Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Went for a flight today « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 687
Posted From: 68.43.13.146
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 4:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was a nice clear day so I broke-out the camera for some aerial shots, however I think my camera had a hard time focusing through the airplane window. Or I need to clean the lense.
downtown1
downtown2
rouge plant
poletown plant
packard plant
detroit gasket
sewage plant
belle isle
Parke-Davis & UAW
studebaker-piquette-fisher21
Lafayette Park-St Aubin cut
steel
Chyrsler Jefferson

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 4383
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 4:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well aren't you just the coolest. Sweet pics Mike!

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 2129
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 4:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amazing, MikeM. Thanks so much!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 320
Posted From: 68.42.250.243
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 4:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great photos. I was on the Detroit River and don't recall a 757 flying overhead at about 1000 feet. Nice shot of Detroit showing 333 W. Fort Street building. Finally!!!

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 68.41.159.150
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 5:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another reason to love this forum and visit often: Right up there, in living color!

Lowell, did you ever imagine?

Thanks to you both, FlyGuy Mike M. and forum founder LB!

Mikem

Post Number: 688
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 5:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just lucked out today. Flew in from New York. Traffic was getting backed up so they took us south of the usual arrival (blue, below) and vectored us over Windsor, south of Zug Island, back northeast over midtown, then back around to the west to join final (red course). The shots are posted out of order, but the first was Belle Isle from about 8000', Chyrsler, downtown and the UAW shots while descending to about 5000, the Rouge, sewage plant, Packard, Poletown, etc from maybe 4000'? Also, they slowed us way back to about 220 mph which helped give me time to snap some shots.

vectors

Kazooexplorer
Username: Kazooexplorer

Post Number: 550
Posted From: 68.42.86.246
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 5:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did not get as lucky coming in today. My path followed the blue one out of LaGuardia. Alas. Still a nice view though!

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 185
Posted From: 68.40.110.98
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 5:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you give us captions as to what we're looking at? I know some of them, but not all.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 1061
Posted From: 12.75.20.130
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 5:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice shots MikeM. Thanks a lot for posting them. My favorite part of any flight is looking out the window at Detroit.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 2199
Posted From: 64.228.209.122
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike Great stuff! Were you flying or riding? The glare issues are due to tring to focus through those thick ass tiny windows... Nothing wrong with the lens.

A321-atcha!

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 186
Posted From: 68.40.110.98
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 6:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you give us captions as to what we're looking at? I know some of them, but not all.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 1582
Posted From: 198.208.223.35
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 6:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hold your cursor over the picture - the captions are there.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 1477
Posted From: 63.84.207.67
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW....great stuff, thanks a bunch for sharing...

The perspectives you must see on a daily basis on flights in and out must be amazing and with repition comes familiarity....like your great work on the missing round houses of Detroit...

Thanks again for the great stuff.

Mikem

Post Number: 690
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andrew, I'm not telling.

Jerome, after the downtown shots, you have the Ford Rouge complex looking straight north, then the GM Hamtramck Assembly plant looking towards the northwest, then the former Packard factory looking southeast (I-94 along the bottom). Next is a plant that used to be the Detroit Gasket Co, on Fullerton at Evergreen. Don't know what it is now. Took the picture because it looks like a Kahn style roof. Next is the Detroit sewage treatment plant on W Jefferson at the Rouge, with I-75 at the top and Zug Island at the bottom right corner. After the Belle Isle shot is one of the former Parke-Davis factory, now Stroh Place, on the left and the new UAW GM Riverfront Training Center on the right. Then comes the shot of Piquette Avenue with the former Studebaker, Ford, and Fisher Body plants. I-94 clips the bottom right of the photo. What's between Ford and Fisher? EMF? Next shot is Lafayette Park east of downtown, then the Great Lakes Steel plant in Ecorse. The last is the Chrysler E Jefferson assembly plant.

Hey Rock, I didn't see the Winsome at berth:
GPYC

Heading north over Wayne State:
downtown3

Do realize that most of these were clipped from larger shots. The Poletown and Piquette shots came from this one:
overall

Clipping out a 500 pixel, 50 kb piece gives me something of this size and quality - a bit raw without some enhancement. I94/I75:
clipping

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 4259
Posted From: 67.71.65.3
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great shots MikeM as usual! Looks like you flew over my house!
These are some of the best photos ever!
Thanks for sharing.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 903
Posted From: 67.169.211.203
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice work Mike. Great shots of the attractions.
I saw you over my house, 14032 Northlawn, Detroit, near Wyoming and Schoolcraft, Detroit 04.

That's The Rock down there in GP raking leaves on the estate. I'll be damned, he's got socks on. Boating season must have ended already.
jjaba

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 157
Posted From: 205.188.116.196
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Mikem! Thanks for the pictures! I saw my studio building over there by Old Tiger Stadium! Its so tiny!

Mikem

Post Number: 691
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O.K., now you're pulling my leg! Although if you look closley you can find familiar sights:

stevie

Mikem

Post Number: 692
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Skulker, sightseeing is the better part of the job and repetition does help one find things quicker and easier. For instance Sunday I drove up to some junkyard off of McNichols, checked out some old grocery store signs, some of TSM's rides from the '70s, squashed flat, etc. But you can only see so far on the ground; I had no idea how far back the yard stretched behind its walls made of wheel-less truck trailers. Today I picked it out immediately and could see acres of cars and junk behind the walls - stuff nobody ever sees.

The other thing that amazes me is how much I can see at once. Not in terms of land area but in details. Those two shots above, of Poletown and downtown were taken seconds apart. I can move my eyes from looking down on Cafe deTroit to the Plymouth Lynch Road plant to Palmer Park in seconds whereas to drive around to see those sites would take an hour. I can't say the same for other cities though. Flying into New York or LA is still overwhelming to me. I can pick out a few things here and there, but there's too much to see and it's all moving by too fast. Familiarity definitely makes a difference.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 2200
Posted From: 64.228.209.122
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike... My non-expert aviation opinion based on the photos above tells me you were up front in the left seat.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 392
Posted From: 66.167.58.166
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely fantastic Mike. Thanks so much!

Great shot of Piquette Ave. chrysalis of the auto industry, two pics below Belle Isle -- which is also another great shot. Similar to the angle that inspired this painting.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 849
Posted From: 67.101.250.175
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem, thanks for the great photos!

I always get a kick out of flying into Detroit. I still get excited looking for specific buildings and landmarks. Sometimes I can even make out my parents neighborhood. The last time I flew in with my son I excitedly described all the buildings roads etc. we were flying over on our approach, my then 9 month old was quite impressed with daddy geting excited pushing his face up to the glass.

One thing, mikem ... evergreen and "fullerton"? I don't recognize the building ....

Mikem

Post Number: 696
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rustic, it's actually between Burt and Evergreen on the north side of the railraod tracks that parallel Fullerton. In the picture below, Fullerton comes in from the west (top left) along the north side of the tracks and ends at Burt Rd across from the factory. The tracks continue along the south side of the factory. Evergreen clips the lower right of the picture as does the Jefferies. Any ideas?

map
zoomout

Also what is the large warehouse on the south side of the tracks?

warehouse

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 850
Posted From: 130.132.177.245
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem thanks for the clarification. I'll have to think about it (burt@ glendale ...) I still can't recall it, tho I used to ride my bike past it all the time coming home from Rouge Park. (I used to regularly play tennis at those nice courts (har-tru?) on the NE end of the park (the courts at the closer-to-home Stoepel park unfortunately were not as nice and they often more crowded).)

That large warehouse, I think, used to be a Kmart or Farmer Jack(?) distribution hub. Also there was a place where the city collected and, I think, burned old tree limbs etc. but as I recall that was closer to Southfield on the south side of Jeffries/rr tracks. (Look for a standard CoD yellow brick building with a short fat smokestack if memory serves.)

That industrial stretch along that west side rail line is a real patchwork maze, some of those factories are nearly impossible to get to unless you know exactly where you are going. If you look at a map you'll kinda see what I'm talking about but it is worse than that in person. In addition, the truck traffic, guards and loose guard dogs plus the rail spurs made exploring by bicycle as a kid challenging, to put it mildly. Exploring by car is MORE difficult ... one way streets, deadends, rail cutoffs etc.

Mikem

Post Number: 697
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm calling it the Detroit Gasket Co. because that's what my 1947 map calls it.

Davedoc
Username: Davedoc

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1947 my birth year mike (St. Martins eastside)