Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Chung's coming down? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1501
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drove by the old Chung's restaurant on Cass this afternoon and there were a couple of workers in a bucket lift in front of it. It looked like they were taking down the sign on top of the building.

That building has been hit by vandals recently. It looks like someone crashed a car into the front door, opening up a small hole in the building earlier this winter. One of the side doors has been kicked in recently, too. Graffiti has also been tagged on it in recent weeks. Anyone know what's going on with it?

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 697
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Returning to nature, apparently...

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 587
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chungs back in August 2006, looking (comparatively) decent.

f

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 229
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad. I remember eating there often, and even more often at the Golden Dragon on the other side of Cass. The last ghosts of Detroit's Chinatown are disappearing.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 248
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit had a Chinatown?

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 698
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh...indeed it did, young grasshopper...

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2148
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave and I celebrated our upcoming nuptials with lunch at Chung's after we picked up our marriage license. It was quite a place back then...28 years ago!!

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 526
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My ex and I would celebrate special events at Chung's back in the early-mid 70s. We had our wedding dinner at Stanley's on E. Milwaukee. I was shocked to see it closed when I went on a tour of the Masonic Temple last year. The marriage didn't work out either but the divorce has been a great success.

Eastsideal

Post Number: 230
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit had a Chinatown?

In fact, it has had two. The first was centered on Third south of Michigan Ave. from the early years of the 20th century. It was cleared out around 1960 as part of the "urban renewal" program accompanying the building of the Lodge Fwy., and there is no evidence at all of what was once there.

Most of the Chinese businesses then moved to the area around Cass and Peterboro, which was the corner that Chung's was on. Pretty much all the evidence that remains of that Chinatown now is a couple of Chinese-themed abandoned buildings, like the Chung's building, and the little Chinese sign kiosk that sits at the Cass-Peterboro corner. I think that even the drop-in center that sat behind Chung's for Chinese senior citizens in the area is now closed.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 427
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I finally figured it out, Kathleen. Is Dave a drummer? I know him casually through music events, and have always thought I should know you, based on your informative and interesting contributions here.
Congratulations to both of you on 28 years.

Hubbardfarmer
Username: Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandfather, a Baptist preacher who lived and had a ministry in the Cass Corridor, loved Chung's! Chinese food was his favorite, and Chung's was by far his favorite restaurant. He's been gone for 10 years or so, and every time I drive by the building I think of him. Thanks, Eastsideal, for the history on Detroit's Chinese communities.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2149
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Bobl. Dave is indeed a drummer. We met when he was doing the bar scene way back when.
Do you play? Have we met? I get out to see Dave play at some of his gigs and jam sessions a few times a month. Thanks for the good wishes.

BTW...how did my Chung's post make the connection?

(Message edited by Kathleen on January 27, 2009)

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 428
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might have met at the Music Menu? We don't get out much, and a promised job opportunity evaporated this week. Funds are low. Will introduce ourselves next time after gainful employment is found and we can justify nights out!
Chungs had a nice vibe, but for more casual and very late nights I always liked the HO HO INN on Second. It's been long gone, though. Dating myself again, but one can remove oneself from the Cass Corridor, but never the Corridor from one's self....

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update: They took the sign down and the lights that were suspended over the roof under the sign are now hanging there ready to fall down. The door on the left side of the picture is kicked open again and the glass block above it is now gone.

Cman710

Post Number: 588
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have any idea why it's being knocked down? Is this part of the city's demolition of sometimes seemingly random buildings, or is something actually going to be put there?

Kathleen, yet another building I owe it to you to have seen!

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to say there might be some sort of renovation going on because someone went to the trouble to get a bucket truck to take the sign down. But then I remember I live in Detroit where renovation is a dirty word and people really believe that "demolition is progress" malarkey. Looks like it won't be long until this building is another weed-choked, blighted parking lot.

Cman710

Post Number: 589
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's unfortunate. If you get a chance to take any pictures when you pass by, I'd be curious to see. Since I live hundreds of miles away, I cannot take a ride myself!

(Message edited by cman710 on January 28, 2009)

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 832
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ate at Chung's pretty regularly as recently as the late 80's. It became too much of a hassle getting in and out, between the druggies, hookers and other streeters. I parked as near the corner and as close to the door as possible. I'd come out and people would be sitting on the hood or leaning on my truck. It was a nice place with good food, much like Chris & Carl's, but street activity, robberies and auto break-ins were frequent. Not that I remember Chung's being robbed. I did miss being held up at Chris & Carl's by about 4 or 5 minutes one time and 10 minutes another.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2150
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 6:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobl: We'll look forward to meeting.

Cman: It's amazing how much we did manage to cram in on your two visits. I'm glad that they are continuing to prove worthy!

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Detroit's Chinatown fairly well, the one on Cass. It was still fairly ethnic until the late 1970's. There were restaurants, a Chinese grocer or two, a couple of Chinese restaurant supply businesses I think.

Aren't all major Chinatowns established by money from the Chinese government? It seems like the elaborate Chinatown block created in Philadelphia in the 1980's was done by money granted from China. I had friends living in Philly then and saw a newspaper article about their new Chinatown. Maybe if downtown and midtown Detroit keep drawing more crowds and residents a new Chinatown could be in the future of Detroit? Who knows the president of China in this blog? Email him and drop a hint.

Marshall
Username: Marshall

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to frequently drive from Northwest Detroit (Livernois and 6 mile area) to the Chinese restarants in what was then Chinatown. Chungs, the Ho Ho inn on 2'nd and Prentice, the Golden Dragon, and for a treat Henry Yee's Forbidden City downtown. Going down there was always worth the drive.

Eastsideal

Post Number: 232
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Taiwan government bankrolled several Chinatown improvement projects in other cities back after we cut off relations with them in favor of the mainland. I don't know if they put any money into Detroit or not, or if there is still money flowing directly from overseas for this sort of thing. But there has not been all that much Chinese immigration into the Detroit area in recent years compared to other big cities, and that which there has been has gone into the suburbs. So I don't see any money coming here, and what money there has been has been spent on junk for which there was no market (see: Asian Village).

What a weird thread for people to be venting their emotional dramas on. But then I'm happy that anyone out there still cares about this city.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2149
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little while ago, a forumer made a map of Illitch owned properties. What was the URL to the map with the Illitch Midtown Properties?

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on January 28, 2009)

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1506
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.theverifiabletruth. com/

The map is in the right-side column midway down the page.

Eastsideal

Post Number: 234
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More on the original Detroit Chinatown.

Here is a picture of a Chinese celebration, sometime during the '40s, along Third. The WSU site says "honoring Chaing Kai Shek" but I think with the lion dancer it looks like Chinese New Year. You can see Chung's in its original location of 1343 Third here. Its sign is just below the American flag on the left.

Here is the same building probably in the late 50s and very near the end of the neighborhood's time. Note that the streetcar tracks are now gone. In the foreground is what was my parents' favorite restaurant in the area, Wong's, which apparently had really good shrimp dishes. They used to eat there before shows at the Cass or Shubert theaters, before Tigers games, and after Lions games.

Of course, both of these photos are from the great WSU Virtual Motor City site. More old Detroit Chinatown, including larger versions of these pictures, can be seen here:
http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/i/image/image-idx?c=vmc;page=index
Go to "Topics" - "Local" - "Ethnic Groups" or just search on "Chinese"

(Message edited by eastsideal on January 28, 2009)

(Message edited by eastsideal on January 28, 2009)

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Victor Limm's was downtown too. Next to Michigan
Mutual. Didn't have to drive to get Chinese on
lunch hours. It was pretty good.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know a woman who grew up near the area of the orginal "Chinatown" in the 30s and 40s.

She once told me she had quite a few Chinese American classmates in her grade school. I can't recall which grade school she attended. She estimated that her grade school was probably 1/5 chinese american at one point but that they were moving out of the neighborhood rapidly at the time, replaced mostly by white families from the deep south (like her own family). This would hav been before post-war freeway and urban renewal projects completely changed that part of Detroit.

She described her grade school as a real melting pot at first: kids from old detroit families (I figure mostly Scots Irish and Germans in this part of town) and a few Irish Catholics mixed with kids who were "Syrian", southern white (I reckon Scots Irish), Chinese, plus a lot of various kids with central/eastern european lineage who passed through for a year or two before moving on to other neighborhoods.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 260
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My only memory of Chung's when it was still open, was when my former band would play at the Gold Dollar. We'd make a point to get carry out from Chung's before every show. Good food!

(Message edited by chub on January 28, 2009)

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 164
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So it's up in the air regarding what's going on there, I guess.

Yesterday I drove by but the trailer/bucket truck was gone. It's definitely on my list of places to watch now.

Jtf1972
Username: Jtf1972

Post Number: 111
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I understand, Chinatown was never the same after the Lodge ripped through the center of it.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's what gets me about it. It would be easy to chalk it up to a slumlord who doesn't care and is leaving it to rot. That would explain why the door is left ajar, the holes in the Cass-side walls left open to the elements and why the graffiti hasn't been cleaned up.

However, someone spent the money to properly take the sign down. If it just disappeared one day I would chalk it up to scrappers, but someone took the time to bring in a bucket truck to do it. Also, the back of the building facing Peterboro looks like it could be occupied. I have no idea if that's true or even what might be there, but I think I remember seeing some sort of signage (in some sort of Asian writing) toward that end of the building. And to top it all off, graffiti has been consistently kept off the building until recently. The building always seemed like it was mothballed quite well until something crashed into its front door a few weeks ago.

I don't what's going on with Chung's. Actually I hope someone is doing something with it because it would be a significant addition to the corridor. However, I am not holding my breath. Empty building with doors left wide open in this town don't last very long.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, here are a couple of threads that touch on Detroit's old Chinatown and some of the Asian influences in the city. I thought there was one big thread a few years ago about Detroit's Chinatown, but I can't find any evidence of it.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/93468.html

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/10041/169833.html

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 423
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

E_hemingway

However, someone spent the money to properly take the sign down. If it just disappeared one day I would chalk it up to scrappers, but someone took the time to bring in a bucket truck to do it.

Who would question a work crew removing a sign? Just look official, some froms from Staples and a clipboard.

Not all scrappers are destitute crackheads.

Verifiable
Username: Verifiable

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No need to visit TVT in order to get the link to the map that E_hemingway is referencing simply click: Map of Foxtown area Property Owners

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: