my car is going to look like.

Also, what is up with the designers at Ford as it relates to the Ford brand? They design some of the most uninspiring designs I have ever seen. That three chrome-bar grill is hideous. Could you imagine the Mustang having that grille? Do you see any other car company in the world putting out something like that? At least have three bars that have a silver but muted look like a Cadillac, not a grille that looks like three elongated mirrors. Now I must admit that I like the front of the Ford Focus because it only uses a two-bar grille. Along with the sweeping headlights, this grille gives the Focus a much more sleeker look.

In addition, what's up with front bumpers that have what I call the "frown" look instead of the "smile" look? Every car that is sporty or considered to be a luxury car tend to have an up-turned grille on its bumper. I don't think I have ever seen a "frown" grille on a Lexus. Honda messed up the Civic by giving it that frown-looking front bumper. I see that a lot of the Ford division cars are coming out with this wide-mouth, frown-looking bumper. The future Ford Fiesta has this look, even the 2010 Taurus. Frankly, it looks like the mouth of a fish, and sorry, but I do not find the mouth of a fish to be sexy or attractive.

And one final thing. What is up with Ford and the side windows in the back of their cars? While every other car company puts the back side windows in the rear side doors, Ford puts the windows behind the doors in a spot where everyone else has the roof line of the car meet the side of the car. One of the reasons that I find the Nissan Altima to be such an appealing car is because of the way the metal of the roof line comes down to meet the the edge of the rear side doors. I guess Ford wants to give its drivers the least unobstructed rear side views as possible, but this design in their cars has always been a turn-off for me.

Well, I'm done, but I can't help wonder how is it possible that Ford is supposedly in better shape than GM and Chrysler when they put out such uninspiring, non-earth-shattering designs? At least over at Lincoln, the MKS looks good. With the exception of the Mustang, the Ford divison car designs put me to sleep.

Detmsp
Username: Detmsp

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"That three chrome-bar grill is hideous. Could you imagine the Mustang having that grille? Do you see any other car company in the world putting out something like that?"

Here are two that look similar.

Lexus HS250h:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aut oblog.com/media/2009/01/hs250h -press-1280-56.jpg

Honda Insight: mini version of the ford grillehttp://www.blogcdn.com/www.aut oblog.com/media/2009/01/honda- insight-drive-1280-11_opt.jpg

And if you want a car that has the smile look, check out the ridiculously happy looking mazda 3:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aut oblog.com/media/2009/01/2009_m azda3_5door---2.jpg

I think the whole thing about Ford being in better shape is kind of a misconception. The only reason Ford is considered to be in better shape is that they have more cash on hand. And the only reason that they have that cash on hand is that they mortgaged damn near everything the company owns. GM would have done the same to raise capital, but after the credit crunch it won't happen. Ford really got lucky that they decided to take out a line of credit before the economy tanked (and you can't say it wasn't luck it was foresight because none of the companies saw this coming)

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1816
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice catch, Detmsp. They should put teeth on that Mazda 3. It reminds me of Herbie the Love Bug.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: