Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Obligatory Auto Show Thread » Channel 4's Auto Show Coverage « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 280
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their Charity Preview show is verging on unwatchable. Rhonda Walker is having a hard time forming sentences and is clearly caught off-guard every time someone asks her a question that hasn't been rehearsed. The coverage is focusing little on cars and mostly on boring interviews with c-list celebrities (Ross the Intern from NBC), and their fashion editor continues to talk about shoes. And to top things off, Karen Drew just called Guy and Rhonda "Ruy and Gonda."

U-n-w-a-t-c-h-a-b-l-e

Trstar
Username: Trstar

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhonda is very watchable.

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 281
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the television is muted, I agree.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3009
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I don't have any particularly analytic comment on Rhonda Walker's journalistic abilities, but "unwatchable," oh no, I disagree...

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3015
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://img62.imageshack.us/img 62/1653/rhondawalker9356xx0.jp g

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2929
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhonda Walker referred to the outgoing GW Bush the other day, and his soon to be ending "pregnancy".

Rhonda hitting the Crazy Horse malt liquor again ?

On the other hand Guy Gordon sounds like he WORKS for the car company the way he sells cars during "newscasts".

'Ruy and Gonda'

LMFAO !

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 226
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While you guys drool all over Rhonda, I'll have Ama Daetz all to myself.

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 227
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While you guys drool all over Rhonda, I'll have Ama Daetz all to myself.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I missed seeing Kim this year. She was stunning last year, but I guess she is starting maternity leave.

And Jeff Daniels beats Kid Rock anytime. You would think I would be partial to Kid Rock. No way. He is just plain frowzy.

Purpleheart
Username: Purpleheart

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a gig at the show last night and had a chance to walk around before our call. What was crazy to me is what idiots do to get on television. You would believe it how they push and shove to get their ugly mug on TV. You should have heard them (what they were saying) like a bunch of school kids, "can you see me there," "look at the monitor," "your pushing at me too close." What a zoo!

Also it would have been nice to cover a few more of the acts, we were up there performing non-grata! And to give all that coverage to that idiot from Jay Leno. Almost made me puke.

Orange_barrel
Username: Orange_barrel

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the year that Lynda Carter hosted the auto show charity preview? I forget what station it was on back then, but that has to rank as the cheesiest, lamest charity preview show ever. I love Lynda Carter, but she didn't know anything about cars or the auto industry, nor should she be expected to. Combine that with the live format of the show, and you've got a primetime catastrophe. The show even had it's own cheesy theme song with Lynda's name thrown in for good measure.

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The production quality of the "local" news stations has been pretty pathetic for quite some time now. I only watch 4 because the other two are just so horrible.

Kim Adams is a doll. I loved waking up to her on the tube when she first came back after Katrina.

Rhonda spoke at my graduation. She was just terrible and I unfortunately I left my flask in the car. Guy is a complete moron, Devin is alright, Carmen is getting shaky, Chuck is fine; but Bernie shtick is really getting old -- he needs to goooooo!

edit: I forgot to mention that every time Andrew Humphries comes on the tube I wanna through a brick throw the screen. Has that dope ever called anything even close? Well, yeah ... recently over the Christmas break and he didn't let anyone forget it. Anyone who has a cat named "raindrop" is a frickin` doofus.

(Message edited by Baselinepunk on January 18, 2009)

(Message edited by Baselinepunk on January 18, 2009)

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 228
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good evening to you, Baselinepunk!

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL!

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 183
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve Garigola is a real idiot. On an unrelated note, the newscast after the Lions hired Jim Schwartz Steve G says that he has his tickets for the 2010 Super Bowl with the Lions. I know he was kidding, but what a stupid moron for saying that. Bernie Smilovitz also needs to go back to New York. He doesn't know jack about sports, he thinks he is funny when he is really annoying, and his bits are dated. Channel 4 all together is annoying.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3732
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blame Detroit's decline in media quality on the shrinking population base (and the remaining population's taste in entertainment).

In fact, it's not even Detroit news anywhere. Everything you see happens in the suburbs. I rarely see a good/campy story about Detroit unless it's something like the auto show or the tree lightning.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 446
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I prefer Bernie Smilovitz over any other TV news sports reporter in the Detroit media.
Detroitrise, I think that's because the suburbs is where the people are at and therefore where most of the news probably happens. I have noticed that too, but perhaps there are no good stories within the the city. Maybe something should be done on Cub's Georgia St. Collective, but much of what happens, happens in the suburbs.
I think Robbie Timmins needs to go like yesterday...or when Bonds left, she's starting to turn into a skeleton.
I like the way Andrew Humpries reports the weather, clear and concise, can't comment on his accountabilty, I usually just look out the window.
I will never watch FOX2 unless they come back as CBS or when CBS opens back an affiliate here. Fox Network is too flashy and tabloiduy to me.
Though it is commendable that WDIV has kept its studio within the city, while the rest are in the suburbs which is too bad.

(Message edited by dtowncitylover on January 18, 2009)

Roadmaster49
Username: Roadmaster49

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhonda is cute. In that photo above, she also looks very elegant. I love women of color more then pasty white women newscasters, personally.

Or at least brunettes from Italia as a last resort.

As for broadcaster quality, hhmmm. Detroit's news day in and day out can be pretty depressing. It's not necessarily a vibrant city. So some are drawn to metro areas that can mix in feel-good stories with the real news and do it standing next to green backdrops.

I don't know. If you are an up and comer reporter. Detroit would appeal to me, man or woman.

That one guy that interviewed Monica Conyers post Shrek flap, dude needs his own show ala Colbert

Purpleheart
Username: Purpleheart

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Channel 4 broadcasts in HD 1040i so I use them most often. I get Channel 7 in HD 720p and most often half screen. Channel 2 is the worst in broadcast quality and comes in 420p where I live. They also have the worst fluff.

Fluff= when the news reader picks up some stupid object that may have some close identity to the thing he/she is describing but for those with common sense they are "acting" out a scene. As is when they walk in the snow and say boy this is "snow" it makes me want to pick up a paper or read a web site.

Side note here- wish 62 (CBS) had local news again :-)

Eastdetroit224
Username: Eastdetroit224

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just cannot stand the new set of Fox 2, the scenes of Detroit in the backround are horrific. One scene looks like UFO's Flying through the air and is dark and depressing. The other scene shows Detroit with a red sky. Maybe taken on Devils night.

Orange_barrel

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Dtowncitylover, Fox 2 News is way too flashy and tabloid-like. I usually watch 7, but mainly because I'm a sucker for the Circle 7 logo. Local 4 strikes me as very uneven...

My wife likes to watch TV20 News at 10, or as she refers to it, "News from my basement". We both agree that the newscast has an overriding amateurish quality to it, probably because of the primitive-looking graphics and the minimalist news desk. But there's no cheeseball drama, no human interest stories that I could care less about, and it's over in 30 minutes. It kind of reminds me of the old WKBD 10 O'Clock News. There's something refreshing about that.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9159
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But there's no cheeseball drama, no human interest stories that I could care less about, and it's over in 30 minutes. It kind of reminds me of the old WKBD 10 O'Clock News. There's something refreshing about that.

It's also produced out of state, in Iowa I believe.

Orange_barrel

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge,

Are you serious?!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9165
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. It's hard to follow because they keep going out of business.

http://www.qctimes.com/article s/2009/01/09/news/business/doc 4963f3ca7b159895797002.txt

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 611
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Completely serious...taped/aired out of a studio in Cedar Rapids...

Local broadcasting is a thing of the past. Blame Clear Channel.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3734
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's also produced out of state, in Iowa I believe.

Bingo! :-)

Orange_barrel

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm speechless.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: